• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any pictures of anything in the Wickett and Craig English bridle in burgundy?

Its nearly tax time here in Australia, and I'm thinking of getting a pair of officer boots in that colour, or maybe the latingo.

Also how would sizing compare to Wesco Jobmasters? I'm still waiting on a pair of those that I ordered in December (which I was informed won't be completed until August some time!), but I trust the crew at Bakers got my sizing right from the tracings I sent them (I also tried on a pair of Danner ADF Combat Boots in the same size - a 10.5e for the left and 10.5ee for the right - and they fit like a glove) . Otherwise is it possible to be sized at Nicks using the same tracings?

Thanks in advance - I've enjoyed reading through this thread, and especially the involvement of a representative from Nicks here.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any pictures of anything in the Wickett and Craig English bridle in burgundy?

Its nearly tax time here in Australia, and I'm thinking of getting a pair of officer boots in that colour, or maybe the latingo.

Also how would sizing compare to Wesco Jobmasters? I'm still waiting on a pair of those that I ordered in December (which I was informed won't be completed until August some time!), but I trust the crew at Bakers got my sizing right from the tracings I sent them (I also tried on a pair of Danner ADF Combat Boots in the same size - a 10.5e for the left and 10.5ee for the right - and they fit like a glove) . Otherwise is it possible to be sized at Nicks using the same tracings?

Thanks in advance - I've enjoyed reading through this thread, and especially the involvement of a representative from Nicks here.
Wow, that lead time is wild. My recommendation would be go with 10.5E. I will see about getting pics of the burgundy, but would probably recommend the Latigo regardless, it is a really nice leather.

Buellrider

Reaction score
How does the burgundy bridle compare to the burgundy milled harness color wise? The bridle looks more red from the stock pics.

Reaction score
Wow, that lead time is wild. My recommendation would be go with 10.5E. I will see about getting pics of the burgundy, but would probably recommend the Latigo regardless, it is a really nice leather.

Thanks for replying so fast!

Yeah it's a little disappointing. I followed up at the 12 week mark and was told mid-May, then May came and went, and when I asked what the ETA would be they said another 8-10 weeks. It's not Bakers' fault (although it would have been nice to have been notified of the delays), and with the COVID situation over there I can understand that things might be a bit touch and go for a lot of small businesses. I'm still looking forward to getting them.

If you can find some pictures that would be awesome. The latingo is pretty tempting, but I think it may be a bit light for my style, and maybe wouldn't go as well with the kinds of clothes I tend to wear - I'm going to be mulling it over anyway. The #8 CXL coming out soon is also another tempting option. So many choices!

Another question, is it possible to get the officer boot with a toe cap and celastic toe box? I've been wearing black G.I combat boots (used to be standard issue parade boots for the Australian Army, but they stopped making them a while ago, so they are getting harder to find now) pretty much every day for almost 15 years now, and they have a structured toe. My current pair is starting to fall apart, and over here the options are pretty limited, hence falling into the PNW bootmaker rabbit hole. The jobmasters I ordered are in the black tie domaine with vibram 100 soles and double midsoles, which suit my style (I'm a bit of a goth ?), but I decided they may be a little too much to wear to work (I'm a teacher), despite the fairly casual dress code, so something closer to what I already wear is what I'm going for next.

Thanks again
Matt

Reaction score
How does the burgundy bridle compare to the burgundy milled harness color wise? The bridle looks more red from the stock pics.

I saw a picture of the milled burgundy on the social page on Facebook, and it looked fairly subtle and quite light, so I'm also interested in the difference there.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah that’s basically the main appearance difference. The latigo is a little softer and more supple while the bridle is a little more stiff.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for replying so fast!

Yeah it's a little disappointing. I followed up at the 12 week mark and was told mid-May, then May came and went, and when I asked what the ETA would be they said another 8-10 weeks. It's not Bakers' fault (although it would have been nice to have been notified of the delays), and with the COVID situation over there I can understand that things might be a bit touch and go for a lot of small businesses. I'm still looking forward to getting them.

