1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. jopson

jopson Member

I went to the shop and preview show today too. It's a really good collection. The Fred perry stuff was there and the cheaper defusion line was nice. I picked up an rrp price list and so I know the extreme Everest which is called the Antarctic Parka is £2500. It's wool lined so it will be even warmer and it's 9 inches longer. I think Nigel has realised that they have hit a ceiling in pricing. They have done another coastal commander. It's dark brown and not got a hood but has a high collar which is orange underneath. If anyone has any Q's I'll try and answer them from what I saw.

2. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

Yeah, I went in this afternoon as well and was really impressed by what I saw. Standout for me was the Farm Pant in an Indigo/Navy selvedge wool. Could complete a 3 piece with a notch vest and I think the jacket was the work jacket, can't quite remember but its the one with the selvedge line across the chest pocket. Kinda wish it didn't have that visible selvedge line. There was a nice take on the cameraman as well, can't remember the name but it had slightly different pockets and was a nice change. Normal Cameramen, Mallory and Business jackets were there as well in some really nice Fox Flannels.

Was really impressed by some of the made in China stuff. Normal fantastic Cabourn fabrics and construction looks top notch too. Made by the same factory that does Visvim apparently so hopefully no complaints about quality and from what I understand the workers, etc are treated fairly. There wasn't much of the collection made here but there was some really nice stuff, particularly the Army canvas chino pants and a brilliant pair of combat trousers. There was a few jackets in similar fabrics as well. I didn't check the price on this stuff but if understand correctly it will be a little cheaper than the the normal stuff but not loads cheaper.

The main shop had a few SS15 pieces too. Business suit in a nice indigo and a short Cold Weather Parka were really nice but the standout for me was a two tone denim shirt/overshirt from the mainline collection. If you've seen Instagram today you'll have seen Nigel wearing it, didn't pick it up but will grab it fairly soon, I reckon.

3. karimndm

karimndm Member

A quick question if ok...do any of you know whether Nigel Cabourn fakes exist on the market?

The reason I ask is that I recently purchased a Ventile Taped Aircraft Jacket and on closer inspection the tape on some seams inside the jacket appears to be a different colour to that on the outside.

Any knowledge appreciated!

4. jopson

jopson Member

If you live near London go into the shop. They are really really helpful and will tell you if you have a fake.... Other than the fake everests on eBay I've never come across any. Fakes would be obvious to spot because of the quality of the fabrics and the quality of the build. Fakers want to make easy money and sell stuff that is popular. Cabourn is a niche market so I doubt they would bother spending the time effort and money knocking it off. That's my opinion anyway.

5. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Looks like I've been scooped! Sadly I don't reside in London, but I made the Instagram rounds this morning and found the following:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of things:

-You can see Nigel wearing the shirt that @Jagger_On references. I suspected it was SS15. Great looking shirt. At first I thought it was a popover. Almost disappointed it's not.
    -You can see the new belt on the new Antarctic Parka on the white version that young lady is wearing. You can also see the wool lining on the orange version in the bottom picture. Not a fan of that belt (it's on my Cold Weather Parka) and prefer the ties.
    -You can see the backpack. I assume it's part of that collaboration with that mountaineering brand? Saw a picture of what looked to be a more technical looking piece as well. Did they have that collab there?
    -You can see another young lady wearing the Coastal Command in one of the shots on the street.

Questions for those who were in attendance:

-What's this new line? I assume it's labelled differently. What's it called? What are the pieces they had that comprise this collection? Price points? If there are the classics, IE Mallorys, what are the fabrications?
    -Looks like the Atkinson is back (and no surprise as I assume it's here to stay) in a lovely houndstooth. Any other variants?
    -Mallorys looked like a herringbone, yes? Looks like a donegal one as well?
    -What colors/styles of Cameramen did you see?
    -What sort of shirting did you see? In the video it looks like a denim/chambray shirt under a sweater.
    -Price point on the shirt Nigel is wearing? Price point on the other SS15 styles that were there?
    -Would you say that the AW15 collection is better than the AW14 collection? Why?

6. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

The eBay Everests are not really fakes are they? They don't use the Cabourn trademark. They are copies.

The new Everest sounds like it could be the one to start saving for!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

A few general questions:

1) I know I've asked this before, but DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ATKINSON FROM THIS SEASON??? I can't believe that one of you chaps don't have it.

2) Does anyone have the AW Canadian Jacket?

3) Anyone have the zip cardigan from AW? I'm seeing conflicting fit notes out there.

8. karimndm

karimndm Member

Thankyou v. much.

I am in London so easy for me to pop in and ask.

I also thought it would be the case that NC is too niche for attention but still remain a little puzzled. . .

9. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I would think it's a legitimate piece. Which version did you get specifically? Can you post a picture?

I did a quick check of one of my SS13 versions the inside taping is a different color. It matches that of the outer taping on the raglan sleeves, but the rest of the inside is all that color, a khaki/tan color.

10. karimndm

karimndm Member

11. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

I'll try and answer a few of your questions but unfortunately I wasn't really paying too much attention to names and didn't ask for prices. Questions for those who were in attendance: -What's this new line? I assume it's labelled differently. What's it called? What are the pieces they had that comprise this collection? Price points? If there are the classics, IE Mallorys, what are the fabrications? It does have a different label on the garment. From speaking to the guys its designed to offer the younger consumer an easier entry point to the brand but from what he said I don't think its a lot cheaper, maybe @jopson can shed some more light. -Looks like the Atkinson is back (and no surprise as I assume it's here to stay) in a lovely houndstooth. Any other variants? -Mallorys looked like a herringbone, yes? Looks like a donegal one as well? RAF blue, grey herringbone and new black (which looked brown). -What colors/styles of Cameramen did you see? Same as Mallory, I think. Grey Herringbone one looked nice. -What sort of shirting did you see? In the video it looks like a denim/chambray shirt under a sweater. Didn't pay too much attention to this, definitely some chambray and other cotton shirts. Think there was a large over shirt and another new style. Some of it was made in Portugal like some of the SS13 shirts. -Price point on the shirt Nigel is wearing? Price point on the other SS15 styles that were there? Not cheap, about £300. Might be worth trying to proxy from Japan although I doubt I could be bothered by the hassle. Didn't really look at the prices of anything else but I'd be surprised if it was much different to recent seasons.. -Would you say that the AW15 collection is better than the AW14 collection? Why? Too early to say for me. There's definitely a few new shapes and I think the fabrics may be nicer for AW15 but I really loved this season and could have bought loads but settled for the Farm Pants and the reversible duffle. I'll definitely pick up the AW15 Farm pants and maybe the whole suit as I really liked the wool. I was also really impressed with a couple of the made in China pieces. The duck canvas on the chinos was fantastic and the combats were a slightly different fabric. Neither looked particularly slim, if thats your thing.

12. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Well, I actually have two of that jacket in that exact color. [​IMG] I'm glad you brought this up to as both of mine are different with the color of the taping on the inside. I got one from a reputable online shop, I think Cabourn, and the other from eBay. I don't remember which I got from where. I'm pretty sure the one I got from eBay matches yours. Either way, I'm quite convinced both of mine are legit as is yours. The construction otherwise is identical on mine including the finer details like the pulls and the buttons. In fact if anything I would think that those are sorts of things someone would attempt to fake. Also, I've noticed some inconsistencies here and there. Nothing major, but this season's Canadian Jacket is one of them. The one I have doesn't match up to the photos on Cabourn's site as regards two details: the pull tab on the zipper (missing altogether on mine) and the metal clips at the end of the pulls (again, missing altogether on mine). I got mine from Flannels, so I'm convinced it's legit, but also seeing the one on the Bureau of Belfast's site and it's also missing those details. I'm considering contacting Cabourn over this but I'm curious if anyone has seen the Canadian Jacket in Cabourn's shop to see if it has those details. Anyway, as for you, if you're in London as they said I would just pop in and see what they say. Still I'd rest assured it's legit.

13. karimndm

karimndm Member

Thankyou!

Definitely good to hear.

Seeing as I have found another owner of the same jacket - I wonder - is the tape on the outside perfectly flush with the coat, or are there areas where it is not as stuck down?

I will of course report back once I have popped into the store. Depending on opening hours I may try tomorrow.

14. gus49

gus49 Well-Known Member

As I have small shoulders I went for a 46, its close fitting but hardly small snug around the chest but its supposed to be.... + it has already "given" with a few outings from the wardrobe. I haven’t tried a 48 but it would be too long in the arm and too baggy around shoulders probably. Just to confuse matters I took a 48 in the roll neck and that is close fitting..

15. jopson

jopson Member

The "diffusion" label I think is called Lybro by Nigel cabourn. I again think Lybro was a British workwear label that Nigel started his career at and then bought the company some years later. There were no Mallory's or anything from the authentic range. It's a line designed for the a younger audience. And apparently the shirts will be max £150 and jackets max £450. I liked it.

16. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

If you can, you should go tomorrow. Nigel will be there again and he'd be able to give you the best advice. Plus it's great chatting to him. He's a seriously top bloke.

17. jopson

jopson Member

The Atkinson comes in houndstooth of blue and RAF grey
    Mallorys in RAF blue and charcoal in harris tweed herringbone and in normal harris tweed army, RAF blue and new black.
    Cameramans in black navy/RAF blue and RAF grey/Charcoal
    Shirts were two types of basic shirt in oxford selvedge in grey,green and a greyish blue and then poplin selvedge in army and navy. one type of medical shirt in Japanese raw denim and the big over shirts in army and navy colourways.

There were a few new additions in styles of jackets: the Tenzing makes a comeback in selvedge wool in navy (really nice)
    Another jacket is called a motorbikeman which is a kind of an amalgamation of the bottom half of an aircraft jacket (think big pockets) and the top half of a cameraman except different clips.
    There was also a cool smock type ventile jacket

18. jopson

jopson Member

Oh and i think the rucksack is part of the karrimor collab.

19. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

At quick glance, yes it's flush. Only thing I've noticed, and I noticed this on one of my Cameramen, was the ventile taping over a loose thread when they did it. I just trimmed the end of the thread coming out of the taping. You can still see the outline of it under the taping, but nothing noticeable unless you were looking for it.

Just to confuse matters indeed. [​IMG] Well I've got one on the way so we'll see. If the pit to pit is indeed 22" on the 50, or just slightly less, I should be fine. Cheers for the reply.

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully the label will some of the voids that the Authentic line leaves for me when it comes to shirting and knits, more so the latter really. Just looking for more variety.

Oh no... Sounds like quite the collection and the pictures certainly didn't convey all of this. Wonder if they'll all make it into the final line.

I figured as much and that's what I was referencing about an outerwear piece I saw. Cheers for the reply.

20. Pureneat

Pureneat Member

Newbie here......

Some sites list Cabourn jackets as 48 being a medium and some 50 is medium, I normally take a 38r in tailoring, so should I go 48 or 50?

Can't get anywhere to,try them on.......