1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. KasperSN

KasperSN Active Member

Yeah, It's also the reason why I have not bought it yet. Endclothing have 20% off (72 hours code).

But I dont know if the smallest size/48 would be a little too big for me. I'm already got some Nigel Jackets in size 48, but I heard the Scott’s expedition are big in sizes (more than the normally NC)?

Im approx. 172 cm and 77 kg. and I also going to loose som weight at the moment ,so it may not be too big/loose from the start.

2. TSURI

TSURI Well-Known Member

Enter the code ‘
    CHAMPAGNE
    ’ at the checkout for 20% off your order at End Clothing - offer ends at midnight (GMT)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. kojiro

kojiro Well-Known Member

Not that anyone cares, but limited edition, military green version of Geddes is the Moss green version that was available at Marrkt. Just got that confirmed.

4. TSURI

TSURI Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

6. nixda

nixda Senior member

7. bensolujofin

bensolujofin Well-Known Member

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

The NC Utility Everest parkas pop up on Ebay fairly often. Not sure how it's misleading if he says "Please don't confuse this Parker with the Nigel Cabourn Orange Parker costing around £2,000."

It's just not sitting in the end of the buttonhole. A little tug, and it will line up with the others.

9. indigoeagle

indigoeagle Senior member

But you're right. There are three colours. Besides the navy and the beige there's also olive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And there seems to be a purple, too.

[​IMG]

10. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

I don't think I agree with you here. I think it's pretty dodgy to be using pictures of a completely different product to what you are selling. From what I remember he doesn't even mention that the first few pictures are a different product only that they are taken from the internet. I agree that he's trying to cover his back with the above statement but it's not the whole truth about what he's presenting (i.e. pictures from a different product). We all know that most people are idiots and will only look at the first few pictures and skim the text when looking at things on the internet (which of course is their problem).

11. zissou

zissou Senior member

Yes, he didn't need to include the first three photos, but there are about five other photos, plus the description, that indicate that it is Nigel Cabourn Utility, the cheap line made for Debenhams. One would have to be a complete moron to get confused.

12. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

its debatable either way.

13. kojiro

kojiro Well-Known Member

indigoeagle- Well, actually I thought that there wer four Geddes jackets- olive/mustard, moss green, navy and military green. The reason for the confusion is that moss green Geddes looks totally different each time it's photograpphed :)

14. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

Marrkt have dropped their prices. £400 for tan Gaddes in 50 or 52 and shirts and trousers in odd sizes down to about 20% of retail.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

16. benecios

benecios Senior member

In case anyone is interested i've just listed my Skyliner from Marrkt in the B&S forum.

17. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

Just thought I'd post a more historical/sartorial topic while the thread is quiet...

As a huge fan of Cabourns Mallory jackets, and the aura surrounding them, I'm watching "The Wildest Dream", the film about George Mallorys 1924 ascent of Everest with great interest, :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509276/

Very nicely made in 2010, with lots of historical images and film clips. In one of these clips, filmed at what I take to be a base camp on the way up Everest, we get a pretty good look at Mallorys jacket, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have the very characteristic pockets that Cabourns recreation has.

Am I right in feeling a little disheartened, or should I just be happy Cabourn did make the pockets different, and hence made the jacket different to 99% of other tweed jackets around? :)

Nick

18. Tadite

Tadite Well-Known Member

I don't think the Mallory or the Tenzing is a recreation jacket. They're both 'inspired by." I think the overall design is close as is the pockets. The biggest difference is the addition of the ventile. I think Mallory was dead before it was invented.

[​IMG]

19. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

Valid points, and your photo does show that Mallorys jacket clearly has pockets on the outside, which wasn't easy to see on the films. Good find!

Another fascinating fact to be gleaned from the photo: Whilst in general it appears to be considered sartoritally sound for gentlemen to wear the bottom button undone on their jackets, Mallory actually had all his buttons done. Anyone using their Mallory jacket in the cold will welcome this information and no longer feel compelled to walk around with a cold tummy tums as half the jacket is allowed to flap around. Doing up all the buttons has a significant effect on how warm the jacket is.

Ventile was developed during WW2, so a significant number of years after Mallory died in 1924, yes.

Nick

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  20. Tadite

Tadite Well-Known Member

I think Mallory is wearing a jacket that looks closer to a NC Tenzing then a NC Mallory. That looks more like a full four button jacket and hence works better when it's all buttoned up. I'm a fan of the Tenzing (which is why I own one) and either way I think it's a good addition to have the ventile. If it had existed back in the 20's I'm sure they would have been running around with it instead of the gabardine.

The following is a NC X Rugged Museum version.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012