If you can find some pictures that would be awesome. The latingo is pretty tempting, but I think it may be a bit light for my style, and maybe wouldn't go as well with the kinds of clothes I tend to wear - I'm going to be mulling it over anyway. The #8 CXL coming out soon is also another tempting option. So many choices!

Another question, is it possible to get the officer boot with a toe cap and celastic toe box? I've been wearing black G.I combat boots (used to be standard issue parade boots for the Australian Army, but they stopped making them a while ago, so they are getting harder to find now) pretty much every day for almost 15 years now, and they have a structured toe. My current pair is starting to fall apart, and over here the options are pretty limited, hence falling into the PNW bootmaker rabbit hole. The jobmasters I ordered are in the black tie domaine with vibram 100 soles and double midsoles, which suit my style (I'm a bit of a goth ?), but I decided they may be a little too much to wear to work (I'm a teacher), despite the fairly casual dress code, so something closer to what I already wear is what I'm going for next.

Thanks again
Matt
Celastic is standard on all the heritage boots so should be good to go there. The MTO Officer page is here:

If you select the Wickett and Craig bridle and let me know which one you’re interested I can switch out the leather and we’ll make sure it’s configured the way you want. I will also go about adding more of the W&C options to that leather drop down, it’s getting quite extensive so had put them in the separate category.

Reaction score
Celastic is standard on all the heritage boots so should be good to go there. The MTO Officer page is here:

If you select the Wickett and Craig bridle and let me know which one you’re interested I can switch out the leather and we’ll make sure it’s configured the way you want. I will also go about adding more of the W&C options to that leather drop down, it’s getting quite extensive so had put them in the separate category.

Awesome! Thanks for your help. In a few weeks time when the tax return comes in I'll definitely be placing an order - hopefully I'll have made my mind up on what options to go with by then. In the meantime I'd be interested to see any pictures people come up with - to be honest all of the W&C leathers look fantastic, so it's not an easy choice.

TyrLI

Reaction score
Wesco is up to 24 weeks for custom

bucky0486

Reaction score
Celastic is standard on all the heritage boots so should be good to go there.

Can you provide some explanation about why the Celastic is standard on the heritage boots but when I go to MTO page for work boots the soft toe is recommended?

Right now I've got an 8" Urban Logger with the FT last and the Honey Vibram in 1964 Brown on my mind (I think that's basically the Overlander but with the Honey Vibram sole). I'm leaning toward the Celastic to maintain the toe structure over time.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can you provide some explanation about why the Celastic is standard on the heritage boots but when I go to MTO page for work boots the soft toe is recommended?

Right now I've got an 8" Urban Logger with the FT last and the Honey Vibram in 1964 Brown on my mind (I think that's basically the Overlander but with the Honey Vibram sole). I'm leaning toward the Celastic to maintain the toe structure over time.
The leather is thick enough on the work leathers that the toe structure doesn’t really matter; the 1964 is a work leather (7-8 Oz) that has characteristics of a heritage leather (pull-up, etc). It is an excellent leather we spent over a year on from a visiting and sampling standpoint. I’m happy to put in a celastic but would be surprised if it was needed.

bucky0486

Reaction score
The leather is thick enough on the work leathers that the toe structure doesn’t really matter; the 1964 is a work leather (7-8 Oz) that has characteristics of a heritage leather (pull-up, etc). It is an excellent leather we spent over a year on from a visiting and sampling standpoint. I’m happy to put in a celastic but would be surprised if it was needed.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. On the order form I didn't see anywhere to request that the logo not be imprinted on the shaft, but I saw that mentioned here. Once I've got the order in, should I just email the order number with that request to the customer service email?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. On the order form I didn't see anywhere to request that the logo not be imprinted on the shaft, but I saw that mentioned here. Once I've got the order in, should I just email the order number with that request to the customer service email?
You can just message me, I’ll take care of it!

montanamike

Reaction score
I think you need to pinky swear to post pictures when they arrive. The pictures I've seen of that leather all look super.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics