• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Have you worn a Nicks CXL boot ?
I've found that the common complaints about CX in boots from Wolverine, Alden, Rancourt etc..., such as stretching, grain break etc...do not exist in the Nicks boots. My guess is that Nicks orders from Horween a CXL which seems to be twice as thick as the Horween CXL which other brands purchase.
Not quite but it is thicker. A lot of it is choosing what parts of the hides to use. I think that’s an underrated component that differentiates price points.

Vultain

Reaction score
My personal dislike for Chrome Excel more has to do with how soft it is and how it feels on my feet. Kudu reminds me the same as well as some of the other CF stead leathers. It doesn't offer as much support and I feel it more at the end of the work day. I think Horween does a great job and it is a great leather I respect. Just not for me

Nick's does do great though! Great leather selection and clicking! To answer the previous person. I think for my tastes I more prefer a medium to firm tempered leather. The firmer the better, my Nick's in tan Oiled Latigo remains my favorite pair of boots to this day because of it.

I do own some softer leathers in boots. They just are never my go to pairs. Great for casual use on the days off, but not for 10+ hours on my feet at my job.

I hope this answered your question. If I ever had to do Chrome Excel again it would either be Color #8 or Natural. Kudu is super soft, Horween's Predator Leather, and Horween Essex is even softer.

TyrLI

Reaction score
My personal dislike for Chrome Excel more has to do with how soft it is and how it feels on my feet. Kudu reminds me the same as well as some of the other CF stead leathers. It doesn't offer as much support and I feel it more at the end of the work day. I think Horween does a great job and it is a great leather I respect. Just not for me

Nick's does do great though! Great leather selection and clicking! To answer the previous person. I think for my tastes I more prefer a medium to firm tempered leather. The firmer the better, my Nick's in tan Oiled Latigo remains my favorite pair of boots to this day because of it.

I do own some softer leathers in boots. They just are never my go to pairs. Great for casual use on the days off, but not for 10+ hours on my feet at my job.

I hope this answered your question. If I ever had to do Chrome Excel again it would either be Color #8 or Natural. Kudu is super soft, Horween's Predator Leather, and Horween Essex is even softer.
I think I'd like my latigo boots a lot more if they didn't have a toe cap. I keep making the mistake of wearing them on heavy walking days and I always end up with blisters on the tops of my big toes.

Vultain

Reaction score
I think I'd like my latigo boots a lot more if they didn't have a toe cap. I keep making the mistake of wearing them on heavy walking days and I always end up with blisters on the tops of my big toes.
Ouch! I went a half size down from my flex point and went soft toed. I think that might give the comfortability. Have you tried wearing a work sock made for Steel Toes like the Paul Bunyan? I wonder if that might help some? Besides that I use the Woodlore Boot Boss to avoid toe curl. One of the perks to an 8" over a 10" boot. Blistering isn't fun!

TyrLI

Reaction score
Ouch! I went a half size down from my flex point and went soft toed. I think that might give the comfortability. Have you tried wearing a work sock made for Steel Toes like the Paul Bunyan? I wonder if that might help some? Besides that I use the Woodlore Boot Boss. One of the perks to an 8" over a 10" boot. Blistering isn't fun!
It's just such a stiff leather that the toe cap never moves or stretches while I'm wearing it. I always wear darn tough socks

Vultain

Reaction score
It's just such a stiff leather that the toe cap never moves or stretches while I'm wearing it. I always wear darn tough socks

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I'm glad I didn't opt for the toe cap. I remember talking to them in store and they said other than aesthetics you are always more comfortable without it. Red Wing tends to only use 4-5 oz leather on their Rangers. You figure that Nick's is closer to 5.5-7oz depending on the hide. Combine that with an already firm leather, molds to your foot, but doesn't stretch hardly if at all. It is a bit of a nightmare.

TyrLI

Reaction score
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I'm glad I didn't opt for the toe cap. I remember talking to them in store and they said other than aesthetics you are always more comfortable without it. Red Wing tends to only use 4-5 oz leather on their Rangers. You figure that Nick's is closer to 5.5-7oz depending on the hide. Combine that with an already firm leather, molds to your foot, but doesn't stretch hardly if at all. It is a bit of a nightmare.
I just bought some Steely Toe socks from Darn Tough. Hopefully that helps

Vultain

Reaction score
I just bought some Steely Toe socks from Darn Tough. Hopefully that helps
I hope it does. I accidentally bought some tactical ones when I meant to grab their winter hunting socks. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But please let me know how it works out.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler I'm interested in a pair of ready to ship 10" builder pros for the Thunderdome but I can't daily wear a 10" boot - would you guys be able to cut the boot down to 6" or 8" before sending to me? Will the boot shaft still fit the same as a boot that was already built to 6"/8" height?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No
@Nicks Boots Shuyler I'm interested in a pair of ready to ship 10" builder pros for the Thunderdome but I can't daily wear a 10" boot - would you guys be able to cut the boot down to 6" or 8" before sending to me? Will the boot shaft still fit the same as a boot that was already built to 6"/8" height?
no, I’m afraid not. We should have some more going up next week, however.

Phanes

Reaction score
The difference between 8 or 10 isn't that much. if I had to choose, I would choose the ready to ship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads