1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

75£ is a bargain for the cropped CWP. Why no long one for the price as well? :satisfied:

2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I'm sure they would work fitted, but that's not what I was saying anyway. There are different degrees to which something can fit and from the photos the duffel looked even more relaxed than your standard duffel, hence my comment. That said I trust PhilVo's opinion on fit.

[​IMG] So ridiculous they didn't put this online. What version of the full length CWP was it?

Agreed. I've have bought myself a second CWP at that price as well as one for my Dad.

3. wms68

wms68 Well-Known Member

I'm just not a fan of the length of the CWP so left if for someone else to pick up as it would have just sat in the wardrobe or ended up on ebay. It was the unlined summer version in dark olive.

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I was referring to a second cropped CWP as I already have one. I prefer the length on that one and it's a great piece. It may have a bit of a smell, but it well air out. It's also treated even though it doesn't feel like it. Water beads off of it.

5. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

The duffel coat arrived just now. What can I say? This thing is so OVER THE TOP: The fabric is superb (what else can you say about 750g/m of pure Cashmere?) and I love the colour. The navy is not too bright and is perfect for the coat. Absolutely timeless. Even though I like the Orange and green versions as well, navy is in my opinion the colour to go for: You don't want to spend this much money and not have a truly timeless piece. In terms of fit, the duffel is spot on and will allow for some layering - I am only wearing a dress shirt below the coat on the pics. I am wearing a size 50 in my Everest Parka and 50/52 in most of my Cabourn gear and went for a 50 in the
    Coat as well. The duffel is bit wider at the bottom which underlines the oversized look without actually looking ill-fitting. I will post a review of the Oil Cloth Everest Parka later and also compare it with my navy Ventile one. Sorry for the office bathroom pics, that's the best I could do for now.

Also two pics of the off-white shirt and gunmetal wool V-neck I got for my dad. On pictures, these two items didn't actually really overwhelm me, but once you feel them and see them in reality, they are super cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Following up on my earlier post, below my review of the Black Twist Everest Parka:

The jacket is super heavy and the Oil Cloth outer material is very sturdy - in fact, it looks kind of vintage and is quite oily. That's the kind of feel I would expect of a proper wax jacket. I particularly like the detailing with the brown interior lining and the red lining in the sleeves. The brown lining seems to add some extra warmth and has a rough touch to it (a bit like the material that big coffee bags are made of). Compared to my navy Ventile Everest Parka, this jacket is definitely sturdier, however, not as puffy / light weight, which will likely result in a less insulation. The waxed one is ideal for a walks in the forest between trees or to ride a bike ride - basically anything that could potentially rip any other jacket's outer shell won't do any harm to this one. Overall, the Ventile one looks a bit classier as it is not that faded and can therefore be worn with a suit. I like them both - crazy how two jackets can turn out so differently with a change of fabric.

Again, please excuse the office toilet snapshots!

1 person likes this.
  7. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

All looks great to me PhilVo

That's quite a collection

8. irbe

irbe Senior member

Great haul, so jelly..

9. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

True - we should all take a snapshot of our collections [​IMG]

10. Eric Gill Sans

Here's my collection

[​IMG]

And I've got enough little brown envelopes with spare buttons in to garnish a Pearly King

11. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

Wow!

12. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

13. Phil McCrackin

Phil McCrackin Senior member

Not far off walking around in a sleeping bag, not for me !

14. The Syllabus

The Syllabus Well-Known Member

15. badeggcat

badeggcat Senior member

Looks more practical with the angled bottom pockets. The bottom pockets on the Everest jacket were straight down, making them rather awkward as hand warmers

16. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

True, but you could also slip your hands behind the pockets on the Everest, which I mostly do.

17. desolate

desolate Active Member

I think the "Everest" is plenty for the UK

However I could see the new parker working well as a Ski/Outdoor coat in Scandinavia or the Alps. (i.e. you could hang on the the terrace seat at the apres bar long after most people have gone inside.)

18. Eric Gill Sans

I really like the new design Maxi-Antarctic Parka

Quite by accident Nigel finds himself bang on the money producing a very large oversized parka just as all the big luxury fashion houses are doing the same - some at eye watering prices but without the originality or provenance that Nigel instills into his garments

My only critique on the new parka is that the pockets on mine and on the original are down filled and insulated to keep your hands toasty

On this, it looks like it's just Ventile with no insulation

However they are bigger and in a better position

On the subject of practicality for the UK, I have had plenty of wear out of mine in the UK over last 5 years, believe me

It can get pretty cold and it's been a bit of a life saver especially when we had those two very harsh winters back in 2010 and 2011

19. Eric Gill Sans

Now the Parka and pockets are bigger, you can't do the Sir Ed Hillary 'hands in pockets' walk

[​IMG]