• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Phanes

Reaction score
I agree... I also feel like walnut is underappreciated.. The work leathers are pretty easy to live with also.
Yep they age beautifully and take a lot of abuse. I hope I like the ro chocolate builderpro, best time of the year for them right now with all the rain and mud.

miggyramone

Reaction score
How does Predator Orange crease compared to CXL? My brown CXL Manito's barely have any creasing along the vamp. By far the tightest CXL I've ever owned.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How does Predator Orange crease compared to CXL? My brown CXL Manito's barely have any creasing along the vamp. By far the tightest CXL I've ever owned.
It's a pretty similar tannage and I haven't noticed any difference in performance in that respect. We would be similarly choosy with clicking for vamp pieces on Predator, so I would not expect it to be much different, if at all.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Was there a reason Nicks changed from a stamp to an inside tag? Can a stamp be added instead of the tag for preference?
We'd gotten some feedback that some people didn't want the stamp, especially on the dress boots. The stamp is still on the work boots. We could do the stamp on boots if one requests them.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler how would you compare the black chromexcel to the tobacco leather on the Travelers? Keep going back and forth on those.
Durability will be the same, but the black chrome excel looks more refined, and is probably 'nicer' in that it is what we would call a dress leather while the Tobacco has more in common with our work leathers. The Tobacco definitely has a approachable look.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Durability will be the same, but the black chrome excel looks more refined, and is probably 'nicer' in that it is what we would call a dress leather while the Tobacco has more in common with our work leathers. The Tobacco definitely has a approachable look.
Is the Tobacco dyed through?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler how would you compare the black chromexcel to the tobacco leather on the Travelers? Keep going back and forth on those.
Now that I think about it, I feel like I may not have answered your question.

Did you have anything specific you were curious about?

Tobacco was literally our first non-work leather (not Black, Chocolate, Walnut) that we sourced from Seidel and it is a nice leather. It was originally intended to only be on our Traveler and has gotten to a kind of matte finish over the years that I, frankly, don't love as much as the original aesthetically, but the new one is a more durable and longer-lasting leather. It's kind of buttery right now, which still looks great, but I would get predator orange if I was looking for that hue because it's more interesting.

Black is a CXL from Horween and is what you'd expect from them, tight grain, great finish, super durable, etc. It is arguably the best black boot leather one can buy on the market. It is also highly prevalent.

If you're looking for a really buttoned-up leather, you can't go wrong with black CXL. If you want something more outside the range of what you can get elsewhere, I'm not aware of a ton of other bootmakers making significant quantities in Predator Orange and pretty sure there's none in the Tobacco.

If it was me, I'd get the black if I wanted black. Otherwise I'd get Predator Orange or Tobacco if I wanted something unique. I'd also consider the British Tan because that is beautiful.

js0930

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I feel like I may not have answered your question.

Did you have anything specific you were curious about?

Tobacco was literally our first non-work leather (not Black, Chocolate, Walnut) that we sourced from Seidel and it is a nice leather. It was originally intended to only be on our Traveler and has gotten to a kind of matte finish over the years that I, frankly, don't love as much as the original aesthetically, but the new one is a more durable and longer-lasting leather. It's kind of buttery right now, which still looks great, but I would get predator orange if I was looking for that hue because it's more interesting.

Black is a CXL from Horween and is what you'd expect from them, tight grain, great finish, super durable, etc. It is arguably the best black boot leather one can buy on the market. It is also highly prevalent.

If you're looking for a really buttoned-up leather, you can't go wrong with black CXL. If you want something more outside the range of what you can get elsewhere, I'm not aware of a ton of other bootmakers making significant quantities in Predator Orange and pretty sure there's none in the Tobacco.

If it was me, I'd get the black if I wanted black. Otherwise I'd get Predator Orange or Tobacco if I wanted something unique. I'd also consider the British Tan because that is beautiful.

No, this is really helpful. I’m coming from a pair of 6 year old Red Wing moc toes in their Rough and Tough that are finally shot and just debating whether to stay more similar (tobacco/predator) or go in a totally different direction (blacked out chromexcel or maybe even a roughout).

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
Shuyler,
Do you have any photos of a black officer boot with black edge dressing and cap toe? Also, do you or can you offer it with a Vibram 100 lug sole? Thanks . PS. And which black leather option would take the most shine on the cap toe? Would need a black leather that would be black underneath when scuffed, not brown. Would be for my position with the police department.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads