1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

^ Nice piece.

2. Morph

Morph Well-Known Member

I did not discover cabourn till ss10 as well but bought this off ebay the summer of that year. Seller made the mistake of selling a winter coat in the middle of the summer. He was asking 500 but got no takers and took 400 for it in the end. He was a nice guy and was selling a lot cabourn at the time. not sure but I think he had direct access to cabourn stock.

3. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior Member

Crikey - quite a find and for £400!!!

4. xiaogwuay

xiaogwuay Senior Member

5. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior Member

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Guys, is it at all possible to tailor (take in the sides and maybe chest) of a Cameraman? Perhaps instead of selling mine, I can get it tailored a bit?

7. colabear

colabear Distinguished Member

why would you want to that? It is an outerwear meant to be worn as outer layer for wearing outdoors. If you try to tailor it as you described, all you can wear underneath is a tank top

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I have plenty of room to layer. I'd like to take about 2" off the coat - would still leave plenty of room for layering.

9. colabear

colabear Distinguished Member

Is it 2" on each side or 2" total? If it is 2" total, just keep it the way it is. It will save you $ and the chance of ruining the fabric when opening up the seams

10. bensolujofin

bensolujofin Well-Known Member

Does anybody else find this quite troubling? On lots of websites they give the impression that these shirts are made in England. It kind of flies in the face of the 'real, authentic products' claim if it turns out that it's misleading..

Those plain cricket jackets selling for 250 quid also have a slightly unclear provenance (fabric made in Portugal, etc..) I hope they're not a similar let-down.

I've got nothing against Portugal obviously, but it's the principle right?

11. bensolujofin

Yeah Bellerose is a chain over here. Bizarrely, in most towns they just sell stuff like Docker's and Lee, but in their Brussels stores they (used to) sell Cabourn and other high end things. They haven't had any Cabourn stuff for about 2 years now... :-(

12. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior Member

They had a few Cabourn pieces when I went there a couple of weeks ago

13. bensolujofin

Really? In which store? (they've got several in Brussels right?)

Anything interesting?

14. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior Member

Rue des Chartreux. Popped there just now on my lunch break and no more Cabourn sadly.

Think they had an orange everest jacket before, and something in tweed that I forget.

15. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior Member

Well this confirms it then - they are made in Portugal

Nothing against Portugal but one of the reasons I have invested ( I have no pretentions of getting any money back, I use the word invested because of the considerable cost ) in Nigel Cabourn is because of the British manufacture and mainly British heritage fabrics.

I still like the design and it won't put me off buying these shirts because as a brand it still supports Brirish and small scale manufacturing with other garments but my main fear is that this could be the start of a trend where NC starts manufacturing some of the high end pieces outside of the UK to reduce the cost, sell more at better margins.
    If this happens I will become vehemently opposed and will cease being a loyal customer

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013