1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Grintricha

Grintricha Senior member

The country of manufacture needn't be an issue, but anyone who wants to suck sports direct's schlong needs to accept they are no longer 'quality' (and yes footie teams included, kapow! take that! Did he just say that? I think he did )

2. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

The country of manufacture needn't be an issue if the brand doesn't make an issue out of the country of manufacture, if you catch my drift. Like Nigel Cabourn England.

The country of manufacture needn't be an issue if you don't care too much about responsible manufacturing and workers' rights.

The country of manufacture needn't be an issue if... I really wanted a third one, but I've run out of self-righteous sentences. :)

3. FGle

FGle Member

Hey mates,

just in case anybody is interested. I'am selling a Cabourn US down clip jacket, size 46. You can find it in the marketplace.

Cheers,
    Flo

4. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

Guys, I am searching for an opportunity to buy the Cabourn Cashmere Duffel Coat from AW13 since a while... Does anybody know where to get one in size 48/50? Any colour is fine.

5. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Burberry Trenchcoats are still made in England, and their Cashmere scarves are made in Scotland.

Paul Smith has the British Collection which is made in England, but currently it only covers a range of ties. Many of their leather belts are made in England and scarves made in Scotland. Their Mens Mainline Collection is made primarily between Italy, Belgium and occasionally Japan and I don’t think you can criticise the quality, although you might wish to criticise the design and the retail pricing. They also occasionally have shoes made in Northampton although the bulk of the shoes are made in Italy. The PS label is primarily made in Portugal. It’s not until you look at the Jeans and Red Ear Collections + bags, trainers and cufflinks that you will see a made in China/Hong Kong tag.

6. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

14oz Germany on line

7. Eric Gill Sans

Thanks for the info

I'll bow to your knowledge

I've got a Burberry Brit trench coat from 2 seasons ago and it's made in Thailand

I've also got a thick wool Burberry Porsonum overcoat, very English in style from last AW season which was over 2K full retail and it's made in Portugal

8. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

Yeh, but only 56 - and the coat is still quite pricey compared to the discounts that Barney's and some of the other retailers offered during their sale

9. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Actually just lookig on Paul Smith website this morning and some of their jackets are now made in London; this for example:

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/uk-en/sh...y-wool-cashmere-double-breasted-pea-coat.html

not very scientific but if type in Made in England in the search over a 100 products come up including: socks, scarves, cufflinks, jewellery, shirts, hats, but not that jacket. Would be interesting to know who they are using to produce that jacket?

10. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

Going by the look of the jacket, I'd suspect it's by Panache Outerwear in Bow, London. They do the Mallorys, cashmere jackets, Atkinson etc for Cabourn, i.e. stuff quite similar to the Paul Smith jacket.

11. wms68

wms68 Well-Known Member

I have spoken to the Cabourn guys and they were very open and upfront regarding manufacturing location and reasoning behind it, well in advance of any stock being available.

I own a fair amount of Cabourn, a mix of Mainline, Authentic and now Lybro - the new Lybro 6 pocket jacket is great and half the proce of the very similar Authentic Tenzing of last season, in fact a 1/3 of the price as i picked mine up from Japan for £195.

More info on this blog regarding the Lybro range
    http://ponytailjournal.com/womens-wear/cabourn-x-lybro-does-wmenswear/

12. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

Agreed. Bryan from the Army Gym took me over to the Cabourn LCM show last year, which was when the Lybro range was first introduced. At the show, everybody was mentioning that Lybro would be targeting younger customers with its more affordable prices - and that those pieces would be manufactured mostly in China to get to that price point, but that quality would still be great.

Great blog indeed. I think Lauren Yates was at the Army Gym a few days ago.

13. 1989thenumber

Do you think that blog post is her impartial opinion?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  14. wms68

wms68 Well-Known Member

No idea, do you? Anything i had read or heard on Lybro it was clear where it was manufactured to allow for a more entry leve price - but agree the main label is misleading.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  15. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

Ha..........

16. Eric Gill Sans

Nice blog

Thanks for the post

'Hot headed Internet dudes'

17. 1989thenumber

"Hot headed internet dudes" are a vital part of the food chain. They help to keep fawning fashion bloggers in check.

18. evel

evel Active Member

Quote:
    I havent read anything on line saying the range is manufactured abroad, its certaiinly not mentioned on the website, all i have read is that it is an old english work wear brand that nigel has re introduced (so not a collaboration imo). With the knowledge that this is made in china/hong kong i think it starts to look very expensive again compared to brands like SEH kelly and private white who ARE at a similar price bracket with equally high standards AND manufactured in the UK. The piece i come back to is the sweatshirt, ok its reversable, but it costs more than japanese loopwheeled equivelents by real mccoys/buzz rickson/SDA etc...

Tbh i would say that blog post misses the point most of the internet criticism isnt about the production location its the non transparacy of it, yes the guys in the london shop might well be open about it, but this is the internet age and i know that nigel likes medicine balls, boxing and big tyred bikes but not where his new range has been made, which just seems a bit too convient.

*just want to point out i do love the designs though and will be copping most of the range when it hits the sales!*

Oh and That blog girl and Nigel need to get a room, but thats another story....