1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

So far, nothing at all is catching my interest... Oh, apart from the two-tone cricket vest, as previously discussed. That is quirky cool and something I'd like to pick up once prices drop. I've already got 3 Mallorys, so I think I'm ok for that style, although I might like a Tenzing for summer use.

I'm flying to London tomorrow though and will drop by Trunk, and maybe Present, on Friday for a look and feel. I've got a pair of Harris Tweed Bombay pants, an Ink Vest and a (possibly too small) green Fairisle waiting for me to pick up, so there will be some NC haul. Very unlikely I'll buy anything new. I'm visiting SEH Kelly on Saturday, which is a more likely place to spend money at this point.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

Happy landings - I've been to Trunk, great little shop in a really interesting area above Oxford St.

Haven't been to Present yet as up until now they havent had anything in my size but must make a trip

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Tons of Cabourn on eBay at the moment. Best representation I've ever seen.

4. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

Present is a great wee shop. It's worth going up just to see the Thomas Crean Sleeping Bag jacket in the flesh if you haven't seen it. I've not been to SEH Kelly yet but I think it's very close to Present (less than 5 minutes walk if google maps is correct) so you'd be best combining that trip. You'll have to let us know how your visit to SEH goes. There's a load of great shops up in that area too that are worth exploring.

Trunk's an interesting shop and I always forget to go in. Looking at their website it looks like they are planning on stocking a lot more brands. I wonder if they are planning on moving to a bigger shop sometime soon or just expanding their web presence?

Thanks for sharing pics Eric, you've got a fantastic collection. I've never been interested in Camo before but you've seriously got me considering buying some this year. Do you have any other outerwear or is it just the lighter spring/summer stuff you prefer?

5. Eric Gill Sans

Crikey you're right - green Scott jacket, blue camo navy parka - have you seen the original 1960's Cold weather parka? - struggle to get £175 but interesting to see a few details identical to NC's recreation.

6. Eric Gill Sans

Yes I would like to see the Thomas Crean coat - don't have the confidence to wear it 'up north' and l would have to artificially age it to look lived in like the photo in the Scott's collection book.

There are some my size in Japan and a 48 at Ushowu and I have given it a cursory thought of 'what if' but it's getting to the point where I'm not giving all my Cabourn pieces enough wear to get that lived- in look.

Too many jackets and coats even though I wear his waistcoats and jackets everyday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

Cheers. That's one awesome collection, very jealous. I know what you mean about the sleeping bag jacket. I love it but I just can't justify it as I'd hardly wear it if I bought it. It would only get worn about 5 times a year, especially living down in London just now where I don't find it that cold down here compared to back home. Having the confidence to wear it is another thing too.

Nick, if you get the chance when you're in London you should go to the Vintage Showroom. I got the book for my birthday and it's awesome. Lots of great pieces where you can see where people like Cabourn got there inspiration from. http://www.thevintageshowroom.com/blog/?page_id=5457

8. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Agreed Nick. The Vintage Showroom looks really cool.

9. NickJohannessen

Cool idea, thanks! I got myself the book for Xmas, though haven't really looked too much at it. Looks like they have a shop in Covent Garden, that should be fun.

10. Eric Gill Sans

Great idea - thanks for posting. Definitely will visit when next in london

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Nice collection Eric.

12. Kuznetsov

Kuznetsov Well-Known Member

If you are going to SEH kelly then present is indeed a 2 minute walk from them. Be aware that SEH kelly isn' a storfront but you arrive at a gate and need to buzz to be let in, if memory serves me correctly it is buzzer 1. This had me confused for a good five minutes before I figured it out. From the bottom of the road SEH Kelly is on take a left and then a left again and present is pretty much on the other side of the road. If you ahve time it is worth checking out a few other shops in the area like DS Dundee and Albam, although I have been dissapointed in Abam lately. These can be easily found by just following the road Present is on.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. NickJohannessen

Good info! Many thanks.

14. Eric Gill Sans

Thanks but I've just realised I've photo'd them hanging on plastic yellow dry cleaning hangers - how embarrassing !

Not very NC

I hasten to add that not one of my Nigel Cabourn pieces has ever been near or would ever go near a dry cleaners.

15. Eric Gill Sans

Another one of these has come up for sale in a size 46 at Endclothing in their AW12 sale for any similarly slim framed chaps.

The Navy Cape Cameraman - its little different from the classic Cameraman and this is definitely the way to wear it.

[​IMG]

16. Eric Gill Sans

Just had the call from the fine and beautiful people at End Clothing.

SS13 going on the computer now and will be live and on line sometime tomorrow (Friday)

17. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Regarding the Sleeping Bag Coat:

I tried this on at Present (it is described on the site as One Size). I think everyone who goes in the shop tries it on!

I am a Large and I struggled to get into it - it comes up small, especially over the arms.

Reminds me of Captain Caveman.

18. bensolujofin

bensolujofin Well-Known Member

Lol.. To be honest with the Scott Collection I wondered whether anyone would actually wear some of the stuff.. Surely anyone wearing the Naval Jacket looks like Captain Stubing?

19. Eric Gill Sans

Thomas Crean Sleeping Bag Jacket

How would you get it to go from this ..............

[​IMG]

to this.........? (without walking to the antarctic)

[​IMG]
    Proof that it's a babe magnet !

[​IMG]

20. Eric Gill Sans

Even Mcgoohan looks cool ....... sorry warm and cosy!

[​IMG]