• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

iambretton

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of their tan-teton roughout boots? Thinking about a pair, but I am curious how they age/patina. Thanks!!

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of their tan-teton roughout boots? Thinking about a pair, but I am curious how they age/patina. Thanks!!

Here you go

1620928750250.png

montanamike

Reaction score
I did a bit of sleuthing for you... Check out their Instagram post from February 15th. There may well be more but that is another good one in addition to the picture above.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Is the chocolate smooth leather on Nick's Ranger boots lined?
Thanks

Vultain

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Thanks
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but so far all Nick's Boots I have run into are unlined within the boot and leather lined within the toebox area. I hope this helps!

Personally for comfort I much prefer a good wool sock as opposed to lining even in the winter. Canvas always breaks down let alone other material. As for waterproofing Nick's shows a video on Beeswaxing your boots(proceed at your own risk though). For most people two coats of Heavy Duty LP melted in with a hair dryer are more than sufficient for even that.

If you don't mind me asking what sort of liner were you looking for?

Phanes

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Thanks

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but so far all Nick's Boots I have run into are unlined within the boot and leather lined within the toebox area. I hope this helps!
That's right, not lined. Not only is it already thick but lining isn't that durable compared to the chocolate itself and only heats up.

WestLinn

Reaction score
Schulyer - those almost resemble some of the boots that a few of my coworkers wore in Roosevelt. I used to work down at the landfill in lovely Roosevelt WA and your boots (as well as those made near you in Spokane or over in Scappose Or) would last about 3 years (sometimes less) in those harsh conditions on the landfill. Some guys opted for the $100-$200 "catapillar" pairs from various retailers and they would make it about 6 months. I don't recall those guys referring to the wear as "patina" however. LOL. Of course I don't think that too many of those guys wore the boots on pub crawls in Goldendale, as I don't recall many pubs in that town. I do recall a guy wearing in a new pair to clock in and everyone said "well those look nice, they won't look so hot in about two days." And then followed by hearty laughter.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Schulyer - those almost resemble some of the boots that a few of my coworkers wore in Roosevelt. I used to work down at the landfill in lovely Roosevelt WA and your boots (as well as those made near you in Spokane or over in Scappose Or) would last about 3 years (sometimes less) in those harsh conditions on the landfill. Some guys opted for the $100-$200 "catapillar" pairs from various retailers and they would make it about 6 months. I don't recall those guys referring to the wear as "patina" however. LOL. Of course I don't think that too many of those guys wore the boots on pub crawls in Goldendale, as I don't recall many pubs in that town. I do recall a guy wearing in a new pair to clock in and everyone said "well those look nice, they won't look so hot in about two days." And then followed by hearty laughter.
Yeah, I think these are some fire boots in for a rebuild after 4 years, or so. Definitely have seen some tough duty! One man’s patina is another’s old boot, i hear you there!

WestLinn

Reaction score
Yeah, I think these are some fire boots in for a rebuild after 4 years, or so. Definitely have seen some tough duty! One man’s patina is another’s old boot, i hear you there!
I suspect it brings a tear of joy to your folk's eyes when they see a Nick's that has been worn for work and not a pavement pounder. It's probably satisfying to see that genuine American Craftsmanship being pushed and to see the stiches holding up and no holes where there shouldn't be any.

DG123

Reaction score
I suspect it brings a tear of joy to your folk's eyes when they see a Nick's that has been worn for work and not a pavement pounder. It's probably satisfying to see that genuine American Craftsmanship being pushed and to see the stiches holding up and no holes where there shouldn't be any.

I imagine 90% plus of Nicks-Whites-Wesco customers use the boots for work rather than fashion.

Vultain

Reaction score
I imagine 90% plus of Nicks-Whites-Wesco customers use the boots for work rather than fashion.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy something aesthetically pleasing but for me everything I buy boot wise will be exposed to my work. It's why rather than fight it you might as well accept the patina/worn look. I still enjoy a well built boot that looks nice but ultimately I am getting them for practicality and plan to put them to hard use. 10 hour + work days with 10+ miles a day.

That said I enjoy the veg tan leathers and don't mind the extra care they take compared to oil tanned.

Most of the people locally I know wearing their PNW boots are wearing them for work. With the exception of one person that I can think of.

I debated picking up a 6" boot in burgundy for those rare dress occasions, but it's hard for me to justify spending that kind of money on something I won't wear regularly. For me Nick's are boots meant to be used! But each to their own and I am just glad everyone appreciates the craftsmanship and service that companies like that give. Regardless it is nice to have something that will last years if not longer as opposed to months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads