• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

montanamike

Reaction score
Yeah. I don't know if we've always done the best job factoring in leather costs in the past and are trying to get better at it. For example, the Wickett & Craig veg tan is not a ton more than a Chromexcel on a per square foot basis, but has a lot less usable material per side, so in reality, is quite a bit more expensive to use. I'll do the math on what it might take for a horsehide and see what you guys think when we get through the British Tan rotator. I'll make the test horsehide boots available for purchase if you guys want them, provided we already have your sizes on file.

As an aside, the British Tan is beautiful and you should all buy some. My first new personal boots in 2 years are going to be British Tan Urban Loggers, it is a beautiful leather, especially if you're looking for something a little different. It's not as 'normal' as a Walnut/Brown CXL but more serious than a Predator/Tobacco.
The first part is why I follow this so closely. As an operations guy at heart, I love seeing the onion peeled back just a bit to understand how the parts play together. Thank you for that.

I imagine the number of people wanting horsehide is a pretty small subset. It was mentioned more than a couple times in the Reddit thread though. For me, I would go for a pair in burgundy or possibly brown.

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
Bakers is a 110-140 upcharge for horsehide as a point of reference. I don't know the production implications of horsehide vs bovine but off hand, it seems pretty reasonable
I’d be curious as to what Shuyler comes up with for an up charge. Have a MTO Robert on order in but would consider paying the extra to change the order to horsehide.
Found this on the internet that Nicks considered making a couple years ago in horsehide. A handsome boot. A Robert like that would be awesome.

Attachments

• 1CD6FD61-E701-463C-9CC2-9B3FF01F6360.jpeg
    1CD6FD61-E701-463C-9CC2-9B3FF01F6360.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 0637B880-FD7A-41EC-8A77-3BF858EDFAC0.jpeg
    0637B880-FD7A-41EC-8A77-3BF858EDFAC0.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 232

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Wickett & Craig vs the British Tan leather? I ordered a pair of Americanas in W&C but am also drawn to the British Tan CXL. Is there any difference in durability/care between the two types of leather?
The w&c is definitely more unique and is a limited run, at least in this color. It is beautiful. The British Tan is also great looking. Chrome-tanned leather is generally more forgiving and easier to maintain than veg tanned. With that said, our prototype veg tan boot is about a year old, has been worn nearly daily and still looks awesome.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The first part is why I follow this so closely. As an operations guy at heart, I love seeing the onion peeled back just a bit to understand how the parts play together. Thank you for that.

I imagine the number of people wanting horsehide is a pretty small subset. It was mentioned more than a couple times in the Reddit thread though. For me, I would go for a pair in burgundy or possibly brown.
Yeah, this is an interesting business, for sure. In a similar vein, Horween’s chromexcel’s are about 50% more expensive than our work leathers, but because they are so consistently high quality the yield is higher so it’s not as much of a price difference as one might think. The time and discernment that goes into clicking, selecting the portions of the hide that will go into the boot, really differentiates pricing tiers in this market. I’m always amazed at how much variability there is in a hide. Brands like ourselves have a person doing it, which is inefficient compared to like a Danner, who uses laser cutters, but laser cutters don’t care if the grain is loose or if there’s a scar.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Has anyone on here had the dilemma of what arch to choose?

I just received my builder pro medium arch (55 last) try on pair and that arch is extreme.

Did any of you get used to it over time? Or should I consider the HNW moderate arch last? (I've heard it has no arch though unfortunately)

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
Has anyone on here had the dilemma of what arch to choose?

I just received my builder pro medium arch (55 last) try on pair and that arch is extreme.

Did any of you get used to it over time? Or should I consider the HNW moderate arch last? (I've heard it has no arch though unfortunately)
I’m not sure I’m totally sold on the 55 arch I ordered in the Robert but I think that is the only arch for it? I want an arch , but maybe not that much arch. I’ve been told that with time it will mold well to my feet. Hoping so. I’ve never even come close to spending this kind of money on boots before. But extremely excited about it.

Phanes

Reaction score
Well, the bad news is: you won't notice it on a try on process since it takes time. But the good news: there is no way the arch won't take the shape of the foot or your muscles and tendons won't adapt, that is just a normal training process. If it suits you depends on individual matters but there is a good chance you might not notice the arch after the break in...until you go back to your old boots.

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
Well, the bad news is: you won't notice it on a try on process since it takes time. But the good news: there is no way the arch won't take the shape of the foot or your muscles and tendons won't adapt, that is just a normal training process. If it suits you depends on individual matters but there is a good chance you might not notice the arch after the break in...until you go back to your old boots.
Excellent !

andy b.

Reaction score
I agree with what others have said regarding getting used to the arch. I have a pair of Hotshots, and I don't even notice the arch. Until I wear something with little arch support and realize why I like Nicks and some of the other regional manufacturers' boots with the high arches. Plus, the all leather arch definitely molds to your individual foot.

Bigtophat

Reaction score
Yeah. I don't know if we've always done the best job factoring in leather costs in the past and are trying to get better at it. For example, the Wickett & Craig veg tan is not a ton more than a Chromexcel on a per square foot basis, but has a lot less usable material per side, so in reality, is quite a bit more expensive to use. I'll do the math on what it might take for a horsehide and see what you guys think when we get through the British Tan rotator. I'll make the test horsehide boots available for purchase if you guys want them, provided we already have your sizes on file.

As an aside, the British Tan is beautiful and you should all buy some. My first new personal boots in 2 years are going to be British Tan Urban Loggers, it is a beautiful leather, especially if you're looking for something a little different. It's not as 'normal' as a Walnut/Brown CXL but more serious than a Predator/Tobacco.
Do you have any urban logger pictures you can share with us with the honey lug sole with a darker leather? Chocolate or walnut. Smooth or rough out. It’s hard to visualize the makeup and I have been on the fence about a pair for a while now.
Thanks

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have any urban logger pictures you can share with us with the honey lug sole with a darker leather? Chocolate or walnut. Smooth or rough out. It’s hard to visualize the makeup and I have been on the fence about a pair for a while now.
Thanks
Hi,

I do not have an exact match but I have an 8" BuilderPro in that makeup. The Urban Logger is virtually identical to the Builderpro with the only difference in that it is offered in the dress leathers. Like if you ordered this makeup in the Urban Logger the only difference from the picture would be a different kilty with a smooth bottom to it.

Walnut BP 8 inch.jpg

Phanes

Reaction score
It’s hard to visualize the makeup and I have been on the fence about a pair for a while now.
Same here, on YT you can find a builder pro in walnut roughout by Karl Murawski. The other PNW Bootmalers have also some pics, but it is tough to find for example chocolate. In the end I ended up on a builder pro with natural edge in chocolate ro.

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
Shuyler and members.
What are the most handsome two tone color combinations you’ve seen in Nicks made to order dress casual boots ? Can I see pics? Please share! Thanks in advance.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Shuyler and members.
What are the most handsome two tone color combinations you’ve seen in Nicks made to order dress casual boots ? Can I see pics? Please share! Thanks in advance.

Here are a few oddballs we've done in the past.

1604092289848.png

1604092334672.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads