1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I think that if you allow a sweater layer, you should be OK.

2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Regardless of how functional they are, IMHO linen in the Fall/Winter months doesn't look right. Still, all three of the Cameramen Yoox have right now are great. I thought the SS12 collection was very good and those three Cameramen are a big reason why. I have them all and definitely recommend each colorway, especially the raw yellow.

3. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

4. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

Came across this interesting snippet while noodling on the interwebz:

"He confides, ‘For my next project, I’m thinking of designing a collection around Michael Hawthorn, the first British Formula One Champion. He won it in 1958 and then died the following year. And above all, he was a fantastically stylish guy.’"

(From http://www.sabotagetimes.com/fashion-style/nigel-cabourn-clothes-for-outdoor-heroes/ )

This might be pretty cool stuff. A friend of mine wrote a superb bio om Mike Hawthorn, should be some photos on the site here:

http://www.mike-hawthorn.org.uk/1956.php

Nick

(Extra cool for me, as my primary passion is vintage Jaguars...)

5. TSURI

TSURI Well-Known Member

I had the raw / yellow - actually I did not like it at all. Not sure why I bought it in the first place since I am not
    a big linen fan when it comes to jackets. For a summer jacket the cameraman is too long - in the winter
    it will not protect you against anything. Finally, raw and yellow do not go together that well.

That's my personal opinion and might not go that well with the rest of you ;-)

6. gululv

gululv Senior member

Holy shit, 650? I wish I didn't know I didn't know about that. That jacket is my dream winter coat. Warm enough for Nordic winters, looks great, but so expensive.

7. kojiro

kojiro Well-Known Member

650 GBP was a one time thing, they had 2 or 3 of Coastal Command jackets and it was really weird...of course they were sold out in a heartbeat :) I wonder what made them go that low with the price.It was like 30% of the retail... crazy.
    I will be receiving my second coastal today or tomorrow, can't wait! I'll also drop a few photos comparing two jackets- apparently, the black Coastal has a bit different shade of shearling.

8. indigoeagle

indigoeagle Senior member

Interesting. Thanks
    I think the price of the Everest parka has risen quite a bit in the meantime (article is from 2010) ;-)

The jacket Nigel is wearing looks a bit like Mister Freedom's Deck Jacket (Foul Weather jacket).

[​IMG]

9. NickJohannessen

Very strange. It says at the top of the article that it was published the 15th of December 2012, but the earliest comment is from August 2010.

Curious!

Nick

10. TSURI

TSURI Well-Known Member

11. shanks59

shanks59 Senior member

I have a size 48 navy Mallory, bought from Oi Polloi inUK. Been taken in a bit at the chest. Measurements available. Worn once out of doors. Doesn't work for me. Anyone interested? $600

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  12. gululv

gululv Senior member

I wonder if the coastal command will be sold for an ok price on ebay or elsewhere later. There's one on ebay now, highest bid, hard to say how much it will be. For those of you who own it, what do you think about it?

13. kojiro

kojiro Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on it. There were 86 of these jackets made worldwide. Most people payed retail for it or a 'sale' price around 1500 GBP / at best 1200 GBP. I don't think you'll see it any cheaper. If you REALLY want it, I'd negotiate with Ben (The guy who is selling the one & only Coastal at ebay at the moment). It's possible that you won't see this jacket at ebay in your (I assume 50?) size at all despite this listing.

14. KasperSN

KasperSN Active Member

I didn't had the money at the time, but I remember that LN-CC last year was selling the coastal command jacket for 630 GBP

15. gululv

gululv Senior member

Oh, I had no idea they made so few. It's normally out of my price league, but I would go pretty far to get it! 50 is probably my size.

16. kojiro

kojiro Well-Known Member

I received the black coastal today, don't have time to take photos- it's X-mas frenzy and all..
    From what I can tell- the leather used in black version is softer, the shearling is a bit darker (it has a more brownish/gray look) and the yellow paint at the hood is a thinner layer of acrylic paint than in the orange one (meaning more cracks, doh..). I think I'll buy the same paint NC used and I'll paint another layer of on top of it.
    Oh and yes, I need to taylor both brown and black one, the fit is just wrong (unless you are one chubby fella). But god how wonderful these jackets are.. if they were just a bit shorter and a bit more snug at bottom, they would be pretty much perfect.

17. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

i must say, the first time i saw one in person at the barneys warehouse sale, my jaw dropped. a stupendous piece of work.

overall, i didn't mind the fit, but the thing that drove me CRAZY was the cut of the sleeves. The upper arm section was so huge and unwieldy.

It is pretty super though notwithstanding. I honestly can't imagine how cold it would have to be to actually wear it haha

18. kojiro

kojiro Well-Known Member

I live in Warsaw and it was -15 C yesterday - I wouldn't dare to wear a Coastal in such cold weather :)

19. gululv

gululv Senior member

So it's not warm enough for -15? Hmm..I'm looking for something that can be used in cold weather. I have an old shearling coat I use for really cold days, it works, but it's ugly.

20. NickJohannessen

Once it gets really cold you need a really proper jacket... I've worn my Mallory tweed jacket down to around -15, with a thin sweater underneath, but colder than that I use the classic Fjällraven Expedition:

http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-equipment/jackets/expedition-down-jacket

I've used this at -25C whilst cycling 3 miles to the train station, including going down a long, steep hill where the cold air makes my tears freeze into ice so solid I can't blink :)

Nick