• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

forestradio

Reaction score
Got my Urban Loggers in the order queue, but really struggling between the predator orange and natural waxed flesh leather options. Can anyone provide insight or advice on which color to select? I'm not using these boots for anything in particular, so leather durability isn't an issue. I'm selecting the leather purely on aesthetics, and right now I like both pretty equally. Thanks.
I've had my natural WF Roberts for about a year now. It's an extremely tough leather. After the wax wears off, you can simply re-wax it with venetian shoe cream (per Nick Horween) to get the waxed properties back onto the leather. I've done it 2x and it turns a slight shade darker every time. I love waxed flesh and am getting brown WF next. I do like how predator orange ages though.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
So I just took my Hotshots on an extremely steep 3-mile, 50lb ruck hike, and I executively decided I’ll never wear “normal” hiking boots again. Arch and ankle support for days, y’all. Traction, stability, there’s just no comparison.

Full disclosure - I’m not a firefighter; I do maintenance with odd construction/demo on the side, but I found it convenient that the Hotshots are cheaper than a Builder Pro with the fire resistant options. But it felt like I did them justice by putting them through their paces in the environment they’re literally built for.

CA14A3F1-4451-450F-BC6C-1523F3C7ADBC.jpeg

Phanes

Reaction score
Ahoi.
Well what have we here. Since the customs were a little bit suspicious I had to pick it up at the local custom station. Good the lady was quite impressed and was fair with the calculation in the end, everything went smooth and professional.

So the wait is over.
PXL_20210118_133205069.jpg
Builder pro chocolate, natural edge and clastic toe.
Wore them in the first days during our first snow in a decade. Pleasantly surprised by the little squish the v100 sole adds, very comfortable. The celastic toe is unrecognizable, no downside. Break in time non existent because the leather is great and somehow I fit in nicks boots like a glove. No rubbing or pressure points.

The difference from 55 to 67 last isn't that much. Ares approved!
10inch vs 8 inch
PXL_20210118_133548963.jpg
This is now my hight, I kinda have to sell some 6 inch boots.

Them noses:
Nr 4 toe looks great and gives toe wiggle room even with celastic.
PXL_20210118_133405848.jpg

And I really like the leather, rough out is excellent and can be made into something like waxed flesh with the smiths balm, considering it still. The leather is 8oz but still soft. It lacks a depth of color of some dress leathers but it also gives a confidence, being very resistant, and the combination with rough out ads an element of constant change.

PXL_20210118_133230369.jpg

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Ahoi.
Well what have we here. Since the customs were a little bit suspicious I had to pick it up at the local custom station. Good the lady was quite impressed and was fair with the calculation in the end, everything went smooth and professional.

So the wait is over.
View attachment 1537944
Builder pro chocolate, natural edge and clastic toe.
Wore them in the first days during our first snow in a decade. Pleasantly surprised by the little squish the v100 sole adds, very comfortable. The celastic toe is unrecognizable, no downside. Break in time non existent because the leather is great and somehow I fit in nicks boots like a glove. No rubbing or pressure points.

The difference from 55 to 67 last isn't that much. Ares approved!
10inch vs 8 inch
View attachment 1537945
This is now my hight, I kinda have to sell some 6 inch boots.

Them noses:
Nr 4 toe looks great and gives toe wiggle room even with celastic.
View attachment 1537948

And I really like the leather, rough out is excellent and can be made into something like waxed flesh with the smiths balm, considering it still. The leather is 8oz but still soft. It lacks a depth of color of some dress leathers but it also gives a confidence, being very resistant, and the combination with rough out ads an element of constant change.

View attachment 1537952

Very, very nice! The natural edge goes great with the chocolate.

Phanes

Reaction score
Thank you, guys. Yep looks really good. And will only get better with use like we see in Cycling Sasquatch case.

Fun fact for those who never had one of those in hands, they are not only skin and two handful iron nails, but all together one boot is 1.5kg heavy. 100g more, compared to my Roberts.
Nearly double the mass of a Iron Ranger (840g).

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Random thought... what's the most durable/water resistant of the casual leathers? I'm guessing waxed flesh, maybe predator?

Been thinking when I get my Hotshots resoled, I'd go with the thicker, non-stitched sole stack, and get a pair of Urban Loggers as a lighter weight lug-sole option for general hiking and adventure purposes.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Random thought... what's the most durable/water resistant of the casual leathers? I'm guessing waxed flesh, maybe predator?

Been thinking when I get my Hotshots resoled, I'd go with the thicker, non-stitched sole stack, and get a pair of Urban Loggers as a lighter weight lug-sole option for general hiking and adventure purposes.
Curious if others have any other perspectives on this, but any of the CXL's should be most heavily impregnated with waxes throughout the leather which should help with water-resistance. I don't know if I would decide based on this, they're all going to be pretty tough and in a 6-7 oz weight for durability's sake.

Here's a review on some waxed flesh UL's after heavy use with good pics:

montanamike

Reaction score
Curious if others have any other perspectives on this, but any of the CXL's should be most heavily impregnated with waxes throughout the leather which should help with water-resistance. I don't know if I would decide based on this, they're all going to be pretty tough and in a 6-7 oz weight for durability's sake.

Here's a review on some waxed flesh UL's after heavy use with good pics:

I dont suppose many have the breadth of experience to comment adequately but my experience with waxed flesh has been good (with the caveat of it being maintained regularly). My Domaine pair is also quite good. The work leathers can get there but it seems to me that they run the opposite in so far as they dont start water resistant but can get good over time with applications of Obenaufs. This too must be maintained. So, my take on my limited experience is that waxed flesh is really good and can remain that way if maintained semi regularly... domaine (similar to CXL) is good and seems to have longer staying power and the work leathers start no so good but it can be developed.

I dont have any direct experience with CXL or the predator orange but... I sure like the look of the predator orange.

Phanes

Reaction score
Chromexel should definitely be considered. There is mucho wax in it but the surface of the leather isn't ''open'' like rough out/waxed or oily like predator. I could be wrong but predator looks from far similar to cooper rough and tough, and crt is good in wet conditions, better then veg tan, but it wouldn't be my nr. one pick, gets soaked after a while if not oiled properly.
I don't think that mini lug will really shine in gravel terrain of a good hike. Like v100 isn't great on smooth surfaces. The profile need to mirror the surface. Weight difference not that much so maybe a secondary goal.

On my next hike I will take the builder pro.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Definitely sounds like I oughta consider the CXL options then.

@montanamike Glad I’m not the only one who found that the oil-tanned work leathers seem to start out less water resistant than the casual stuff.

andy b.

Reaction score
I've been busy here at work and haven't been online much, but a special package arrived about an hour ago. ;)
Thank you VERY much, Shuyler!!! They are even more beautiful in person than photos can show. And EXACTLY what I was looking for. It's like you reached inside my mind to create them. LOL
Everything is perfect. The color is the exact color I was looking for and the 6-7oz is the perfect weight. I have a pair of Hotshots in Tan Teton and I thought those took a while to break in. These Packers are going to take weeks!

I originally joked with Shuyler that I wanted him to find some 10oz to use and he explained to me why this would be an unwise decision. Now I understand his concern. LOL

And thanks for the extended tongues. LOL I think the top will end up getting trimmed about 1" once they break in and I see where the length ends up. I know you guys think I'm weird.

The fit is perfect. For anyone thinking of going with the #1 pointed toe, I just want to stress you should try that toe style on before committing to a size. I have boots with that toe style and am familiar with how they fit. In normal Nicks I take a 9.5D. In the pointed toe I take a 10C, a half size longer and one width narrower.

The belt in the photo is about 8 years old and is just a plain Tandy Leather veg tan belt blank. It started out the same color as the boots. The photo really doesn't capture the depth of color, and I'm hoping the boots age just as well.

Thank you again Shuyler, and I'll post more pics as they age!

20210125_203352.jpg

Phanes

Reaction score
Wow great color. Which leather is it? Nice waxy shine. The double leather sole looks great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads