1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ferry

ferry Well-Known Member

It suits you well. my yellow aircraft has really given me a lot of nice compliments from both gender. But I'm not quite sure if if think you should size up one. But overall it's a fantastic jacket. Mine is unwaxed though so it's quite unwearable when it's raining. But I guess yours is. I don't think you will regret it if you keep it.

2. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

For what it is worth, I agree on the sizing of the jacket.......

3. Phil McCrackin

Phil McCrackin Senior member

really like the yellow Aircraft , struggling to find 54 in sales , but also not sure if yellow is for a 42 year old - thinking it's a young mans colour ? [​IMG]

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Absolutely not. It can be but I only say that because I think it's wearable regardless of age. Were I 42 (and I'm not far off) I'd wear it in a heartbeat. In fact I have it and I'm constantly thinking "is this something I would wear in ten years or more". The only things I generally have to question are the camo items I have. The styling and details of the coat make it wearable regardless of age and the color is great. It's not overly bright at all. In fact I wouldn't even say it's bright. It's a rich color though and with the neutral cords and nice brown buttons it all comes together very nicely. The antarctic orange is a bit brighter, but even that color is wearable regardless of your age if you ask me.

Coggles has a 54, but it's not on sale.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  5. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

So Cabourn has already shown the SS14 Collection in Paris and last week Berlin with Bread and Butter. Anyone found any pictures as of yet? I'm not finding anything online. I'm very interested to see it. It's a collection based on military deadstock and British fighters who participated in the Spanish Civil War against the fascists (IE Madidistas not apply). I've only seen the little sketch, but who knows how representative that will be. There will apparently be another Converse collaboration as well.

6. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

Sounds really interesting, would love to see it

7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

So in addition this quote of myself here I posted about something interesting that day about two weeks ago. Long story short the Cabourn shop wasn't allowing you to put items in your cart with the exception of one item. Well that one item was the sole remaining site exclusive ventile Aircraft Jacket in Camo in my size, a 50. So I quickly added that to my cart and grabbed it. The checkout process worked this time as well and the transaction seemed to go through. I had an email confirmation from Sagepay (and I think Cabourn), but I never got word that it had shipped.

Well the jacket arrived on Saturday. If you've not tried the ventile Aircraft Jacket yet, it's a nice jacket. In fact I like the Aircraft Jacket generally as I'm a 50 no questions asked (I'm a 50 generally in Cabourn, but sometimes a 52). It is a bit of a boxier jacket, but that's the intended look and it works fine with my broader shoulders and chest. What it does do nicely is it tapers down to your waste. In fact some might find it hard to size down if that's the case. For me it's great though because I taper myself. The Camo print itself is different. The pattern is similar to other Cabourn patterns I've seen, but the coloring is different giving it an entirely different appearance. If you're expecting the same coloring and look of the Notch Work Jacket you'll be disappointed. It has the nice big brown Corozo buttons that the other ventile Aircraft Jackets have, and they're reinforced at the storm flap. The zipper is the riri zip with the Barbouresque pull tab. It's a double zipper as well which is a feature I always love. The leather cords are a darker army green with standard cognac colored leather hold piece. The ventile taping of the outer seams, which stands out on the standard Ventile Aircrafts, isn't noticeable right away on this verion unles you're looking for them. This along with the obvious fact that the jacket is Camo definitely makes it less sporty than the standard Ventile Aircrafts from this collection. The ventile taping is more prevelant on the inside of the jacket. There is a lot of ventile taping on the pockets alone and whether the taping is on the inside of the jacket or the outside, not a single seam goes untaped. Obviously this version of the Aircraft Jacket is more expensive than other versions we've seen in the past or even this season. I think that must be down to the use of ventile (and I'm not sure how expensive ventile is) and the construction of the coat with all the ventile taping. Personally I'm not inclined to get it at full price, but I'm happy with getting it on sale and foresee a lot of wear in the future. I've seen the "it's a windbreaker" comments, and it indeed looks like a windbreaker, but I've never seen a windbreaker look this good and I really like how the colors, the taping, the cords and the buttons all come together. The only two things I'd have liked to have seen done differently are the buttons reinforced at both the cuff and pockets as well (at minimum at the pocket) and the pull tab on the zipper to be a more... substantial for lack of a better term. Overall I like the Camo jacket, but I actually prefer the navy (standard navy, not the Present exclusive), survival yellow (my favorite) and antarctic orange colors. Apart from the colors, they're all identical to what I've posted above.

Just today the Cabourn online shop has either updated their inventory with returns or simply updated their inventory (I assume the former) because they now have a few camo Aircraft Jackets in stock again.

8. Phil McCrackin

online see it's discounted already , is there another code to add to get more off ?

9. robin

robin Senior member

Some pictures here: http://redwing1905.blogspot.com/2013/06/tranoi-paris.html

And some instagram shots here: http://statigr.am/benjaminleephillips

Bread and Butter usually gets better press coverage than Tranoi so I'd expect some more pictures to show up online over the next week.

10. Phil McCrackin

still camo , maybe Cameraman in camo ? [​IMG]
    I have this years Ventile Cameraman , love it ..
    much more wearable than Mackintosh versions ..

11. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll keep it, I really like its design and functionality. Also agree that workwear (and hikerdelia, great term!) are still very much a niche men's fashion, hopefully we gain a bit more acceptance down the road from our other halves ;).

Blaugrana - can we get fit pics of the camo jacket? Sounds great. Also fit pics of the yellow jacket? That's my favourite but *damn* is it expensive compared to the untaped aircraft jacket!

edit 2: Ok I bought the yellow taped jacket. If anyone wants the red for a ridiculously low price, PM me.

edit 3: Received the proper size in Cabourn x Converse today. Not usually a fan of Converse at all, but these are great.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  12. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

^ FWIW I also think the fit is fine on you if it's a close fit you're after. I hardly ever wear red but I don't mind it in a piece of outerwear like a windbreaker.

I agree with Blaugrana, it's a great colour for anyone, certainly in that piece. I have the navy but would love to find either the yellow or orange as well.

I think I'm seeing a light blue ventile aircraft jacket in robin's Tranoi link. That looks promising to me!

Presumably a few of the big names among the anti-fascists will be mentioned in the collection .. I'm thinking Orwell and Hemingway as a start. Of course there were many ordinary British and Americans who fought as well.

[​IMG]

13. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Maybe. I think it's a great choice for a period to base a SS line on.

Didn't even notice that Aircraft Jacket.

Here are a few more. Not very telling with some:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots better than others. Not sure about the camo pattern on the chest pocket work jacket. At least it's different. We'll have to see. Definitely not a fan of the Converse, but is that a Cabourn bag next to them? That looks nice. The girl is wearing Cabourn and I like that camo pattern.

14. Phil McCrackin

I like her ! [​IMG]

3rd from left top pick looks nice - what I can see of it ..

15. ferry

ferry Well-Known Member

Have a pair of the oxford shorts if anyone is interested. Guess not. Way to small for being a 32" sizing up is really recommended. Worn once selling them for 30 quid. PM
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

I've got the strangest problem with my Bosey boots after wearing them for a day.

I noticed that the left heel was rubbing.

The problem is a load of surplus fabric for some reason stitched to the inside left heel.

Removing the foam sole, the problem is clearly illustrated:

Right boot (normal):
    [​IMG]

Left boot (odd):
    [​IMG]

Anyone have a similar issue or bit of fabric? What's going on?

17. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

Received the taped aircraft jacket today, great construction quality, colour will take a bit of getting used to in terms of what it goes with.

[​IMG]

18. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

Colour looks great, nice one

19. Phil McCrackin

certainly is a very nice coat ..