1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Well-Known Member

Waxed cotton isn't breathable either.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. seer

seer Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott Stevens [​IMG]

Waxed cotton isn't breathable either.

Yes, they are not meant to be breathable, they are meant to protect you from the elements. I have used Barbour and Filson for years and these are not jackets one buys for style. They are meant to be used in weather, and work quite well.

3. migsy999

migsy999 Senior member

I buy for style and the weather protection. That's the point isn't it?
    Otherwise I'd get my grandads Marks & Spencer duffle coat out.

Most of the Filson collab looks great. The Work Cape feels even better in person.

4. seer

seer Senior member

I guess we differ. I never thought of my Filson as stylish, though come to think of it, it is pretty cool looking.

5. migsy999

migsy999 Senior member

I guess where you live matters too.
    Workwear is big in the UK fashion market.
    Barbour and other heritage labels are booming right now.

6. Scott Stevens

Exactly. That's why I didn't get the relevance of the post. Virtually the same weight and neither are breathable.

7. robin

robin Senior member

There are some makers that produce breathable waxed clothing, even Barbour once had an entire line dedicated to it. Those long duster coats from Driza-Bone that Australian ranchers wear? Breathable. Likewise, my Surface jacket from a couple years back is quite breathable with layers under it. It depends on the qualities of the fabric, along with the type of wax used, and how it's applied.

Regardless, the point of the post was to warn about tin cloth - people complain in this thread about the macintosh cameraman jacket making them sweat more than it protects them from the elements. Well, tin cloth is about a hundred times worse.

8. seer

seer Senior member

Yes it is, but tin cloth is bomb proof! And takes forever to soften up!

9. seer

seer Senior member

So workwear is popular because you actually work in it or because people want others to think they actually are working?

10. migsy999

migsy999 Senior member

I give up.

It's functional, looks great and is made of nice fabrics.
    Fashion takes it's nods form all walks of life. Being in the Cabourn thread, it should be more obvious than most.
    Just because I wear some of his stuff, doesn't mean I want climb Everest or live in the trenches.

2 people like this.
  11. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

As I understand it, wax jackets allow some outward passage of air to avoid a large build up of condensation and air can get in as the wax doesn't fill every microscopic gap in the woven fabric
    It's no where near as 'breatheable' as Gortex or ventile so isn't described as such
    Where wax jackets really come into their own is on the hardiness of the fabric - great for outdoor activities where abrasion might be issue - walking through woods, brambles etc where a lighter fabric would just rip
    Plus wax jackets look great the more they are worn and last as long as you want in terms of patching, re waxing etc
    The lining of a wax jacket takes up a bit of the condensation if exerting physically so doesn't feel overly clammy - for some reason after a bit of airing they never smell sweaty unlike macintosh which needs a wipe down on the inside with a Luke warm damp cloth

1 person likes this.
  12. seer

seer Senior member

That's true, and these jackets and such last forever.

13. Scott Stevens

Waxed cotton generally doesn't breathe well. Both jackets are seriously heavy weight. I highly doubt they are breathable, but that's not what they are designed for.

I have a Freeman Sporting Club 8.5oz waxed cotton, wool lined parka which is very substantial - I personally wouldn't want heavier than that, even for deep winter.

16oz + 18oz wool must feel like body armour. Both versions will feel very heavy. stiff, and take a long time to break in properly.

14. gus49

gus49 Well-Known Member

In a mild Uk winter I am wondering whether its going to be overkill looking like I am about to shoot a bear in the Supermarket car park.

15. migsy999

migsy999 Senior member

They aren't that warm. Maybe cameraman warm. That's not exactly toasty.
    Will be perfect for a mild winter. If we get below freezing in the UK you'll need a Mallory under it or another jacket altogether.

16. Grove

Grove Senior member

If waxing for the first time I would suggest using Fjallraven Greenland wax. Really simple to apply, not messy and you can apply in layers if you want more/less coverage in particular areas. Also it has a lighter finish, doesn't have that residue you get with thornproof and can be washed out more easily if you're not happy with the result.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  17. PhilVo

PhilVo Senior member

Thanks a lot. Thinking of giving it a chance... but would hate ruining a Cabourn jacket, especially because it's beige... If I go for it, I will keep you posted with pics.

One more thing: The jacket is unlined, so wouldn't waxing it be uncomfortable to wear? I would consider getting a liner for it, e.g. a thin down jacket that can be sewn or buttoned into it.

18. Grove

Grove Senior member

With Greenland it will be fine unlined. Just feel a bit stiffer. If you are worried try it out on a cheap item with a similar cloth and if you decide to go ahead try it on a small section first. I have played about waxing loads of cotton and polycotton clothing using Thornproof, Greenland, Belstaff wax and also proofing with Grangers, Fabsil, Nikwax etc. To start with I tried it out on army surplus, outdoorsy stuff and older pieces that weren't getting much wear. Although different procucts give varying results nothing so far has been ruined.

19. irbe

irbe Senior member

I don't find cameraman warm. Decent shell.

20. London

London Senior member

Depends which one. I had the insulated one with Harris tweed that was warm.