• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
My Brown Waxed Flesh Roberts MTO / 8” / 55 last / Antique Brass Hardware / rolled top edge / natural edges. These are 3 months / about 600 or 700 hours in (worn approximately 6 days a week about 10 hours a day). Still a bit stiff in the toe / knuckle area, and the heel has yet to really start confirming, but there is no discomfort anywhere with these. I applied Smiths conditioner once, and brushed the vamps a little bit with a brass brush.
I love the v-bar, great all purpose tread, and I don’t track mud and rocks into the house. I love the support of the 8” height, glad I went with that over the 6”. I seem to be developing a consistent heel scar which I can’t figure it’s origin (I don’t sit a lot at work, but it’s consistent on both) Oddly enough though, my 7 month old 1964 Brown Builder Pros have become my “comfy” boots. Now that I’ve completed an “everyday for 3 months break in” I will start rotating every other day with my Builder Pros.

Attachments

• A786F9DC-D924-4816-9B44-2526FF4764B7.jpeg
    A786F9DC-D924-4816-9B44-2526FF4764B7.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DC0F8723-5780-4D88-8664-8AA420D83B1F.jpeg
    DC0F8723-5780-4D88-8664-8AA420D83B1F.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 711BEDFE-F0E5-42BB-854E-18299481B2CA.jpeg
    711BEDFE-F0E5-42BB-854E-18299481B2CA.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 159
  • EBA78773-098A-461B-B1EE-37B5C298E9B2.jpeg
    EBA78773-098A-461B-B1EE-37B5C298E9B2.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 3040451E-8C99-4D8E-81E3-BD62E395656C.jpeg
    3040451E-8C99-4D8E-81E3-BD62E395656C.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 257

GringoInChile

Reaction score
Has Nick's ever considered offering speed hooks all the way to the top (instead of the single top eyelet)?
As someone who has to put his boots on 3-4x/day, I find myself missing the full speed hooks of my Red Wings and Danners.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Has Nick's ever considered offering speed hooks all the way to the top (instead of the single top eyelet)?
As someone who has to put his boots on 3-4x/day, I find myself missing the full speed hooks of my Red Wings and Danners.
It’s a good idea. Could be a good fit for the hiker. I think the thought here is that most people don’t use the top eyelet unless they’re firefighters or other heavy duty applications but definitely open to the idea, and we are learning a lot. Could be a great fit for some of our newer models.

FutureComesToday

Reaction score
I had requested it on my most recent order, however they were unable to fulfill the request. I'll likely attempt to buy the speed hooks separately and install them locally.

7/1 edit: I like the last hook because I get just a bit more ankle stability. When buying, I always wrestle between heights - most of the time there is no cost difference for the buyer when jumping from 6-8" boot. For Nicks, looking at it from solely a cost-benefit analysis, I imagine the four hooks per pair (and it's associated risks) is less costly than an extra 4" of leather hide.

Last edited:

MistacheMichael

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
My name is Michael. I'm from the Netherlands and work as a precision mechanic at the University of Eindhoven. I stand still most of the day and I've been wearing Timberland Pro Icons.
My employer requires me to wear safety toe boots and ever since Nicks did a sponsored video with Alec Steele and FireBall Tools I've been thinking of getting a pair of BuilderPros. I don't really need the support of an 8" or 10" boot and was thinking of doing a casual looking 6" build on a HNW last with a moderate logger heel in 1964 brown and a steel toe.
I was about to pull the trigger butt decided to look around again and saw the natural double stuffed leather is still available.
Since I've seen some people on the forum request some weird/custom builds I thought I'll give it a shot.

TLDR: What are your thoughts on a Natural Double Stuffed W&C boot with steel too, and @Nicks Boots Shuyler would that even be possible? Would look like this:

Boot Size (Length): 9.5
Boot Width: E
Last: HNW - Moderate Arch Standard Toe
Boot Height: 6''
Top Style: Standard
Hardware Configuration: Hooks and eyes - Recommended
Hook and Eye Color: Brass - Recommended
Pull Loop: No
Toe Structure: Celastic Toe
Heel Stack: Moderate (3/8"-1/2" Leather Stack)
Outsole: V100 Lug
Heel Profile: Logger

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
My name is Michael. I'm from the Netherlands and work as a precision mechanic at the University of Eindhoven. I stand still most of the day and I've been wearing Timberland Pro Icons.
My employer requires me to wear safety toe boots and ever since Nicks did a sponsored video with Alec Steele and FireBall Tools I've been thinking of getting a pair of BuilderPros. I don't really need the support of an 8" or 10" boot and was thinking of doing a casual looking 6" build on a HNW last with a moderate logger heel in 1964 brown and a steel toe.
I was about to pull the trigger butt decided to look around again and saw the natural double stuffed leather is still available.
Since I've seen some people on the forum request some weird/custom builds I thought I'll give it a shot.

TLDR: What are your thoughts on a Natural Double Stuffed W&C boot with steel too, and @Nicks Boots Shuyler would that even be possible? Would look like this:

I'd check with your employer what safety standards they accept, if they require you to wear safety boots.

Most employers in the EU require safety footwear that complies with ISO 20347(EN) safety standard. Nick's boots are certified to ASTM safety standards, which are American standards that aren't enforceable in Europe. Unless Nick's have sent their boots for ISO 20347(EN) certification recently, all the references on their website state ASTM safety standards and not European standards.

I'd check first of all if you can even wear an ASTM certified boot in a work environment that requires safety certified footwear in the EU. Otherwise, from a purely regulatory standpoint, there'd be no difference between wearing a pair of ASTM Nick's and a pair of Nike trainers, and your employer may simply not accept that liability.

Last edited:

MistacheMichael

Reaction score
I'd check with your employer what safety standards they accept, if they require you to wear safety boots.

Most employers in the EU require safety footwear that complies with ISO 20347(EN) safety standard. Nick's boots are certified to ASTM safety standards, which are American standards that aren't enforceable in Europe. Unless Nick's have sent their boots for ISO 20347(EN) certification recently, all the references on the their website state ASTM safety standards and not European standards.

I'd check first of all if you can even wear an ASTM certified boot in a work environment that requires safety certified footwear in the EU. Otherwise, from a purely regulatory standpoint, there'd be no difference between wearing a pair of ASTM Nick's and a pair of Nike trainers, and your employer may simply not accept that liability.

That's a good poit, thank you. I'll go and check.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

If you get the steel toe/EU thing worked out. I suggest you go with the 55 last,as opposed to the HNW. Standing on hard floors, your arches will thank you. If you can stand the aesthetics, the honey vibram sole may be worth looking at , also. Just some thoughts...

MistacheMichael

Reaction score
If you get the steel toe/EU thing worked out. I suggest you go with the 55 last,as opposed to the HNW. Standing on hard floors, your arches will thank you. If you can stand the aesthetics, the honey vibram sole may be worth looking at , also. Just some thoughts...

The safety toe certification won't be a problem. As for the last, as I understand it, the higher heel that comes with the 55 last is not preferable when standing a lot and since I'm new to decent boots with arch support I thought I'd keep it save. I did consider the honey vibram soles and don't mind the aesthetics but decided to go for the longevity of the 100 lugs.

TyrLI

Reaction score
The safety toe certification won't be a problem. As for the last, as I understand it, the higher heel that comes with the 55 last is not preferable when standing a lot and since I'm new to decent boots with arch support I thought I'd keep it save. I did consider the honey vibram soles and don't mind the aesthetics but decided to go for the longevity of the 100 lugs.
The 55 last is awesome for standing in. It kind of rotates your hips forward and takes the pressure off the balls of your feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads