• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was just watching this on Youtube:
and thought that I'd recommend that everyone get a smooth titanium Demko AD20.5 in 3V steel in the shop, sharksfoot blade. The knife's shape is perfect for utility and art cuts, the locking system is rock solid and also incredible safe to open and close, and the 3V steel takes a great edge, fast, so, great for both use and maintenance.

I bought one to try out, where’s it made

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one to try out, where’s it made
The AD20.5 is made in Taiwan - same factories as Cold Steel, most likely, given that Andrew Demko was their designer for a long time.

If I come up to Spokane, I will bring one of my larger, American made AD20, which are great, but honestly, way more knife than anyone needs for any regular cutting task. and are also not as nimble in the hand.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, and for the kind words. Red Wing is Red Wing and the fact that they’ve been around as long as they have and still make many boots in the US is impressive. But yeah, the Americana is nicer and I hope a well-used part of your impressive collection!
When making this same point elsewhere it finally dawned on me to take a comparison picture of the two. For those like me who have the experience of owning boots like Wolverines, Redwings and those like Nicks, Whites, and Vibergs I don't need a picture because I can compare them anytime I want. I've made the comparisons I know first hand what the differences are.

A picture is worth 100 words. I don't own an Iron Ranger, but the Redwing Beckman is in the same class and uses all the same components as an Iron Ranger to include leather and leather thickness and is constructed the same. In person the differences are glaring, I think the picture conveys this with the exception of the actual weight and the differences as to how these two boots are constructed which I couldn't show unless I cut them in half which I'm not going to do. Although I think the stitching conveys this to a point.

As you said Redwing has been around for a long time and the boots at least when I purchased them were still very good boots which is with mentioning. For the price you"ll get a nice boot however if you require or you just want the better boot the choice is pretty easy in my opinion.

Nicks and Redwings 3.jpg

montanamike

Reaction score
When making this same point elsewhere it finally dawned on me to take a comparison picture of the two. For those like me who have the experience of owning boots like Wolverines, Redwings and those like Nicks, Whites, and Vibergs I don't need a picture because I can compare them anytime I want. I've made the comparisons I know first hand what the differences are.

A picture is worth 100 words. I don't own an Iron Ranger, but the Redwing Beckman is in the same class and uses all the same components as an Iron Ranger to include leather and leather thickness and is constructed the same. In person the differences are glaring, I think the picture conveys this with the exception of the actual weight and the differences as to how these two boots are constructed which I couldn't show unless I cut them in half which I'm not going to do. Although I think the stitching conveys this to a point.

As you said Redwing has been around for a long time and the boots at least when I purchased them were still very good boots which is with mentioning. For the price you"ll get a nice boot however if you require or you just want the better boot the choice is pretty easy in my opinion.

View attachment 1926513
I think Red Wing made the boat rise for everyone with the heritage line which was introduced around 2005 if I remember correctly. I think decent amount of growth in the PNW space could be partially attributed to the attention the line created. Nicks has positioned themselves well with a demonstrably superior product with the flexibility and creativity a monolith like Red Wing can't match.

That said, I hope Red Wing does well as their products are perfect gateway products. It's also a beautiful place to visit and well worth a stop for anyone traveling in the area

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Red Wing made the boat rise for everyone with the heritage line which was introduced around 2005 if I remember correctly. I think decent amount of growth in the PNW space could be partially attributed to the attention the line created. Nicks has positioned themselves well with a demonstrably superior product with the flexibility and creativity a monolith like Red Wing can't match.

That said, I hope Red Wing does well as their products are perfect gateway products. It's also a beautiful place to visit and well worth a stop for anyone traveling in the area
I personally started with Wolverines, Redwings, and Aldens. There was Carmina, Crockett and Jones, Rider Boot Co, Vibergs, Edward Green, Gazino & Girling, St Crispin, and often multiples of these brands. Then eventually because I have more than I can possibly wear Nicks and Whites. This doesn't even include some of those where I have shoes and no boots to include John Lobb, Raincourt, Oakstreet Bootmakers, Quoddy, and Allen Edmonds. But boots are a real favorite of mine.

Early on just getting a pair of Wolverines was just like wow, these are so much better than Timberlands. The area I live in really doesn't have much options for good quality footwear in fact the Redwing store doesn't even carry their better footwear.

Anyway Redwing did serve as a gateway for me, but many others who even bother to pay that much often find nothing else necessary. For me I just appreciate and enjoy the quality, the workmanship, designs, and better components, you get with better boots and shoes and no longer find those like Allen Edmonds, Redwings, Wolverines, and Aldens being quite as satisfying. I very much enjoy and appreciate wearing extremely nice footwear. It's not something I see any others doing in my backyard or those places I frequent except for one particular gentleman I know.

Nicks Boots are much different than Edward Green or even Vibergs for that matter. The thing that Nicks represents which Edward Green represents is an extremely well made product where you would be hard pressed to find anything better and that's what appeals to me to include how nice they feel when your wearing them. That and the occasional compliment feels good as well.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Break in progress with my new Nicks Americanas.

Three days in wearing boots for about an hour sitting in front of TV and flexing the leather the hot spot on the left boot doesn't seem to be there any longer.

Granted I'll need to walk in them to truly break them in, but just lacing them up and flexing them should help with breaking in the uppers.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Break in progress with my new Nicks Americanas.

Three days in wearing boots for about an hour sitting in front of TV and flexing the leather the hot spot on the left boot doesn't seem to be there any longer.

Granted I'll need to walk in them to truly break them in, but just lacing them up and flexing them should help with breaking in the uppers.
I always have one on my right big toe knuckle to start. It wears in after a week, or so. If it doesn’t do let us know.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always have one on my right big toe knuckle to start. It wears in after a week, or so. If it doesn’t do let us know.
Thanks for the offer but at this point I see no reason to be concerned. I expected minor bumps like this, besides as I noted I think it maybe gone due to flexing the leather like I have been doing.

Personally I just like making the process a bit easier for me by breaking in the uppers before actually attempting to break in the footbed. I may just wear them like this for a few weeks like this first.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
I personally started with Wolverines, Redwings, and Aldens. There was Carmina, Crockett and Jones, Rider Boot Co, Vibergs, Edward Green, Gazino & Girling, St Crispin, and often multiples of these brands. Then eventually because I have more than I can possibly wear Nicks and Whites. This doesn't even include some of those where I have shoes and no boots to include John Lobb, Raincourt, Oakstreet Bootmakers, Quoddy, and Allen Edmonds. But boots are a real favorite of mine.

Early on just getting a pair of Wolverines was just like wow, these are so much better than Timberlands. The area I live in really doesn't have much options for good quality footwear in fact the Redwing store doesn't even carry their better footwear.

Anyway Redwing did serve as a gateway for me, but many others who even bother to pay that much often find nothing else necessary. For me I just appreciate and enjoy the quality, the workmanship, designs, and better components, you get with better boots and shoes and no longer find those like Allen Edmonds, Redwings, Wolverines, and Aldens being quite as satisfying. I very much enjoy and appreciate wearing extremely nice footwear. It's not something I see any others doing in my backyard or those places I frequent except for one particular gentleman I know.

Nicks Boots are much different than Edward Green or even Vibergs for that matter. The thing that Nicks represents which Edward Green represents is an extremely well made product where you would be hard pressed to find anything better and that's what appeals to me to include how nice they feel when your wearing them. That and the occasional compliment feels good as well.
I own and wear often Alden Indy boots, Wolverine 1000 Mile, and Nicks boots.
The Indy Boot I believe uses the best quality leather; its Neocork sole is sensational for both comfort and longevity, and the overall craftsmanship of the product is excellent.
The Wolverine 1000 Mile boot line uses a great looking Last which will fit a very wide range of foot shapes. This line is designed to be a lightweight fashion boot
and it serves that market very well with decent quality leather uppers , basic outsoles, and respectable craftsmanship.
The Nicks boots I own and wear (Robert and Prospector models) are very well made of high quality materials heavy weight boots suitable for off road terrain.
For me my Alden's are best for dress casual wear, my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots a good everyday weight footwear, and my Nicks for outdoor hiking or labor work.

DG123

Reaction score

View attachment 1926513
I consider the Red Wing Made in USA work boots to be that company's premier line, not the Heritage stuff.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own and wear often Alden Indy boots, Wolverine 1000 Mile, and Nicks boots.
The Indy Boot I believe uses the best quality leather; its Neocork sole is sensational for both comfort and longevity, and the overall craftsmanship of the product is excellent.
The Wolverine 1000 Mile boot line uses a great looking Last which will fit a very wide range of foot shapes. This line is designed to be a lightweight fashion boot
and it serves that market very well with decent quality leather uppers , basic outsoles, and respectable craftsmanship.
The Nicks boots I own and wear (Robert and Prospector models) are very well made of high quality materials heavy weight boots suitable for off road terrain.
For me my Alden's are best for dress casual wear, my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots a good everyday weight footwear, and my Nicks for outdoor hiking or labor work.
My original intent was not to go down this path but it was more intended to praise Nicks Boots so I apologize for maybe taking things on a tangent I probably should not have gone on. But when someone responds to something I started I'm not going to walk away either. Thing is when making a statement where I'm trying to recommend something so highly I find it more relevant to also give a bit of background as to what my actual experiences have been and what my expectations would be. I just find if someone doesn't do that then it's much harder to take that recommendation as serious as I might otherwise.

Different strokes for different folks, but then again when it sounds like we probably don't even own a good majority of the same boots agreement becomes even more difficult to achieve. Or at least our experiences are different not because we owned some of the same boots because I possibly own and have experience with ones you do not and I found a good number more preferable to own. Many of the boots your talking about which are your favorites acted more like gateway boots for me. Alden and it's leather quality is just one example of this. There is better out there. You may have to pay more, but there is better out there or at least I perceived it to be in Lasts, design, quality, craftmanship, leather quality, and fit and finish. I just simply found others more worth spending my money on because they simply appealed to me much more. I mentioned many previously I think are much more preferable to include Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, and St Crispins. As many find their Lasts a good fit many do not. When choosing my shoes and boots I'm primarily looking for those that fit me best. Even if just sticking in the work boot category I would consider bootmakers such as Whites, Viberg, and Nicks at least with those I have experience with being better and more preferable. I'm also able to achieve a much better fit with these boots than say a Redwing or Alden. I know there are people who have some of these same boots and still like their Aldens. I just don't care for Alden boots as much. They may actually have a better Last I haven't tried but there are so many things I find better elsewhere that makes that prospect not as appealing to me. I thought more of them when I first got them, but later on found better and those that appealed much more to me.

Just because a Last for example accommodates more people actually makes a good fit impossible for a majority of folks that wear it. Blobbier boots simply don't do that for most people. They may be able to wear it but a good fit for many who pay for better shoes and boots means that a shoe or boot is not only snug but conforms more closely to ones foot shape. Not impossible to achieve and in fact more expensive shoes and boots which make more sleeker and more refined Lasts actually attempt to achieve that. In fact the very reason most who buy a Bespoke shoe or boot pay that much for in the first place is to get a shoe or boot that conforms to ones feet exactly even when both feet are even slightly different. I have a good number of that very kind of shoes and boots that conform more closely my feet. So when we don't even agree what a good fit this makes a bit harder to come to an agreement. That actually would become a basis for discussion which from what your saying we would have great difficulty achieving.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider the Red Wing Made in USA work boots to be that company's premier line, not the Heritage stuff.

Actually in retrospect I believe your correct, and since this is their best stuff this is also the reason I stopped buying any more of their stuff. Good for the price but in the end not what I was looking for. I just simply found better boots out there. Nicks would be a great example of that. This is exactly what makes Nicks Boots worth paying more for. That and you would be hard pressed to find better and this too is key for me because I'm looking to get the best I am willing to pay for and Nicks does that for me in it's category. It's not an Edward Green but Edward Green is also not a Nicks Boot.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads