• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

andy b.

Reaction score
imo/ime –

Mini lug:
• slightly thinner
• (barely) noticeably lighter
• less stiff
• (very) slightly better traction
• lugs collect a little bit of mud/rocks, but nowhere near V100

Vbar:
• slightly thicker
• (barely) noticeably heavier
• stiffer
• slightly more prone to slip
• virtually self-cleaning

That is my experience as well.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
It refers to the iron thickness of the midsole layers, here is a handy guide:

I would normally say the 9/4 is a lot of thickness but you’ve mentioned you want a lot of midsole, so extra thick could be the ticket. One thing to note is that it is so thick our sole stitchers can’t stitch through it so the sole is “only” attached with glue, nails and screws.

That chart is helpful but the 9/4 & 11/8 numbers are not listed in it and I cant figure out how to convert them based on 1oz = 1/64. The chart's numerator's are all greater than the denominator for fractional inches ... ?

Can you list the weight/oz of these soles & what the Ranger has for comparison? Hate to be a pain but you know how the old saying goes; "measure twice, cut once"

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That chart is helpful but the 9/4 & 11/8 numbers are not listed in it and I cant figure out how to convert them based on 1oz = 1/64. The chart's numerator's are all greater than the denominator for fractional inches ... ?

Can you list the weight/oz of these soles & what the Ranger has for comparison? Hate to be a pain but you know how the old saying goes; "measure twice, cut once"
The 9 corresponds to the iron measurement of the mid sole piece while the 4 is that of the slipsole piece, so there are two pieces. Same for 11 and 8, if that makes sense. The Ranger is only available with the 9 iron midsole and 4 iron slip. The 11/8 is 3 mm thicker than the 9/4 combo, in total. Your latigo boot leather is roughly 2.25 mm thick, for reference.

9 and 4 is roughly equivalent to 12 and 5-6 Oz leather while 11 and 8 is equivalent to 14-15 and 10-11 Oz, respectively.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
My very, very first pair of BPs was thicker/non-stitched.

In short, I’m a lot happier in my stitched-through pairs. I weigh around 180-185, and the stitched sole flexes a lot more naturally with my gait and “hugs” uneven terrain a lot better off-trail.

That said, if I weighed 250+ or routinely packed enough weight that would put me in that ballpark I wouldn’t hesitate to opt for it again.

TyrLI

Reaction score
So non-stitched through refers to the stitching of bottom of the boots? Does that stitching do much? It wears away pretty quickly

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My very, very first pair of BPs was thicker/non-stitched.

In short, I’m a lot happier in my stitched-through pairs. I weigh around 180-185, and the stitched sole flexes a lot more naturally with my gait and “hugs” uneven terrain a lot better off-trail.

That said, if I weighed 250+ or routinely packed enough weight that would put me in that ballpark I wouldn’t hesitate to opt for it again.
Yeah, its only 3 mm but it’s the the stiffest leather you can get.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So non-stitched through refers to the stitching of bottom of the boots? Does that stitching do much? It wears away pretty quickly
It doesn’t hurt but there are a lot of redundancies in the boots due to their base form being for working way out in the woods. Nails, screws, glue and thread.

TyrLI

Reaction score
10” Builder Pro in Tan. Steel toe. 2 row cap. Natural Edge. 430 sole. 9/4 mid.

I really like Nick’s Walnut work leather and going with the Tan was a last minute call. Wonder how they’ll look after a year of utility work on em
Nice! Smooth or roughout?

andy b.

Reaction score

It's a special thread. Back in the day it was one of the secrets of a good shoemaker that his shoes wouldn't fall apart once the exposed portion of the thread wore away. It has a special coating on it that more or less locks it into the sole layers of the footwear. The holding power isn't dependent on the exposed loop of thread on the underside of the sole.

And as Shuyler stated, the thread is only one piece of the puzzle. I have several pairs of boots with the double midsole and 100 lug outsole, and no stitching goes through the 100 lug portion. They have not had any separation issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads