• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

adrs1157

Reaction score
Proper fit is first and foremost snug at the ball (widest part of the foot). This connection "holds" the shoe or boot to the foot. The reason choosing a longer length size but more narrow width could make good sense is because that more narrow width helps produce the snugness at the ball of the foot.
A footwear last and, or a pair of shoes/boots has approximately .5" of longitude at the ball area. It's not a fixed point. So , while staying within that .5" of longitude a consumer may try on two different length sizes, as well as several width options, to find the desired snugness at the ball of the foot while also receiving ample room at the forefoot/toe area of the shoe/boot.
So, the bottom line is that a proper fit is snugness at the ball (widest part of the foot) combined with ample room at the forefoot/toe area. To achieve this it does not matter whether a consumer chooses longer and more narrow or shorter and wider. To the company's credit, Nicks makes available 7-10 widths, so achieving a proper fit is relatively easy.
This goes against my many years of wearing workboots. I'm not an expert, but others looking for fitting advice will read this and I feel like the discussion needs to be had.

"Snugness" at the ball is not comfortable. That area of the foot needs space for splay, flexing and swelling.

Areas that you want locked down to keep the boot in place is the heel, instep, arch and sometimes ankle/calf depending on the activity.

However, not the ball or toe box. You want space there, especially if you're working. Must be able to wiggle your toes and flex at the ball.

DG123

Reaction score

Areas that you want locked down to keep the boot in place is the heel, instep, arch and sometimes ankle/calf depending on the activity.

If a boot is tall enough then one may be able to use laces to get the boot stay in place on the foot reasonably well. But that is different from a proper fit.
Knowledgeable fitters always first check ball width. If there is room at the ball (widest part of the foot) then the fit will always be sloppy.
Footwear Lasts are a combination of heel width and ball width, that is the heel width is always two sizes more narrow than the ball width. For example, a D width shoe/boot Last has a medium width ball and a B width heel. The reason for this is that the human foot is wider at the ball than it is the heel.
If a brand does not offer multiple widths then a fitter will not be able to properly fit many people.
Nicks brand does offer 7 to 10 different widths, which is great for proper fitting and one of the best aspects of the company. For example, with Nicks a person concerned that their toes will be cramped can wear a longer length size (which creates space at the entire forefoot, including the toe area), but still have their foot held in place by choosing a narrow enough width so that the ball area of the foot is snug to the upper. Not tight but snug.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler love the new pullon!. Any chance we could pick heel stack height and overall height? All the makings of a roper are RIGHT THERE!
We’ll have more options coming out as we work through additional pattern variations. Pretty heavy lift so not as much customization right now

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Lovely surprise and a bitchin' upgrade to my EDC loadout. Many thanks to everyone at Nicks!

IMG_5273.JPG

BG1976

Reaction score
Looking good, are those Urban Loggers?
I've got a pair of ULs in the same leather, one of my favorite boots. I'm almost at the point of a perfect, suction-like fit when I put them on.

montanamike

Reaction score
Looking good, are those Urban Loggers?
I've got a pair of ULs in the same leather, one of my favorite boots. I'm almost at the point of a perfect, suction-like fit when I put them on.
Yeah.. 8" which for me is maybe not perfect for anything but great for almost everything

BG1976

Reaction score
Yeah.. 8" which for me is maybe not perfect for anything but great for almost everything
8 inch boot is the best compromise that I've found between ankle support, looks, ease of getting into, etc.
Sadly, the only 8" ones that I currently have are black Overlanders and cxl #8 Roberts. Two new pairs on order are also 8s, and most of my future orders will be as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads