• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's a short video of Skip Horween from our YT channel. An interesting and useful perspective, especially from a business standpoint, in my opinion.

Also, we've got a limited bison run going on right now.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the new Polarthin-XP insulation and under what conditions it makes sense to get with the boots? Would it be too hot in non-freezing temperatures / effectively make the boot only useful for freezing temps and below?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the new Polarthin-XP insulation and under what conditions it makes sense to get with the boots? Would it be too hot in non-freezing temperatures / effectively make the boot only useful for freezing temps and below?
It’s a new feature so the only ones I know that would have experience with it would be our local testers. But they do say that it does make room temperature feel warm.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
It’s a new feature so the only ones I know that would have experience with it would be our local testers. But they do say that it does make room temperature feel warm.

Any sense on whether it would it be too warm for kind of the 40/50 degree weather which is pretty common in the northeast fall/winter?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any sense on whether it would it be too warm for kind of the 40/50 degree weather which is pretty common in the northeast fall/winter?
It would be fine for that. Our testing went from 50s to 20s with no issues. It was when indoors that it felt too warm, so 68/70+.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
Sorry, one more question. Given lack of sizing data, would it be possible to get some sizing guidance for the HNW last?

I was thinking 7E based on the following but let me know if you think otherwise.

Your paper sizing guide - 8D
Sneakers (Reebok, Puma, etc.) - 8US or 40 IT
Grant Stone Leo 7D
Thursday Boots - 7.5D
Hunter Boots - 7 US
Alden Barrie - 7D/E
RM Williams - 6.5G UK
Most Carmina dress shoes - 6.5 UK

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my Nicks Custom Americana in Brown Chromexcel yesterday. I personally own a good number of boots all the way from Wolverine 1000 mile, Redwing, Alden, Whites, Viberg, Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, and St Crispins to name just a few. The only regret I have is I didn’t get a pair of Nicks sooner.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Received my Nicks Custom Americana in Brown Chromexcel yesterday. I personally own a good number of boots all the way from Wolverine 1000 mile, Redwing, Alden, Whites, Viberg, Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, and St Crispins to name just a few. The only regret I have is I didn’t get a pair of Nicks sooner.
Thank you for the kind words and very happy you like them!

montanamike

Reaction score
I bet those look great... toss up a few pics when you have a chance

adrs1157

Reaction score
Yes! Please share

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicks Custom Americana

NIcks Boots Custom Americana.jpg

With all the boots I have I'm actually a bit embarrassed I never got a Nicks Boot before now. But actually that's the main reason I didn't, I just have more boots than I can actually wear. However during this past year I started looking into correcting that. It just kept gnawing at me that I didn't have at least one.

With all the boots I own it did take me awhile and in fact I changed my order once before I landed on the Americana. On YouTube someone claims the Nicks Americana is the Iron Ranger Slayer. Although I have a Redwing boot I don't own an Iron Ranger, mainly because I moved on to nicer boots before considering getting one. For me anyway its much harder to drop down in quality once you move up the chain. Anyway I would agree that the Americana is the Iron Ranger I would much rather have and more importantly wear.

Often I wish I never even bothered with Redwing, but then again that does make you appreciate even more the kind of boots that Nicks makes.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nicks Custom Americana

View attachment 1925925

With all the boots I have I'm actually a bit embarrassed I never got a Nicks Boot before now. But actually that's the main reason I didn't, I just have more boots than I can actually wear. However during this past year I started looking into correcting that. It just kept gnawing at me that I didn't have at least one.

With all the boots I own it did take me awhile and in fact I changed my order once before I landed on the Americana. On YouTube someone claims the Nicks Americana is the Iron Ranger Slayer. Although I have a Redwing boot I don't own an Iron Ranger, mainly because I moved on to nicer boots before considering getting one. For me anyway its much harder to drop down in quality once you move up the chain. Anyway I would agree that the Americana is the Iron Ranger I would much rather have and more importantly wear.

Often I wish I never even bothered with Redwing, but then again that does make you appreciate even more the kind of boots that Nicks makes.
Thank you for sharing, and for the kind words. Red Wing is Red Wing and the fact that they’ve been around as long as they have and still make many boots in the US is impressive. But yeah, the Americana is nicer and I hope a well-used part of your impressive collection!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, and for the kind words. Red Wing is Red Wing and the fact that they’ve been around as long as they have and still make many boots in the US is impressive. But yAndeah, the Americana is nicer and I hope a well-used part of your impressive collection!
I was just watching this on Youtube:
and thought that I'd recommend that everyone get a smooth titanium Demko AD20.5 in 3V steel in the shop, sharksfoot blade. The knife's shape is perfect for utility and art cuts, the locking system is rock solid and also incredible safe to open and close, and the 3V steel takes a great edge, fast, so, great for both use and maintenance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads