• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

hiimneato

Reaction score
Holy heck that roughout predator is a sight.

Do you have much out there yet in the tan W&C? I'm curious, especially to see how it compares to andy b.'s natural packers.

Oh also hi, I stopped lurking and joined SF mostly because the builds in this thread made me so curious I couldn't keep my mouth shut any more. You're facilitating some amazing stuff here, Shuyler.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Holy heck that roughout predator is a sight.

Do you have much out there yet in the tan W&C? I'm curious, especially to see how it compares to andy b.'s natural packers.

Oh also hi, I stopped lurking and joined SF mostly because the builds in this thread made me so curious I couldn't keep my mouth shut any more. You're facilitating some amazing stuff here, Shuyler.
Thanks man, appreciate the nice words. No tan yet but I’ll definitely post some when they come through.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Is it just me, or has there been somewhat a shift in the marketing of the thicker sole option?

I feel like when I first started eyeing Nicks 3-4 years back, the general take was that the thicker sole was the flagship, can’t-go-wrong option, but you can get away with the stitched sole (the Contender, as I recall:)) if you’re considerably lighter or really like extra flex. Now I’m seeing more of the stitched soles in the mainstream, with the non-stitched option being more of a “eh, maybe if you’re really big or just want over-the-top support” kinda thing.

Not a diss, just an observation... maybe something to do with the increasing popularity as a fashion/heritage brand vs purely work?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is it just me, or has there been somewhat a shift in the marketing of the thicker sole option?

I feel like when I first started eyeing Nicks 3-4 years back, the general take was that the thicker sole was the flagship, can’t-go-wrong option, but you can get away with the stitched sole (the Contender, as I recall:)) if you’re considerably lighter or really like extra flex. Now I’m seeing more of the stitched soles in the mainstream, with the non-stitched option being more of a “eh, maybe if you’re really big or just want over-the-top support” kinda thing.

Not a diss, just an observation... maybe something to do with the increasing popularity as a fashion/heritage brand vs purely work?
Definitely NOT a change in the focus, we are still a work boot brand foremost that happens to make heritage boots in the same way. I think it's more that as we've gotten more customers we've gotten more feedback from them, and are starting to reach customers who appreciate the durability and craftsmanship but may not necessarily be on a fire line for 6 months out of the year. So, we are just really trying to be clear on expectations as we have more people buying the boots who aren't wildland firefighters who may not need a thicker sole, but definitely still make plenty of them. At the end of the day, we just want customers to be happy and feel like being as upfront as possible is a good way to help that happen. As always, would love feedback on our approaches and your own experiences as we continue to try and improve!

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Definitely NOT a change in the focus, we are still a work boot brand foremost that happens to make heritage boots in the same way. I think it's more that as we've gotten more customers we've gotten more feedback from them, and are starting to reach customers who appreciate the durability and craftsmanship but may not necessarily be on a fire line for 6 months out of the year. So, we are just really trying to be clear on expectations as we have more people buying the boots who aren't wildland firefighters who may not need a thicker sole, but definitely still make plenty of them. At the end of the day, we just want customers to be happy and feel like being as upfront as possible is a good way to help that happen. As always, would love feedback on our approaches and your own experiences as we continue to try and improve!

Gotcha – I was just curious. Love the approach... I mean, the fact you're here sharing this and entertaining all our personal requests speaks for itself.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Aaaand I just got the email about the new 1964 brown... and there goes my illusion of satisfaction with my current Nicks collection before my latest pair even went into production ?

Man, it's stunning! What's the scoop on it tanning-wise? Not that I'm a exactly a connoisseur. What caught my eye is that it has a wax option on the side like the veg offerings.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Aaaand I just got the email about the new 1964 brown... and there goes my illusion of satisfaction with my current Nicks collection before my latest pair even went into production ?

Man, it's stunning! What's the scoop on it tanning-wise? Not that I'm a exactly a connoisseur. What caught my eye is that it has a wax option on the side like the veg offerings.
Thank you!

It's tanned with oils when it's actually in the tanning solution. Basically, from the start this leather is preconditioned.

Then, they later melt waxes and oils into it to further condition it.

These waxes and oils go all the way through the leather where as when you condition leather it normally stays toward the top or outer surface.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Thank you!

It's tanned with oils when it's actually in the tanning solution. Basically, from the start this leather is preconditioned.

Then, they later melt waxes and oils into it to further condition it.

These waxes and oils go all the way through the leather where as when you condition leather it normally stays toward the top or outer surface.

Very cool! Does that give it any noticeable pull-up?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to post some pics of the new 1964 Brown. It's one of our most versatile leathers and looks great as both a work and casual boot leather. @montanamike I thought of you when we were putting this together given your penchant for using work leathers in casual boots.

Thanks again for all your interest in and questions about our boots!

1964BPFTSoftToe.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

DSCF1028.jpg

DSCF2095.jpg

montanamike

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to post some pics of the new 1964 Brown. It's one of our most versatile leathers and looks great as both a work and casual boot leather. @montanamike I thought of you when we were putting this together given your penchant for using work leathers in casual boots.

View attachment 1596243

View attachment 1596242
View attachment 1596245
View attachment 1596246
View attachment 1596244
Hopefully I can get over in the next few months and see them in person. I do like the work leathers as they are so practical for my day to day when I never know what I will be getting into! The fact they age so well is the cherry on the sundae.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score

View attachment 1596243

View attachment 1596242
View attachment 1596245
View attachment 1596246
View attachment 1596244

The pic on the bottom... is that one of the new test pairs after being put through its paces, or one of the relics you dug up for for R&D on the leather?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads