1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

Not at all - very impressed with your knowledge
    I'll be 47 next week so I am sure I can nerd out on many subjects - just not on military medal ribbon colours

While on the subject of SS15 - I'm going to be hard pressed not to split between Cabourn Authentic range and the Fred Perry collab
    Love the shirt with the collar tab and the track suit

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. Eric Gill Sans

Spotted Drew looking nervous hiding behind a clothes rail and a severed head in a box

Has there been a murder ?

3. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

I'm liking the look of the items in that SS15 video - there's an interesting looking shirt with large buttons on a button down collar (if I saw correctly).

Incidentally - just in case this benefits anyone: my SS14 Canadian Jacket had to be thoroughly washed because of a bad spillage. Washing machine job - either that or never wear it again. Of course, all the wax came off. Since then I've been searching for a re-waxing service (didn't want to undertake the job myself). This applies to the UK only, but Johnson's cleaners do this service. They're a high street chain, so should be easy to find. I thought this would be a niche service (especially for non Barbour items) and was quite surprised to find that a national chain provides it. Tried loads of local Barbour stockists to no avail.

The Canadian Jacket is in washed army. While I really like the item - and I know it divided opinion when it came out - I've found it to be extremely unforgiving in general use. Basically you can't do anything without picking up a mark or two. This I found quite annoying. I mean, a berry fell off a tree in a forest during a walk and indelibly stained the shoulder! Maybe I've just been unlucky with it. Anyway, I'm back to a clean slate now.

4. gus49

gus49 Well-Known Member

may have been worse, it may have been a bird dropping.. that is supposed to be good luck!!

5. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I actually have a bird dropping on my orange SS13 Aircraft Jacket. It's quite small and doesn't look to have stained it in any way. It's dried by now and I keep forgetting to get a brush to use with dishwashing soap to get it off. I have a spare jacket so I'm not worried and I'm quite certain it won't leave a mark. The power of ventile?

6. Eric Gill Sans

Interesting - have you had it done yet and if so how much did it cost and were you pleased with the end result ?

7. jacksonn

A bird dropping would have been better. This thing was effectively a miniature bomb filled with permanent red dye.

8. jacksonn

£59 up front. It's in now - two to three week turnaround time. I'll feed back on here when it returns but it was a case of getting it done or losing interest in the jacket, as it's just not right without the wax. The staff examined it thoroughly before submitting it, which I took as a good sign. I'm optimistic that it'll come back sorted.

9. Eric Gill Sans

Thanks, let us know
    £59 isn't a bad price if it's done well
    I think Barbour charge around £80 ish from what I've been told

10. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

11. J-M Couturier

J-M Couturier Member

hi

I've bought a few Mallorys and also a Business Jacket but dont seem to have got any of the medal ribbons with them. I think they look fantastic and dont think they can be bought separately? Where are they if you get a jacket with one? In one of the pockets?

12. jacksonn

Thanks Nick that's good info and it does look a quality service. Missed them when I was searching. That said I'm quite pleased I can simply drop-in / pick-up with Johnson's. No postal side to it. If they do a good job, all is well.

13. Grove

Grove Senior member

I've heard good things about those guys but to be honest reproofing is a doddle to do at home so any of the professional services is bound to do a good job.
    Beeswax jackets can also go in the washing machine with no ill effects. Whereas wet cleaning a Thornproof type wax jacket is a bloody nightmare. Wax Jackets Cleaned did a great job on my Barbour's and AFAIK are the only people who will actually wash that type of jacket but it was pricey.

14. conak

conak Well-Known Member

next time leave the jacket at home when robbing banks and watch what they put in the bag

15. gus49

gus49 Well-Known Member

Not intending to be flippant about a red berry bomb like that, might have a sense of humour failure myself.
    [​IMG]

16. jacksonn

No, I was able to see the funny side at the time. Kind of. It was just so completely random - and of course I had to be wearing a very light coloured, very thin Cabourn jacket! But by this time the jacket already had two or three quite bad marks on it. I'm expecting/demanding good luck with it from now on. Washed army is not a forgiving colour.

17. Eric Gill Sans

I don't think they come with every jacket and probably not the Mallorys

Mine came with the Business Jacket and it was in a small brown envelope in one of the inside pockets

When I bought the cricket stripe Compton sports coat, that came with a small metal RAF pin, again inside a small envolpe in the top pocket.

I think these sort of badges are very popular with Cabourn fans in Japan

18. imperium6

imperium6 Member

Hi an original button medal ribbon if bought off ebay would be a couple of quid but no cabourn arrow but you could pick or choose the medal, country it represents or even non clashing colours with a bit of searching

19. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

So you threw it in the wash and all the wax came off and it just looked like a clean, un-waxed version of the jacket?

I'd be curious if you know what this medal ribbon was. It's on my SS14 Mountain Jacket:

[​IMG]

20. jacksonn

Yes that's exactly it.