1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

Hobnail boots are cool, but you'd never be able to wear them indoors.

2. Grove

Grove Senior member

William Lennon?

3. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

[​IMG]

Ralph Lauren Purple Label 'Gifford' jacket.

4. Ciaran

Ciaran Active Member

Can I ask why the 1920 ZIP SHIRT INDIGO is over 40% more expensive on cabourn.co.uk than it is on a Japanese online retailer? I know sales tax is less in Japan but still...

5. zissou

zissou Senior member

Made in Japan and imported to the U.K.?

1 person likes this.
  6. Psyko

Psyko Member

Hi, again.

I was able to visit some of the stores that were recommended in Berlin, and 14oz stood out as a shop with very nice and informative staff. I talked at length about denim with them, but was unfortunately unable to find the sort of loose fitting denim I was looking for. I asked them why they didn't stock Cabourn anymore, and they informed me that due to some disagreements within the company that led to several people leaving and the closing of the largest shop at Kudam, they were now stocking far less brands than previously.

Burg und Schild was also a nice denim shop, with some seriously nice leather jackets.

Where I found the jeans I most liked was actually at the Levi's store where they had vintage fit 501's from the 1890s, 1930s and 1950s. So if I can't wait until I go to Tokyo this summer so that I can buy the Cabourn jeans there, I might just buy some vintage Levi's.

And finally - seeing that I got some good tips for Berlin; I'm going to Rome this Thursday. Does anyone have some stores they would care to recommend?

Thanks

7. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

interview with David Keyte of Universal Works:

https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/the-blog/interview-david-keyte-universal-works-main-man

What do you think about people dressing like they’re 1940s explorers?

I went to a swanky bar in London on the weekend that had been there since the 30s, and there were a bunch of people there who were dressed like they were from the 30s or 40s, and do you know what? They looked absolutely amazing. If anyone dresses up and makes an effort, then good luck to them — I love it.

But I don’t want to dress like that, and I don’t want to make clothes like that. Not because I think they’re wrong, it just doesn’t interest me. If you want to dress like you’re a Himalayan mountain climber from 1952, then what’s the point, because you’re not. Things have moved on. We’ve changed and developed new things. You can’t uninvent them. I do need a pocket to fit my fat iPhone because phones have got bigger. I want to acknowledge that and move with it, because I think it’s a more interesting way to design, and a more interesting way to live.

8. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

I'll be visiting the Army Gym in London on Saturday, so I was just taking a look at the website to see what might be available. Two questions come to mind:

1) Can anyone that's been there recently say if any of the current "Sale" items might be available in the shop?

2) Is it just my sceptical eye or is the price level of the Lybro collection edging dangerously close to the Authentic and Mainline price level?

9. conak

conak Well-Known Member

Interesting point, but I find it a bit odd coming from Univeral Works, who seem to almost exclusively make clothes that look like the outfits of blue collar workers from pre-1960s. If if a bunch of Cabourn fans got together in a pub I suppose it might look like a group of old time explorers, but a bunch of UW fans would similarly look like a 1950s protest of French dock workers. Maybe pretending to be a hard worker is more legitimate than pretending to be an explorer? But why does appreciating the aesthetics of a design constitute make believe? I love my Mallory jackets because of the look and materials; because it has aesthetics that were designed not purely as form following function like modern activewear. I specifically don't wear such items in hard hiking or working environments because I want to preserve the look, and I wear modern, uninspiring technical garments for hard wear specifically because I don't care if they are ruined.

1 person likes this.
  10. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Well put conak and I absolutely agree. I mean just look at the shoes UW sells not to mention as you already noted the jackets. Besides, with just about everything you're going to be wearing something with a derivative design. And I would add that depending on what you're wearing it won't necessarily look Himalayan mountain climber from 1952 to 99% of the population because they would never guess someone wore that sort of piece mountain climbing then. An Everest is another story, but there's nothing wrong with wearing that as it's intended when the weather is appropriate. Also though, it tends to be only certain pieces that in my opinion come off as a piece from back in the day. Fabrication and condition make a big difference. I wore my SS12 yellow Cameraman with Mackintosh upper and linen lower the other day (arguably still my favorite Cabourn piece to this day). While it stands out it doesn't look to my eye like it's from some 30s, 40, 50s design. It looks like a substantial piece intended for wear in the rain or maybe on a boat (in my opinion), but I didn't look like I just fell off the page of some old issue of National Geographic.

It depends on how you wear the pieces as well. Apart from the outerwear, it's my selvedge denim (which is from Gap at about $35 a pair), maybe some of my sweaters and maybe some of my shoes and definitely my watches that would lend to that look, but that's about it. Still all of those are new items that are largely in amazing condition. And I would UW in a similar fashion and it still wouldn't look like I was some mid 20th century laborer. In fact I'd love a UW Harris Tweed Baker's Jacket. I've just never been able to catch one on sale.

11. Werder

Werder Active Member

Doesn't Superdenim stock Cabourn anymore?

12. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

13. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

Was just going to recommend this place too. I know Psyko has already left Berlin, but for anyone interested, it's worth the visit:

http://www.feinundripp.de/

(And you're also not too far from The Standard for some good pizza.)