• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

taiAtari

Reaction score
All this Cabourn talk made me buy that dark navy cold weather parka in 52 that lingered on Superdenim. A relative bargain, but still quite an outlay. It fits somewhat smaller than I expected when considering the measurements on Superdenim, with a high armhole and narrow cuffs when buttoned. I can still wear a SNS Herning Stark underneath, but it's more of a fashion fit on me.

Still, that's not that bad since I also own an original Extreme Cold Weather RAF parka, which is similar to the Cabourn piece if it went to the SAS instead of the boyscouts. So they compelement each other nicely, and I can use the belt that's missing from the RAF parka. If get the time I'll do some comparison picks. It's not the parka in the vintage showroom book by the way, that one seems almost identical to the Cabourn one.

Cabourn sizes really are all over the shop. I've got several well fitting items ranging from 50 to 56...

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score
Cultizm have just added a few new SS13 pieces including what looks like an exclusive 'Classic Aircraft Jacket' in a blue/grey polycotton.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about sizes, if I`m a 52 shirt, will a 52 jacket be my size? Or do some run small?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Talking about sizes, if I`m a 52 shirt, will a 52 jacket be my size? Or do some run small?

I've not tried the shirts, but I wouldn't describe Nigel Cabourn sizing as consistent - some jackets are certainly slimmer than others.

nixda

Reaction score

I'm a 48 in all his shirts and have the oxford, linen zip, heavy reversible, reversible, and edgar shirts (all japanese). I'm a 50 in the Mallory and a 50 in the cape cameraman. I have a 50 in the regular cameraman and a 50 in the short puffa, but could probably go 48 for a slim fit in both (not sure about sleeves though).

hope that helps.

Frigiliana

Reaction score

Great photos and post - I think you are right and your wager is safe. I think youve proven beyond doubt that this is indeed the source garment

The reference to it being 'British' may be an interview innaccuracy or it may have been issued to British forces.

I am assuming Nigel knew the origin was the US as he has done a garment called 'US navy clip jacket' which is a jersey hooded top with these fastenings.

Interestingly I've just looked in Nigel's 'Ascent of Cabourn' book from the 2003 collection and the clips used on the first photo of the Cameraman are exactly as the US smock and there is a page featuring this clip describing as a 'naval clip with rivets'

The garments photo'd in the book were samples which were made to look worn and I do know there were modifications made on some garments when they were first released so was there a Cameraman first released which had the same clips or was the 'ladder' type adjuster specially designed for this jacket from its first release?

I now think that the ladder type adjuster is a NC design but can't be sure - need more research

Does anybody know if you can buy these U.S Navy style clasp & eyes ? i would love to change my existing snaps for these .

Jagger_On

Reaction score
I thought that I'd narrowed down what I'm after from Cabourn this season but Eric's pictures and the ones on Cultizm have got me seriously considering buying some camo. Love the way it looks with the sun shining on it in the Cultizm pics. Waistcoat looks really short though, can anyone comment or is that just down to the low rise of the jeans the Cultizm model is wearing?

Also, does anyone know if there is a Crazy Compton jacket to go with the the Crazy vest or does it just come in the two main colourways?

mpw

Reaction score
The new Nigel Cabourn site will be online soon...

So it says at cabourn.com

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score
Does anybody know if you can buy these U.S Navy style clasp & eyes ? i would love to change my existing snaps for these .
Good question and I haven't a clue

Someone somewhere makes them and supplies them into the garment manufacturers unless they are made exclusively for NC but I have had a Google search of online haberdasheries using all sorts of search names and criteria and I cant find anything.

lots of different bra clips, belt clips, fasteners etc but nothing that looks like the naval clip !!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads