• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

TyrLI

Reaction score
A Guy posted a pic of his boots in this leather is gorgeous and wondered if they are bringing it back... apparently is not available in the options at the Nicks Site...
I looked it up, it's a type of leather, not the color:

Latigo leather is cowhide leather that is combination tanned. First it is chrome tanned, then it is vegetable tanned. Before modern combination tanning, latigo had been combination tanned with alum and gambier.

Latigo is usually infused with oils and waxes. Techniques such as hot-stuffing, wet-stuffing, and fat liquoring have been devised to increase the amount of oil and wax the hide can hold. Due to oil/wax infusion, and its partial chrome tanning, the leather is moderately flexible, less rigid than full vegetable tans, but more rigid than full chrome tans. Because of its weight and tanning process, latigo is among the most expensive cattle hide leathers.

Seems like a best of both worlds kind of thing

l33tcoder

Reaction score
Let me try my luck - any chance of having belts in the new W&C leather offerings? Would love to have one in Milled Buck Brown or Chestnut bridle leather :)

mikeczyz

Reaction score
Let me try my luck - any chance of having belts in the new W&C leather offerings? Would love to have one in Milled Buck Brown or Chestnut bridle leather :)
It's not exactly what you want, but a guy I know makes belts from W&C Buck Brown Harness. Not milled, though:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm, that is a good idea, we just have the medium brown right now. It's a different thickness than the boots so it starts to get pricey from an inventory standpoint but will look into it.

mikeczyz

Reaction score
All, we will be offering the tan latigo as an option on Monday. I'm going with that color because we know HoppyIPA's boots look great in it and we have the other colors available as non-Latigo options. Thanks everyone, appreciate it!
Nice!

TyrLI

Reaction score
i already have two pairs on order and this tan latigo is making me consider a third...
I have a pair of the 1964 rangers on order already and just received two pairs of builder pros... sigh

l33tcoder

Reaction score
Hmm, that is a good idea, we just have the medium brown right now. It's a different thickness than the boots so it starts to get pricey from an inventory standpoint but will look into it.

Ohh...I didn't realize that the leather thickness for belts is different - is it thicker than the leather used for boots?

mikeczyz

Reaction score
Yeah, we use 14 Oz for belts, though that is not common
i'm guessing leather inventory is why you don't have a 'buy a matching belt' option for all models? when I purchased my boots, I was given an option for keyclip/drink sleeve, but would have loved the opportunity to add in a W&C leather belt to match the boots.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i'm guessing leather inventory is why you don't have a 'buy a matching belt' option for all models? when I purchased my boots, I was given an option for keyclip/drink sleeve, but would have loved the opportunity to add in a W&C leather belt to match the boots.
Correct, the smaller goods can be made with the same leather but we think belts need to be thicker

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads