• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

montanamike

Reaction score
Unless you object to wool strongly, Darn Tough have been great for me. I wear them 350-360 days a year. Expensive yes.. a good value... for sure

TyrLI

Reaction score
With my boots, I currently wear the cheapest cotton socks I can buy at Walmart. Looking for a serious upgrade. What are your suggestions?
I wear nothing but Darn Tough. Best socks ever

montanamike

Reaction score
With my boots, I currently wear the cheapest cotton socks I can buy at Walmart. Looking for a serious upgrade. What are your suggestions?
Nicks has most of the good ground covered though currently limited selection of Darn Tough. Lorpen are good and Fox River private labels socks for good places (Filson) so they are a good option as well.

Seems counter intuitive but in my experience, wool socks shine in summer as they don't feel as hot / sweaty etc as cotton. They are great in colder temps of course but don't dismiss them in summer

Buellrider

Reaction score
Darn Tough, Smartwool, Chup are all good. Really anything wool blend is better than athletic cotton socks. But my favorite are Farm to Feet, they work well with heavy boots like Nicks and last forever. And USA made.

WJosiah

Reaction score
If Darn Tough and Smartwool seems too expensive, Costco's Kirkland merino wool blend socks are top value/dollar.

andy b.

Reaction score
I agree with the others. Darn Tough are good, as are almost any sock with a high wool content (I go for over 70%). Wool absorbs tons of moisture to cool your feet in summer, yet retains heat in winter. I have no idea how it works, but sheep have been wearing wool exclusively for probably a half million years, and they're still surviving.
The best deal on wool socks I ever found were some Cabelas brand with about a 85% wool content. I must have 6 or 7 pairs. They are like wool felt boot liners in the shape of a sock. Mine are at least 6 years old and still going strong.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Burgundy Latigo, my homies. Burgundy Latigo. I could endlessly gush and wax poetic, but I’ll just let the photos speak for themselves.

@Nicks Boots Shuyler (and Grant!) thanks so much for graciously offering me this leather option.

07C10AEC-C06D-40A8-9473-109988A1195D.jpeg
DA7A3A6B-EA49-4A52-9EA0-F9007670680D.jpeg
65C4B559-65E9-4D66-803B-A7A66036F044.jpeg

montanamike

Reaction score
Burgundy Latigo, my homies. Burgundy Latigo. I could endlessly gush and wax poetic, but I’ll just let the photos speak for themselves.

@Nicks Boots Shuyler (and Grant!) thanks so much for graciously offering me this leather option.

View attachment 1674495 View attachment 1674496 View attachment 1674498

View attachment 1674495 View attachment 1674496 View attachment 1674498
Yeah.. I'd be pretty much willing to clean all the bathrooms in Spokane Arena with my tongue after Monster Truck Jam 2021 for a pair of those.

Seriously nice in the sun...

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@bucky0486 - As somewhat of a sock aficionado Darn Tough are the best Ive tried. I probably have 40+ pairs. They have a "Tactical" line which have been my absolute favorites. They come in a couple weights based on the season or climate. Their Over the Calf height socks are what I like best for work/taller boots. They stay up very well.

@Cycling Sasquatch Congrats on that fantastic pair of boots! Latigo tanned leather is something new to me this year. Seriously amazing stuff; reminds me of Iron Heart's 25oz denim. It's stiff, heavy, doesn't stretch and takes a LONG time to break in. The Burgundy is beautiful. Quite tempting to order something in it.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
@Cycling Sasquatch It's stiff, heavy, doesn't stretch and takes a LONG time to break in.
Thank you! And good to know my first impressions weren’t at all misguided ?
My first time wearing them outside was supposed to be an evening at a standup/storytelling show… so a 2-3 block walk from the car to this bar and back, with a couple hours just lounging around. Must’ve been something in the water; somehow that went on to become a 4-5 mile stroll across town with a lady friend at 0-dark-thirty.
Hoo boy, did that 1964 brown stuff spoil my feet… I’d straight up forgotten what break-in is all about.

mikeczyz

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler
How would you characterize the differences between teton tan and 1964 brown roughout? is it just color?

And is this accurate? A $120 upcharge for W&C kilties?

1632531472475.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads