• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Phanes

Reaction score
My friend told me his were some type of mountaineering boot issued by the German military.
I started searching online and do you know what I ended up getting? A pair of Nick's Hot
Similar story here. Meindl had a reissue of an old heritage hiking boot as an anniversary special. Bit it couldn't find it in my size first and when I found them, they weren't far from redwings or similar boots but even pricier. The normal Meindl don't really have a quality feel or go to far towards customer needs , concerning lightness and breathability. They are not durable anymore. So I went after heavy, thick leather and welted soles and ended up with Nicks.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
yes they are

They look great, the Roberts I have on order are in that 1964 smooth brown... would love to see some more actual patina'd leather pictures... can't find too much online anywhere. I see from the Nick's marketing that it wants to darken up considerably with use/oil/treatment, but from what I can see of the uppers, it looks like it will take on a bit of a darker tone naturally.

You wouldn't happen to have access to any other pics would you? I know it's relatively new to the market, so customer wear pics are not really possible yet... but if you guys have been developing it for 2 years, there must be some longer term testing / actual field use pics hanging around? And it looks from the scant few pics of the roughout, that it's a touch lighter and "yellower"... is that correct?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
They look great, the Roberts I have on order are in that 1964 smooth brown... would love to see some more actual patina'd leather pictures... can't find too much online anywhere. I see from the Nick's marketing that it wants to darken up considerably with use/oil/treatment, but from what I can see of the uppers, it looks like it will take on a bit of a darker tone naturally.

You wouldn't happen to have access to any other pics would you? I know it's relatively new to the market, so customer wear pics are not really possible yet... but if you guys have been developing it for 2 years, there must be some longer term testing / actual field use pics hanging around? And it looks from the scant few pics of the roughout, that it's a touch lighter and "yellower"... is that correct?
That’s correct on the roughout. I will see what we have. While it’s is been in development for a while, the leather we tested on early in the process is different than what we eventually arrived at so I’m hesitant to say that’s what it will look like, if that makes sense.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
That’s correct on the roughout. I will see what we have. While it’s is been in development for a while, the leather we tested on early in the process is different than what we eventually arrived at so I’m hesitant to say that’s what it will look like, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I get it. I work with our marketing, and they hate releasing stuff that misrepresents the product.

TyrLI

Reaction score

Here are some pics I took over the weekend before and after my first use of Obenauf's LP on them. They're about three months old and get worn 2-3 times a week at work. They're 1964 smooth Rangers.
20211023_160123.jpg
20211023_160142.jpg
20211023_160150.jpg
20211023_160156.jpg
20211023_160203.jpg
20211023_160210.jpg
20211023_160934.jpg
20211023_160956.jpg

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Here are some pics I took over the weekend before and after my first use of Obenauf's LP on them. They're about three months old and get worn 2-3 times a week at work. They're 1964 smooth Rangers. View attachment 1691850 View attachment 1691851 View attachment 1691852 View attachment 1691853 View attachment 1691854 View attachment 1691855 View attachment 1691856 View attachment 1691857
AWESOME.. thanks for posting those. That's basically exactlly what Im looking for.
I think I've definitely made the right choice. I am right now struggling with the 6" or 8" height question, how have you found the uppers during break-in?

I do not do anything like heavy lifting, or construction, or anything that the "work boot" crowd does... but i'm definitely on my feet most of the day, and definitely put in 2 miles a day at our shop. I've noticed over the years of long distance hiking that i have weak ankles, and as the miles wear on, i'm prone to rolling them. I'm certainly not hiking at work though, I was just thinking that an 8" might help with some of the fatigue of standing / working on hard concrete all day. But it would be a first for me...

TyrLI

Reaction score
AWESOME.. thanks for posting those. That's basically exactlly what Im looking for.
I think I've definitely made the right choice. I am right now struggling with the 6" or 8" height question, how have you found the uppers during break-in?

I do not do anything like heavy lifting, or construction, or anything that the "work boot" crowd does... but i'm definitely on my feet most of the day, and definitely put in 2 miles a day at our shop. I've noticed over the years of long distance hiking that i have weak ankles, and as the miles wear on, i'm prone to rolling them. I'm certainly not hiking at work though, I was just thinking that an 8" might help with some of the fatigue of standing / working on hard concrete all day. But it would be a first for me...
I've honestly decided I hate 6" boots now that I've worn these for a while. I've never twisted my ankle, so it's not like I need ankle support, but 6" boots top out at a weird point and my pants leg gets snagged on them etc. The extra 10 seconds it takes to lace up my boots in the morning is the only downside, and super minor. Also, 8" boots just look better imho. They look less stumpy.

I actually changed the pair of oiled latigo boots I had on order from 6" to 8" after wearing these.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've honestly decided I hate 6" boots now that I've worn these for a while. I've never twisted my ankle, so it's not like I need ankle support, but 6" boots top out at a weird point and my pants leg gets snagged on them etc. The extra 10 seconds it takes to lace up my boots in the morning is the only downside, and super minor. Also, 8" boots just look better imho. They look less stumpy.

I actually changed the pair of oiled latigo boots I had on order from 6" to 8" after wearing these.
Some people (me) say that 8” is the perfect aesthetic height for footwear.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score

that's great to know... I currently have them on order at 8", but the last few days, I've thought maybe I made a mistake. I own a pair of LL Bean Maine hunting shoes, that are 10", which I was wearing over the weekend, and I have decided I don't like 10" for sure. And honestly the Maine Hunting shoes don't fit my leg great, I basically am pulling the eyelets together near the top.
Hmm...I guess I'll leave them at 8" for now. I suppose that would end up being my reason for getting another pair in 6" at some other point if I don't love the 8".

TyrLI

Reaction score
Nor'easter coming so the lighting isn't great, but this is two days post-LP. They retained 90% of their character and only darkened maybe half a shade. They are shinier now, so I know the wax is sitting on top.

20211025_170441.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads