• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicolosi odd jacket found in thrift store!!

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Yipeee-I'm on cloud 9. After a couple of months of "thrift store drought",I happened upon a fantastic Vincent Nicolosi bespoke sport jacket in the local Goodwill.Mint condition, 2 button ventless model with besom pockets,high notched lapels,in a bold stripe 10oz.Holland&Sherry cloth.Great with a black shirt and jeans,etc.There was no tag on it,so the clerk ran it by the supervisor,who priced it at $6.99.The best part? It fits me to perfection-right down to the surgeon's cuffs.
tounge.gif

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I think we need to beat up fashionslave....
tounge.gif
Nice pickup.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Well,supposedly Spring cleaning is in "full swing",so anybody else out there find any thrift store gems?

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but if there were no tags to identify it as a Nicolosi, how did you know it really was a Nicolosi?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but if there were no tags to identify it as a Nicolosi, how did you know it really was a Nicolosi?
I think he meant it had no price tag. I bet the customer that left it there was pissed when he went back for it.
tounge.gif

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I don't think I could have identified it as a Nicolosi,except it has the large cloth tag which is right at the collar,(easily visible).The second tag, with the order number,customer name,etc., is actually in the inner breast pocket.Come to think of it,most of the "heavy hitter" Savile Row tailoring firms do not have glitzy name/logo tags,merely the customer cloth tag on the inner breast pocket.Now,I have come to recognize the "signature" sleeve linings for most of these firms,so I can recognize them when I pull open the jacket.I have found many Savile Row suits stripped of tags due to the owner not wanting his name on the garment especially if he was donating it.There is one especially fine tailor,whom I've never found a tag on the inner pocket or anywhere,for that matter.The lining is a distinctive white and blue awning stripe on the waistband of the trousers as well as the sleeves.The pant pockets usually have the "Made in Huddersfield,England" fabric demarcation.The suits are especially finely tailored,and with all the Savile Row hallmarks.If anybody knows what firm this is,please enlighten me.
huh.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I could have identified it as a Nicolosi,except it has the large cloth tag which is right at the collar,(easily visible).The second tag, with the order number,customer name,etc., is actually in the inner breast pocket.Come to think of it,most of the "heavy hitter" Savile Row tailoring firms do not have glitzy name/logo tags,merely the customer cloth tag on the inner breast pocket.Now,I have come to recognize the "signature" sleeve linings for most of these firms,so I can recognize them when I pull open the jacket.I have found many Savile Row suits stripped of tags due to the owner not wanting his name on the garment especially if he was donating it.There is one especially fine tailor,whom I've never found a tag on the inner pocket or anywhere,for that matter.The lining is a distinctive white and blue awning stripe on the waistband of the trousers as well as the sleeves.The pant pockets usually have the "Made in Huddersfield,England" fabric demarcation.The suits are especially finely tailored,and with all the Savile Row hallmarks.If anybody knows what firm this is,please enlighten me. Â
huh.gif
I've chosen fabrics that have the "Made in Huddersfield, England" tag -- but I don't recall the name of the firm. Perhaps it's the Cloth firm not the suitmaker that this "Huddersfield" applies to. The label is usually at bottom of trouser or in outside pocket of jackets, from what I've seen.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Congrats. Your coat probably cost $2,500 to $3,500 depending upon the cloth chosen. Aside from cost, Nicolosi is one of the best tailors in NYC.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Thanks--that Nicolosi is one fine garment. Further great news. I was in a small college town yesterday and found in a local vintage clothing store-one incredibly mint(.)Gieves Ltd,bespoke suit from 1963,(with royal warrants in the inside breast pocket),and a fantastic Fallan&Harvey (14oz cloth)chalkstripe sb jacket.Total investment:$83.00
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads