• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I went up a half size overall in my footwear a few years ago and it has dramatically reduced break-in pain for me. I now prefer a little more room.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love these boots, but the lack of arch support is really becoming a problem at work. My other favorite pair of boots that I've logged well over a 1000 miles in the Adirondack Mountains, are Limmer Lightweights. I feel like they are the East Coast, hiking focused cousin to Nicks. I'd wear those for work but they're just too bulky and have a quite stiff shank in them (thankfully).

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love these boots, but the lack of arch support is really becoming a problem at work. My other favorite pair of boots that I've logged well over a 1000 miles in the Adirondack Mountains, are Limmer Lightweights. I feel like they are the East Coast, hiking focused cousin to Nicks. I'd wear those for work but they're just too bulky and have a quite stiff shank in them (thankfully).
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I was not super familiar with Limmer and you are sending me down a rabbit hole, ha.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I was not super familiar with Limmer and you are sending me down a rabbit hole, ha.
I've had them for 25 years+, and I can no longer read what size they were (I bought stock boots). I love how they fit, but i have no idea how to relay that info to Nicks.
Anyhoo... yeah they are super thick / durable leather, it's all one piece with just one huge stitch on the side. I've been up to my knees in mud (with gaiters) and they stay remarkably dry. They have a very loyal following in New Hampshire (where they're made). They were the first "real" boots I ever bought, I had several pairs of Vasque's before that, and had to replace them every year. So I looked for something that would actually last, and I've still got them 25 years later. They are the reason I know the value of the Nick's I'll be receiving.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback on the sizing, i'm very excited to get into the Nick's family.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Interesting shoes, looks like German or Austrian alpine boot making, compareable to Meindl or Schuh bertl or Haferl. Quality stuff and quite robust stuff.
They're very dense, i've abused them pretty harshly. There are a couple pics attached that show the kind of abuse they get subjected to in the Adirondacks, it's either swampy marsh, or sharp granite on steep inclines, or a mix of both. And yes, i believe they were originally a German company. I also believe it's still just a couple of guys doing most of the work up in New Hampshire, but I think they still manufacture their stock boots in Germany. It's kind of a joke that they call them "Lightweights" they easily way a pound and a half each.

I'm always amazed that I don't see more of them in the Adirondacks, it seems that most people hiking there prefer the modern lightweight synthetic stuff. Like I said previously, I was replacing a pair of Vasque's yearly until I found these. I would wear right through the sole, or it would come unglued, and man oh man, did they stink after a year's use. I'll never buy another synthetic hiking boot again, and especially not with goretex, which is a joke in my opinion.

I feel like the Nicks I ordered will be very similar in density and longevity. I was super happy to find Nicks, because I always wanted a daily workboot that was at the quality level of my Limmers. I don't work in a really hard environment, mainly production floor stuff, and climbing inside of enormous printers, but then also having to go on site and look somewhat respectable. I really think the Robert is exactly the right tool for the job. My Redwings have been solid, but just offer no arch support, and my feet hang over. I've been reading through all 85 pages of these posts, and I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• 2019_09_29 at 13-26-12-1.JPG
    2019_09_29 at 13-26-12-1.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.04.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.04.19 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 88

Phanes

Reaction score
Yeah, I think a nicks boot could work for you. Compared to Meindl, I would say they are massively build in comparison, 1.5kg each boot is quite a statement and after 10h you notice it.
But going I to a desaster zone each week in various conditions from deep mud to collapsed buildings, into to swamp areas and forest they still look great and I always felt safe. My iron rangers didn't took that much of a beating and have some leather issues after a year, like deep creasing, so have have to spare them from harsher conditions. Which helps me a lot because they don't have a foot bed at all, just awful after 5h on hard concrete.
Just be prepared for some lead times.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Yeah, I think a nicks boot could work for you. Compared to Meindl, I would say they are massively build in comparison, 1.5kg each boot is quite a statement and after 10h you notice it.
But going I to a desaster zone each week in various conditions from deep mud to collapsed buildings, into to swamp areas and forest they still look great and I always felt safe. My iron rangers didn't took that much of a beating and have some leather issues after a year, like deep creasing, so have have to spare them from harsher conditions. Which helps me a lot because they don't have a foot bed at all, just awful after 5h on hard concrete.
Just be prepared for some lead times.
Yeah looks like I’ll be out for about 4-5 months. Which I understand, and will get over. Hopefully I’ll have them end of February, early March. Just gonna have to calm down and go “zen” about it.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
They're very dense, i've abused them pretty harshly. There are a couple pics attached that show the kind of abuse they get subjected to in the Adirondacks, it's either swampy marsh, or sharp granite on steep inclines, or a mix of both. And yes, i believe they were originally a German company. I also believe it's still just a couple of guys doing most of the work up in New Hampshire, but I think they still manufacture their stock boots in Germany. It's kind of a joke that they call them "Lightweights" they easily way a pound and a half each.

I'm always amazed that I don't see more of them in the Adirondacks, it seems that most people hiking there prefer the modern lightweight synthetic stuff. Like I said previously, I was replacing a pair of Vasque's yearly until I found these. I would wear right through the sole, or it would come unglued, and man oh man, did they stink after a year's use. I'll never buy another synthetic hiking boot again, and especially not with goretex, which is a joke in my opinion.

I feel like the Nicks I ordered will be very similar in density and longevity. I was super happy to find Nicks, because I always wanted a daily workboot that was at the quality level of my Limmers. I don't work in a really hard environment, mainly production floor stuff, and climbing inside of enormous printers, but then also having to go on site and look somewhat respectable. I really think the Robert is exactly the right tool for the job. My Redwings have been solid, but just offer no arch support, and my feet hang over. I've been reading through all 85 pages of these posts, and I'm loving what I'm seeing.
Roberts are a great choice but they may be a little heavier-duty than the Limmers, tbh. They're going to be around 2.5 lbs each, I just weighed some, just FYI. Phanes has BuilderPros which are actually built the same way just out of slightly heavier weight leather with a heavier sole and more leather in the upper because it's taller, which is how his are 3 lbs. I just want to be super clear that I think you'll get great support out of the Roberts but they are not going to be a lighter version of your Limmers.

andy b.

Reaction score
Interesting story regarding Meindl boots. I was working in Germany and a friend had a pair of Meindls he wore for work. I thought they were the most heavy duty looking boots I ever saw. I was on a mission to get a pair of those beasts, but couldn't find the same style anywhere. My friend told me his were some type of mountaineering boot issued by the German military.
I started searching online and do you know what I ended up getting? A pair of Nick's Hot Shots in Tan Teton. They are probably the closest thing I ever found to the Meindls. And I'm sure Shuyler won't be happy I say this, but I think they were one of the last pairs Nick's made in lace-to-toe. They are total beasts and have been resoled once.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting story regarding Meindl boots. I was working in Germany and a friend had a pair of Meindls he wore for work. I thought they were the most heavy duty looking boots I ever saw. I was on a mission to get a pair of those beasts, but couldn't find the same style anywhere. My friend told me his were some type of mountaineering boot issued by the German military.
I started searching online and do you know what I ended up getting? A pair of Nick's Hot Shots in Tan Teton. They are probably the closest thing I ever found to the Meindls. And I'm sure Shuyler won't be happy I say this, but I think they were one of the last pairs Nick's made in lace-to-toe. They are total beasts and have been resoled once.
LTTs will be back. Lots going on.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@andy b. what an absolute, terrific pair. the scars look like a cave painting & gotta have some stories; care to flesh out how they came to their current state?

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Roberts are a great choice but they may be a little heavier-duty than the Limmers, tbh. They're going to be around 2.5 lbs each, I just weighed some, just FYI. Phanes has BuilderPros which are actually built the same way just out of slightly heavier weight leather with a heavier sole and more leather in the upper because it's taller, which is how his are 3 lbs. I just want to be super clear that I think you'll get great support out of the Roberts but they are not going to be a lighter version of your Limmers.
It’s not the weight at all… the limmers are super stiff in the sole (great for trekking over rocks… not quite a ski boot, but definitely not something that flexes a lot). That’s the main characteristic that make them unrealistic for the type of work I do. I think the Roberts will not have this same issue. Thanks for clarifying though. The Limmers are very much meant for rough terrain hiking, they do really well in back country, on soft or rocky trails… but they are quite fatiguing to wear on something like pavement for any duration.

andy b.

Reaction score
@andy b. what an absolute, terrific pair. the scars look like a cave painting & gotta have some stories; care to flesh out how they came to their current state?

I spent about 6 months hiking the dormant volcanic landscape of Ascension Island. That pair of Nick's were the only boots I wore. "Clinker" is not kind to footwear. LOL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads