• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

TyrLI

Reaction score
It’s what Wesco is known for in our little world. Of course we will do a nice job.
I did really like my boss boots until I messed up and stripped the finish off one of the toes. It's been a nightmare trying to fix it ?

TyrLI

Reaction score
I conditioned with bick 4, probably didn't wait long enough, and then tried touching up the color with Lincoln wax and it stripped the whole finish off. I assume it was coated with resolene because when I called seidel they asked me why I would condition it at all.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
I conditioned with bick 4, probably didn't wait long enough, and then tried touching up the color with Lincoln wax and it stripped the whole finish off. I assume it was coated with resolene because when I called seidel they asked me why I would condition it at all.
Wow, I always thought of Bick 4 as the lightest touch possible when it came to conditioning…

when I first got my current job 26 years ago, I bought some timberland boots (not the blonde ones, they were a dark reddish brown) at that time it was the most I had ever spent on shoes at the time. In the first week, I was a screen printers assistant. I had to strip the old stencils off of the previous week’s work, and we used to use this stuff called Haze Paste… I got a glob of it on my right boot, and didn’t realize it for an hour… by the time I rinsed it off, it had already eaten into the leather. For the next 2 years, it continued to slowly eat its way through my boot, and my ring finger toe poked through it, literally as I was swinging my foot over the top of the walk deck of a 50’ billboard that I had to paint that day. We had an old 50’ Boom Truck that had a ladder on the back of it, it was a situation where we’d back the truck up, extend the boom fully vertical, and it just barely touched the walk deck, and it would swing around a little until the first person (me on this day) tied it off to the walkdeck. My toe poking through distracted me just a little bit and I felt myself slip ever so much, and it really freaked me out… this was before OSHA made us wear harnesses, so, there was no safety net (our safety training was the boss telling us “don’t step back and admire your work)… fun times.
Here’s a fun video of the building with the billboard being demolished a few years ago.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, I always thought of Bick 4 as the lightest touch possible when it came to conditioning…

when I first got my current job 26 years ago, I bought some timberland boots (not the blonde ones, they were a dark reddish brown) at that time it was the most I had ever spent on shoes at the time. In the first week, I was a screen printers assistant. I had to strip the old stencils off of the previous week’s work, and we used to use this stuff called Haze Paste… I got a glob of it on my right boot, and didn’t realize it for an hour… by the time I rinsed it off, it had already eaten into the leather. For the next 2 years, it continued to slowly eat its way through my boot, and my ring finger toe poked through it, literally as I was swinging my foot over the top of the walk deck of a 50’ billboard that I had to paint that day. We had an old 50’ Boom Truck that had a ladder on the back of it, it was a situation where we’d back the truck up, extend the boom fully vertical, and it just barely touched the walk deck, and it would swing around a little until the first person (me on this day) tied it off to the walkdeck. My toe poking through distracted me just a little bit and I felt myself slip ever so much, and it really freaked me out… this was before OSHA made us wear harnesses, so, there was no safety net (our safety training was the boss telling us “don’t step back and admire your work)… fun times.
Here’s a fun video of the building with the billboard being demolished a few years ago.

Thanks for sharing. It’s amazing what bad things didn’t happen when we were younger.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I guess the only question I have at this point is will sanding the soles before applying be necessary? If not then Im not to worried about it.

Sanding the edges is very easy. Sanding sponges are best tool. 80-120 grit works great. It's amazing how good you can make the heel stack look with a few minutes of work. My Roberts are due for maintenance. Maybe Ill post some before/after pics if anyone is interested

sanding sponge.jpeg

Acrylic Resolene is a great sealant after sanding. It's kind of like clear nail polish. You can get brown or black but I only use Neutral. In my experience it's vastly superior to edge dressing.
resolene.jpg

montanamike

Reaction score
Sanding the edges is very easy. Sanding sponges are best tool. 80-120 grit works great. It's amazing how good you can make the heel stack look with a few minutes of work. My Roberts are due for maintenance. Maybe Ill post some before/after pics if anyone is interested

View attachment 1742464

Acrylic Resolene is a great sealant after sanding. It's kind of like clear nail polish. You can get brown or black but I only use Neutral. In my experience it's vastly superior to edge dressing.
View attachment 1742467
Exactly my experience... You can get a pair of boots looking great in an hour this way

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
I would probably go to jail if I let my kids do some of the stuff I did as a kid. I don't look at that as a societal advancement... :/
One thing is for sure… when both of my kids have their first jobs as adults… I’m gonna encourage them to get actual decent boots. My old man never saw the value, still doesn’t… and I paid the price, in many terrible pairs of work footwear over the years. I bet if I had bought some Nick’s back then, I’d still have them now. Of course the internet was still pretty new back then, not sure how I would have even heard of Nick’s back then… but you get the point.

Notgoodwithnames

Reaction score
@ll00ll00ll00ll Were those boots you posted earlier 1964 leather? Im going to get some work boots and I cant decide what leather to get. I dont like the look of roughout even though its good for work boots so Im down to 1964 or maybe predator orange. Cant decide.

Last edited:

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
@ll00ll00ll00ll Were those boots you posted earlier 1964 leather? Im going to get some work boots and I cant decide what leather to get. I dont like the look of roughout even though its good for work boots so Im down to 1964 or maybe predator orange. Cant decide.
Yes they are… at first the rough out was much lighter, and a little “yellower”… I threw some mink oil on them a couple weeks ago, and they’ve darkened nicely, and are very similar in color to the smooth upper. The photos on the site / internet don’t do it much justice, there’s a lot more character in both the rough and smooth than it looks in photos. Do yourself a favor and order some kilties in both colors, that’ll be a cheap way to see both. Added bonus is you can test different conditioners, oils, etc on them before you do it to your actual boots.

Notgoodwithnames

Reaction score
Yes they are… at first the rough out was much lighter, and a little “yellower”… I threw some mink oil on them a couple weeks ago, and they’ve darkened nicely, and are very similar in color to the smooth upper. The photos on the site / internet don’t do it much justice, there’s a lot more character in both the rough and smooth than it looks in photos. Do yourself a favor and order some kilties in both colors, that’ll be a cheap way to see both. Added bonus is you can test different conditioners, oils, etc on them before you do it to your actual boots.
Oh ya, good call on that. I think 1964 will be good but Orange predator seems to get a cooler patina I guess. But like you said its so hard to tell with pictures online vs real life.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Hey @Nicks Boots Shuyler, in a previous post you mentioned you were looking for ways to use scrap leather pieces… what if you made swatches that you could add to boot purchases, something that the customers could use to test different leather treatments on. And also for people to order to see different leather colors in person… just a thought…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads