• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Hi Niels,
My understanding is that they will collect duty from you when they deliver the package.

Since you have a reference point with the Red Wings, I would probably go with that sizing. We tend to be comparable, but we could do a fit sheet if you want some extra piece of mind.

Would you say the Nicks is ever so slightly larger than a Red Wing iron ranger/blacksmith, particularly in the width of toe box? I've seen some comparison pics of same size Nicks vs Red Wing and they are pretty much equal but the Nicks looks slightly larger (maybe bc of leather thickness, quality of materials, heel etc).

I'm asking bc there are some ready to ship Falcons in my Red Wing size and I'm very tempted to buy....if they don't fit, can I exchange/return or am I stuck with them?

montanamike

Reaction score
Would you say the Nicks is ever so slightly larger than a Red Wing iron ranger/blacksmith, particularly in the width of toe box? I've seen some comparison pics of same size Nicks vs Red Wing and they are pretty much equal but the Nicks looks slightly larger (maybe bc of leather thickness, quality of materials, heel etc).

I'm asking bc there are some ready to ship Falcons in my Red Wing size and I'm very tempted to buy....if they don't fit, can I exchange/return or am I stuck with them?
If there is a difference, it wasnt great (in my experience). Your mpg may vary wildly.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, they are fully returnable for refund/credit/exchange

Vultain

Reaction score

A lot of it depends upon the last. I can personally confirm that for me the HNW last follows Brannock exactly. I am a true 11.5D but my shafts are another matter and I am a 10E.

A lot of it depends on which Nick's last you are considering. Their classic last I am a 10.5EE. This is me getting measured by their fit expert in store. He said it is due to the way the last fits my arch and where the ball of my feet are. I slipped quite a bit in the 11D's and had hot spots on my toes almost immediately. Where I did not in the 10.5EE although it is a firm hand shake which you want. Hence why Nick's sends you a try on pair. So there are definitely some variance depending which of the lasts you go for.

I recommend measuring and following their fit sheet.

Last edited:

TyrLI

Reaction score
Hi Shuyler, are you guys super backed up right now? I ordered stock boots and they're way over the advertised lead time now... second set of stock boots, the six weeks would be up this Friday but I haven't gotten a production notification. Did the W&C release back you guys up?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Shuyler, are you guys super backed up right now? I ordered stock boots and they're way over the advertised lead time now... second set of stock boots, the six weeks would be up this Friday but I haven't gotten a production notification. Did the W&C release back you guys up?
It's been a combination of things, definitely busier and we've had issues with delays on leather shipments. We are actually working through those that are looking at delays and offering 10% off for the trouble, do you mind sending me your order ID and I can process that and get it moving?

mikeczyz

Reaction score
Anyone here looking at Nick's for a patina monster for the Stitchdown contest?

montanamike

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if another pair would match the comfort of my 13ish y/o Rangers. I think these have finally moved in to a tie.

5" chocolate work leather Charley. A couple light applications of Skidmores and hundreds of miles.

Attachments

• Nickschoc.jpg
    Nickschoc.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new in here, this is my first post /review.
I purchased a pair of Nicks boots Robert back in August 2020 on Nicksboots website, with Wickett & Craig veg tan leather, because i am located in Australia, can't really went through the "try on" process. So, i ordered my usual USA made/heritage boot size 8E, half size smaller than my Brannock devices 8.5E. (my White's smokejumper in 8E and Red Wing iron ranger in 8D, it all fit me perfect.)
I received the boot super fast :)
At first, the boot looks amazing, the Wickett & Craig veg tan leather has so much depth of colour and character !
As i started to wearing them, there are few issues emerged;
First one is a nail that was poking through the heel, kind of scratch my foot a bit, since then, i have contacted Nicks Boot Customer service, they were very helpful and they suggested a solution by using a nail clippers to sort of polish off the nail ? i attempted to do that, but afraid of damaging the leather surrounding it, so, just lightly made the nail less sharp and glued a small pieces of leather on it , so it would not scratch my foot in the future, it fixed , sort of. since then, i realised, amount of nails that used in the Nicks boots is in huge amount, so, it was considered a "normal" i guess.
Second issues, is more complicated, that i am still trying to battle through it, after about two weeks of wearing, i started to notice that the left pair and right pair were built in different width, something very odd to me, because i did NOT specially request for this, i just bought the normal made to order 8E. the right pair looks Wider than left, it caused my right foot have lots of pain, it seems the weight of my body is all on the forefoot or the ball of the foot on the right pair, the arch just wasn't in the right place, my right foot just doesn't securely fit, the left pair feel is ok. I know , people saying that at least 100 plus hours to breaking in Nicks boots, but, it's been 9 months now, the problem seems not getting better.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated ?
Third, I thought the Wickett & Craig veg tan leather that featured on Nicks boots is supposed be about 6.5 oz, however, on the left pair of the boot, leather used one side of the shaft is more feels like 3 oz, feels even thinner than the leather on my red wing boot, very thin and has very unattractive crease, "loose grain " , suggested it the leather from the inferior belly of the hide, it offers very little ankle support.....
The leather on right pair feels like 6.5 oz, has tight and smooth grain, it suggested it cut from 'Back of the hide' , as it should be.

In summary, i always has great hope and heard great things about Nicks boots, but the experiences i had based on this specific pair is not so great so far, maybe i am just had extremely bad luck. The issues i faced with this boot, i just never had to deal with compare with other boots, such as Red Wing and White's boots. but, i still love this Wickett & Craig veg tan leather, its amazing.
Thanks for reading.

Nicks Boots reached out to me and offered great helps, assistance with my concerns and offered the replacement of the boots, shows great professional manners and respect to the overseas customer. I hope this second chances of the experience the Nicks Boots will be good :)

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpg
    IMG_5389.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new in here, this is my first post /review.
I purchased a pair of Nicks boots Robert back in August 2020 on Nicksboots website, with Wickett & Craig veg tan leather, because i am located in Australia, can't really went through the "try on" process. So, i ordered my usual USA made/heritage boot size 8E, half size smaller than my Brannock devices 8.5E. (my White's smokejumper in 8E and Red Wing iron ranger in 8D, it all fit me perfect.)
I received the boot super fast :)
At first, the boot looks amazing, the Wickett & Craig veg tan leather has so much depth of colour and character !
As i started to wearing them, there are few issues emerged;
First one is a nail that was poking through the heel, kind of scratch my foot a bit, since then, i have contacted Nicks Boot Customer service, they were very helpful and they suggested a solution by using a nail clippers to sort of polish off the nail ? i attempted to do that, but afraid of damaging the leather surrounding it, so, just lightly made the nail less sharp and glued a small pieces of leather on it , so it would not scratch my foot in the future, it fixed , sort of. since then, i realised, amount of nails that used in the Nicks boots is in huge amount, so, it was considered a "normal" i guess.
Second issues, is more complicated, that i am still trying to battle through it, after about two weeks of wearing, i started to notice that the left pair and right pair were built in different width, something very odd to me, because i did NOT specially request for this, i just bought the normal made to order 8E. the right pair looks Wider than left, it caused my right foot have lots of pain, it seems the weight of my body is all on the forefoot or the ball of the foot on the right pair, the arch just wasn't in the right place, my right foot just doesn't securely fit, the left pair feel is ok. I know , people saying that at least 100 plus hours to breaking in Nicks boots, but, it's been 9 months now, the problem seems not getting better.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated ?
Third, I thought the Wickett & Craig veg tan leather that featured on Nicks boots is supposed be about 6.5 oz, however, on the left pair of the boot, leather used one side of the shaft is more feels like 3 oz, feels even thinner than the leather on my red wing boot, very thin and has very unattractive crease, "loose grain " , suggested it the leather from the inferior belly of the hide, it offers very little ankle support.....
The leather on right pair feels like 6.5 oz, has tight and smooth grain, it suggested it cut from 'Back of the hide' , as it should be.

In summary, i always has great hope and heard great things about Nicks boots, but the experiences i had based on this specific pair is not so great so far, maybe i am just had extremely bad luck. The issues i faced with this boot, i just never had to deal with compare with other boots, such as Red Wing and White's boots. but, i still love this Wickett & Craig veg tan leather, its amazing.
Thanks for reading.
Hi, I am really sorry to hear about this. The nail issue is not unheard of, though I am surprised to hear about the different widths and the poor leather selection. That’s not normally how we do things. Can you DM me your order number and we can get you a return label? We will replace these, this is not normal.

Shuyler

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads