• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Vultain

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, 1964 leather takes a nice shine. This is just a brush shine with neutral kiwi
Nice! It really makes me wonder if it is possible to do a mirror shine by building up some layers of Saphir cream polish, and then use the wax polish. Given the fact that the 1964 leather is oil tanned I never thought of it taking a shine. Now if only Burgundy was available... ? But props to you! The satin gloss look really suits the leather and good idea!

Out of curiosity though, how much elbow grease was involved with doing that?

TyrLI

Reaction score
Nice! It really makes me wonder if it is possible to do a mirror shine by building up some layers of Saphir cream polish, and then use the wax polish. Given the fact that the 1964 leather is oil tanned I never thought of it taking a shine. Now if only Burgundy was available... ? But props to you! The satin gloss look really suits the leather and good idea!

Out of curiosity though, how much elbow grease was involved with doing that?
All of five minutes. Applied one layer of kiwi, let it dry for about a minute, and then brushed vigorously for a few minutes. They're a nice deep satin brown with red undertones now.

Vultain

Reaction score
All of five minutes. Applied one layer of kiwi, let it dry for about a minute, and then brushed vigorously for a few minutes. They're a nice deep satin brown with red undertones now.
Good to know and yeah that is not a whole lot of elbow grease involved at the end of the day. I am personally not a Kiwi fan as I always found it flaked off. This might sound odd but I swear vintage Kiwi from when I was a kid was made of better stuff! But I really do like the look so it has me debating picking up the 1964 leather sometime down the line, especially with Shuyler's whole alluding to "stay tuned". I have a lot of browns in my collection as is, otherwise I would have probably have jumped on it.

TyrLI

Reaction score
Good to know and yeah that is not a whole lot of elbow grease involved at the end of the day. I am personally not a Kiwi fan as I always found it flaked off. This might sound odd but I swear vintage Kiwi from when I was a kid was made of better stuff! But I really do like the look so it has me debating picking up the 1964 leather sometime down the line, especially with Shuyler's whole alluding to "stay tuned". I have a lot of browns in my collection as is, otherwise I would have probably have jumped on it.
It's closer to red wing copper rough n tough than to a medium brown

Vultain

Reaction score
It's closer to red wing copper rough n tough than to a medium brown
Good to know. I've seen the 1964 in person and didn't pick up on that. Then again I think that I strictly saw a leather scrap at the time. No wonder everyone on here said the leather patinas so well.

bucky0486

Reaction score
I got my boots a couple of weeks ago (1964 roughout) and they've been breaking in easier than expected. We just got our first bit of snow and was thinking about using some Obenauf's LP to help keep melting snow and salt off of the leather, but I have concerns about how the grease will affect the nap of the roughout. I love the way they look now, but I'm not sure how the salt will affect the roughout (these are my first roughout boots).

Any thoughts? Should I just leave them as-is?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I got my boots a couple of weeks ago (1964 roughout) and they've been breaking in easier than expected. We just got our first bit of snow and was thinking about using some Obenauf's LP to help keep melting snow and salt off of the leather, but I have concerns about how the grease will affect the nap of the roughout. I love the way they look now, but I'm not sure how the salt will affect the roughout (these are my first roughout boots).

The oil will definitely reduce the nap. You can always get it back with a wire brush, depending on your comfort level with that. As long as you rinse the salt off at the end of the day I don’t think it will have too much of a lasting impact. The oil will also darken the leather.

To give you an idea of what will happen with oil treatment, the counter on the right is our first 1964 brown test prototype after a fire season with a good amount of oil applied over its first ~ 6 months. The leather on the left is from the 70’s and what we were targeting with this new leather.

I would probably resist oiling for a good bit and just make sure you’re getting the salt off at the end of the day with a (very) damp rag.

1638984721180.jpeg

TyrLI

Reaction score

LP turns it into a smooth boot (left) vs just oil (right) where the nap is still raised. Any scuffs on the LP boot will raise the nap (or a wire brush) so it basically becomes like waxed flesh after applying it.

Attachments

• 20211208_124350.jpg
    20211208_124350.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 112

Phanes

Reaction score
A productive day in the desaster zone Ahrtal.
Good I had them, too much debris and shattered glass. The high arch sole with v100 safes my butt today and i had zero water in my boots. Bit dirty but it'll buff out.
View attachment 1643010
From this here to this look. Between those pics are 4 stressful months for those boots, including diesel and very wet conditions plus concrete and gravel. I even made them temporarily a waxed flesh with the little obenauf LP that came in the box.
I cleaned them last week with Saphir omnidaim, especially made for rough out.

PXL_20211202_145424370~2.jpg

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Nice, a little bit of brushing to make that go away. If it still doesn't then a bit of white vinegar with water.

That said what sort of crazy workshift or thing did you do to make you wear your boots 36 hours straight?

Thanks for the vinegar tip.

The 36 hour thing… that was a matter of packing up and vacating a house on shorter than planned notice. Wouldn’t want to ever repeat that, but I feel like it was actually a much overdue growing experience.

Like hey, maybe I don’t need both textbooks from that Latin class I failed my freshman year of college. Whoa… maybe I don’t actually need half the crap I have for some reason?

kornnn

Reaction score
Hello.
Experienced people tell me please.
Which Nicks leather, after breaking and darkening, matches the color and texture of the jacket shown in the photos? This CLX steerhide is brown in color and has a relatively smooth surface.

s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads