1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

is it fair to say Nigel Cabourn invented or re-introduced this style of the split fabric jacket - the cameraman?

2. mcqueen

mcqueen Senior member

Marrkt was quite fast in their initial response, however, my last email has been ignored for several days. I have shipped the jacket back, unfortunately, at a cost of $60. I will get a refund, but I have not received an answer from them regarding the return shipping cost.

3. irbe

irbe Senior member

oh they say they will Co ed shipping?

4. mcqueen

mcqueen Senior member

No, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  5. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

Sorry for late post but I've just caught up with recent posts

This was called the 'pocket work jacket' from SS11. It's very roomy in fit and made in Linen denim
    I have it in a 46 with the matching Hospital Waistcoat/vest and is one of my favourite Summer Cabourn pieces
    I got mine from Selfridges in London when they did Cabourn for 2 seasons
    I washed it to shrink it a little which worked really well
    The same fabric was used on the deck jacket and a pair of matching trousers by ARN - Corniche still have a pair in 30. Although all the trousers were half an inch smaller in fit which didn't help

6. Eric Gill Sans

Entirely fair - check out previous posts on here for the history of the Cameraman and check our Nicks blog post regarding the origin of the Cameraman

7. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Sorry, where is this blog? Sounds interesting.

9. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

Um, like look one post up from yours? ;-)

10. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

:facepalm: :embar:

11. Grove

Grove Senior member

Picked up a couple of pairs of Cons x NC plimsoles from Footpatrol sale. £25 each. Touch.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Only 10.5 left, a size too small :(

13. volatile

volatile Senior member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  14. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Trunk with new drops on Cabourn. Nothing for me, but a few sizes left in the mountain parka. Highly recommend that jacket.

15. desolate

desolate Active Member

I picked up a pair - UK size 10.5 and with the supplied inner sole they are at least a size smaller than marked.

Took the inner sole out and they fit fine. Not bad for £25

(First post - Cabourn addict)

16. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Thought I'd provide some reviews in the coming days of some things I've had the opportunity to try and/or buy recently.

First piece I'll go over is the Scottish Jacket. Not sure why it's called the Scottish Jacket and would love to hear if anyone knows. I remember seeing the piece last SS, but I can't remember if I liked it or not. I honestly think I waffled over it going back and forth, but with limited stockists picking it up I never grabbed it. I think my thought process was that it was just another " green military jacket" which I've seen and even owned from lesser brands for years now. So I was never too keen on grabbing one as I felt it was like something else I already had but didn't wear anymore. Since it popped on Yoox I've been watching it a while and even ordered it a month or two back. I sent it back as I wasn't sure about it. Well after a nice drop or two in price along with a code, I decided to grab it again and give it another shot. I'm very glad I did. While it is just another "green military jacket", it's different. I've always loved the four contrasting pockets on the front of the jacket. The fabric of the jacket is a bit softer, slightly lighter and less stiff than the fabric of the pockets, which is more stiff and feels very heavy duty. The jacket itself is half jacket and half shirt jacket if you ask me, so not too heavy much less heavy at all, but still substantial in it's construction. It really feels like a great piece. As a point of comparison I actually took delivery today of a SS14 Engineered Garments jacket that is very similar. While the Engineered Garments jacket was cheaper initially, it ended up costing more than the Scottish Jacket. Point is there is no comparison in my opinion. While the Engineered Garments piece is nice enough, the fit is poor and it doesn't look or feel nearly as nice. Anyway, the Scottish Jacket has butcher buttons, which I love even if I never take advantage of them, and they look and feel great. The collar, which has a two-clasp closure, sort of spreads out and doesn't really stand up. I remember not liking that the first time I tried it on. I doesn't bother me so much now and the collar sort of stands up on in the back it's own at times when I throw it on. There's a vent hole under each arm, but not at the pit as you'd expect as it's a bit lower. Oddly enough the contrasting fabric used on the pocket is the sewn panel where the vent is, just inside the jacket and not outside! Sort of odd, but feels like great construction. Oh, and there's a small pocket on the inside right (if you're wearing it) at the bottom (where you'd button the last button). Odd size too, but it fits and iPhone 5 with a slim case perfectly, both in height and width. Fit was another concern initially. It has high armholes which I'm never a fan of, but they aren't too bad here. It's a bit fitted in the shoulders, but not bad. Enough room in the body and not very long. In fact it seems like it's missing a bottom button, but it's clearly intentional and should be the case considering the fit. Overall there isn't much I would change about the jacket. I wouldn't mind a slide pocket into or behind the lower front pockets, but being somewhat a shirt jacket I guess that's why they're missing. Only other thing I'd like to have seen was another color, maybe navy, stone or British khaki? My final verdict is that it's definitely a winner. For a jacket that really flew under the radar and which did not have many stockists, I'd say it's an overlooked piece.

If anyone is interested, Yoox has 48 or a 46, can't remember which, at a really great price right now. There's a code and you can use eBates as well.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  17. Eric Gill Sans

Thanks for the review
    I felt the same about the 'Scottish Jacket' so never invested although when I met the Cabourn team for the first time, James was wearing his and it looked great
    A bit of spray starch on the collar area might help - spray from the underside a little at a time with a warm iron - I've done this a lot on raincoat collars to make them stand up proud of the nape

18. gululv

gululv Senior member

How do you guys where the reversible shirt, with a t-shirt unerneath? It seems like most people do so. I got one of the shirts, but it's too small to wear with a t-shirt and maybe even too small without one too. Love the shirt, but the fit is very important. The reverse side seems to fit much better for some reason.

19. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Anyone pick anything up at the latest Markkt dops? I was tempted by the short peak label jackets, but they seemed to be crying out for either matching pants or vest.

20. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

Hi - anyone here know where I can still get a pair of the Cabourn denim work jeans (indigo)? They bear a similarity to the Rising Sun "Blacksmith" jean - anyone know if this was an inspiration for the Cabourn item? I notice Nigel himself is often pictured wearing the work jean - check out the instagram of him at Wimbledon. Last question: do any insider-knowledge people know if the workwear jean is going to feature in AW14?

I've got to say, the style in which NC wears his own stuff is excellent. I saw him in Newcastle last year kitted out in the massive duffle - looked ace. He seems to favour the larger fit for any particular item.