• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered Nicks boots from the UK?

I have just discovered these and am very impressed, I would definitely consider a pair in the future but obviously ordering from the UK will be more difficult than US buyers.

Phanes

Reaction score
Not from uk but near it. There are some downsides. First you have to place an order, with 'try on process' to get the size fit sheet, takes a couple of weeks to get the envelope. You pick the 'try on process' but skip it because shipping is..well, it takes time and money. Also you are in a bad spot concerning the return policy, because of shipping costs. Nick's is really trying to make up for the downsides but it can be quite stressful and you carry the most of the risk. But there are some options in the stock boot section which are easier to restock if you can't find your sizing on the first try. Also their sizing service really, really good so the fit sheet procedure has a high probability of fitting just right.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not from uk but near it. There are some downsides. First you have to place an order, with 'try on process' to get the size fit sheet, takes a couple of weeks to get the envelope. You pick the 'try on process' but skip it because shipping is..well, it takes time and money. Also you are in a bad spot concerning the return policy, because of shipping costs. Nick's is really trying to make up for the downsides but it can be quite stressful and you carry the most of the risk. But there are some options in the stock boot section which are easier to restock if you can't find your sizing on the first try. Also their sizing service really, really good so the fit sheet procedure has a high probability of fitting just right.

Getting the perfect fit is going to be difficult I suppose in comparison with domestic orders where the option of trial fit pairs is possible etc.

I suppose I should be able to narrow fit down reasonably well using fit sheet and possibly comparing to footwear that I already own.

Phanes

Reaction score
Yep, when I ordered the first time I thought I could do some research find something, but the recommendations had a big spread, too much to spend that money on an educated guess for my taste.
There was one guy that stood out on reddit because he worked in a shoe store for 5 years that had all different pwn and goodyearwelt shoes and he had all the experience necessary.
Last time I heard of him I think nicks tracked him down, hired him and he is now the lead fitter. So yeah, I'm sure you can find something nice, good luck.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, when I ordered the first time I thought I could do some research find something, but the recommendations had a big spread, too much to spend that money on an educated guess for my taste.
There was one guy that stood out on reddit because he worked in a shoe store for 5 years that had all different pwn and goodyearwelt shoes and he had all the experience necessary.
Last time I heard of him I think nicks tracked him down, hired him and he is now the lead fitter. So yeah, I'm sure you can find something nice, good luck.
I would highly recommend a stock option and could send you a fit kit via email so we can get an actual size. The stock sizes are fully refundable/exchangeable and there are some great options. Honestly, I think that's a great way to go for anyone new to our brand and then once we have your size on file you can go nuts with the custom options route with full confidence.

grzzi

Reaction score
Hi Shuyler,

do you ship to EU (Croatia) any idea of the shipping cost, and can you mail me fit kit?

I am considering the traveler, and am US11D in various RW boots.

the blacked out one on the website is black CXL? 6-7 oz is roughly 25 - 26mm leather thickness? So its on par with most RW leathers ( those are what is familiar to me )? Might want something more robust / thicker...

So nice to see this kind of brand support here, reminds of Iron Heart Denim...

Phanes

Reaction score
I have redwings crt and oro legacy, both are thinner. The brown chromexel is also a bit more resilient to water and creases less.

grzzi

Reaction score
which one is crt? oro legacy is the thinnest of their leathers that I own and prob most supple and soft. I own only one pair of mocs in oro legacy, and that one is considerably thinner and thus roomier than other 7 or 8 pairs of mocs I wear. Most of those I own ( hawthorn, abilene, black harness, skagway, various roughouts; olive mohave, sage mohave etc ) are around 25 mm. I guess that varies from hide to hide so other experiences might be a little different.

someone told me that leather on his travelers feel thicker. Since most of the people dont really measure the thicknessthat that might be due to the other properties of the leather ( softness ). Thickness is nota priority, just might want to have experience with something more robust, as I never had issues with break in in RW, whatsoever...

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Shuyler,

do you ship to EU (Croatia) any idea of the shipping cost, and can you mail me fit kit?

I am considering the traveler, and am US11D in various RW boots.

the blacked out one on the website is black CXL? 6-7 oz is roughly 25 - 26mm leather thickness? So its on par with most RW leathers ( those are what is familiar to me )? Might want something more robust / thicker...

So nice to see this kind of brand support here, reminds of Iron Heart Denim...
Hi, yes we do, shipping will be around $70-$80. It is a 6-7 Oz CXL. We could do a work leather in black that would be 8 Oz but is struck through so will have a little different look over time. The 7 Oz is around 2.6 -2.8 mm thick, 8 Oz is around 3.2 mm. Most heritage leather boots in our price range and below are 5-6 Oz so I would not be surprised if ours feels thicker.

Feel free to place the order and we will email you the fit kit, or you can DM me your email and I can send it. Only reason I would encourage you to place the order and then get the fit kit is you will be in our system and go through the process normally so email notifications, etc will be sent regularly.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
I feel dumb asking this, but reckon now's the time to do it... are the uppers on my Hotshots kinda on the close side, to the point it'd be worth considering making an adjustment on my current order? Over half a year now and I swear they just keep closing in, lol.

I know these are already downsized a bit (10E upper on 11EE boot) after my first pair of MTO BuilderPros started almost touching once fully broken in.

IMG_7358.jpeg

Phalanx

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered Nicks boots from the UK?

I have just discovered these and am very impressed, I would definitely consider a pair in the future but obviously ordering from the UK will be more difficult than US buyers.

I can tell you about my experience ordering Whites boots from Bakershoe.com (which I imagine is roughly similar) but the bottom line is, be prepared to spend about £40-100 on shipping fees.

I asked for a try on pair and paid about $60 to get it shipped to the UK, then ~£40 to send it back (and then proceeded to put my order in).

So hopefully that sets a ballpark figure on what you can expect with Nick's; I'm sure Covid-19 exacerbates things somewhat. Might be worth contacting Jamie @ https://eastwestapparel.co.uk/ (mainly deals with White's) because he's very experienced at being a middleman for these sorts of things; (edit) I'm sure he can give some pointers on if you wish to order from Nick's.

Sometimes I feel like we need some of the PNW bootmakers to defect to the EU just so we can get a slice of the action too, but then Americans are probably jealous of our peppy heritage shoemakers.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I can tell you about my experience ordering Whites boots from Bakershoe.com (which I imagine is roughly similar) but the bottom line is, be prepared to spend about £40-100 on shipping fees.

I asked for a try on pair and paid about $60 to get it shipped to the UK, then ~£40 to send it back (and then proceeded to put my order in).

So hopefully that sets a ballpark figure on what you can expect with Nick's; I'm sure Covid-19 exacerbates things somewhat. Might be worth contacting Jamie @ https://eastwestapparel.co.uk/ (mainly deals with White's) because he's very experienced at being a middleman for these sorts of things.

Sometimes I feel like we need some of the PNW bootmakers to defect to the EU just so we can get a slice of the action too, but then Americans are probably jealous of our peppy heritage shoemakers.
Just to avoid any confusion, we don’t have any dealers in the UK but do ship orders there regularly.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I feel dumb asking this, but reckon now's the time to do it... are the uppers on my Hotshots kinda on the close side, to the point it'd be worth considering making an adjustment on my current order? Over half a year now and I swear they just keep closing in, lol.

I know these are already downsized a bit (10E upper on 11EE boot) after my first pair of MTO BuilderPros started almost touching once fully broken in.

View attachment 1512183
I would say those are within tolerance but could see going down a size on your next order to get a little more spacing. For what it's worth, I have big ankles and am kind of jealous of how clean and consistent yours look compared to mine.

montanamike

Reaction score
I would say those are within tolerance but could see going down a size on your next order to get a little more spacing. For what it's worth, I have big ankles and am kind of jealous of how clean and consistent yours look compared to mine.
Good point.. That is what I noticed first. Really consistent top to bottom which I think is a hallmark of a decent fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics