• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

forestradio

Reaction score
Praying that it molds perfectly for a comfortable fit. The try on pair was comfortable on the inside portion of the arches but not so much for the outer portion of the arch.
The outer arch support on my Roberts were uncomfortable when I got them; almost a year later now and they're the most comfortable pair of boots I own. Just give them plenty of time to break in as it is most certainly not an overnight ordeal.

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
The outer arch support on my Roberts were uncomfortable when I got them; almost a year later now and they're the most comfortable pair of boots I own. Just give them plenty of time to break in as it is most certainly not an overnight ordeal.
I appreciate that. Thank you for the info.!

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler ,

I am having some sizing issues with my try on boots and I was curious what you thought.

For context, I just ordered a pair of Bounty Hunters from Baker's and after some back and forth settled on a size 8.5E on the 55 last. My bannock size is 9.5D

I also ordered a pair of Builder Pros and just received my try on boots on Friday, they're one width tighter than I was supposed to receive but the length seems just right in a size 9C builder pro soft toe medium arch ( I was supposed to receive 9D).
I plan to order a pair of builder pros with a steel toe. Would the slightly longer length help with steel toe comfort/rubbing? or should I go with my 8.5E sizing from Bakers?

Thanks

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler ,

I am having some sizing issues with my try on boots and I was curious what you thought.

For context, I just ordered a pair of Bounty Hunters from Baker's and after some back and forth settled on a size 8.5E on the 55 last. My bannock size is 9.5D

I also ordered a pair of Builder Pros and just received my try on boots on Friday, they're one width tighter than I was supposed to receive but the length seems just right in a size 9C builder pro soft toe medium arch ( I was supposed to receive 9D).
I plan to order a pair of builder pros with a steel toe. Would the slightly longer length help with steel toe comfort/rubbing? or should I go with my 8.5E sizing from Bakers?

Thanks
Hi,

I would be inclined to go off of the length you have in the try-on if it’s just right for you, especially with a steel toe.

And sorry about sending the C, typically we will try and get as close as we can with available stock in the try-ons and then adjust on the final build to try and keep the process somewhat time-sensitive. We’ve been having a bit of a hard time keeping try on inventory up with orders but are getting caught up.

To summarize, I think the 9 length sounds like the best choice.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Hi,

I would be inclined to go off of the length you have in the try-on if it’s just right for you, especially with a steel toe.

And sorry about sending the C, typically we will try and get as close as we can with available stock in the try-ons and then adjust on the final build to try and keep the process somewhat time-sensitive. We’ve been having a bit of a hard time keeping try on inventory up with orders but are getting caught up.

To summarize, I think the 9 length sounds like the best choice.

Thanks for the quick feedback! I know things are crazy over there. I will most likely end up going with the 9 length.

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
Shuyler,
Do you still offer horsehide as an option to your boots? If so, how much additional cost is it over and above the purchase price for a pair of boots? Thanks.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Any chance you guys will bring back Horsehide as a leather? Would love some Horsehide Manito's.

Edit: I just saw someone asking something similar. Oh well. I'd love some Brown HH shoes.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Is it really that much more?

If I remember correctly, it was available for a $30 uncharge when chosen on your made to order page 2 years ago.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

If I remember correctly, it was available for a $30 uncharge when chosen on your made to order page 2 years ago.

Yeah. I don't know if we've always done the best job factoring in leather costs in the past and are trying to get better at it. For example, the Wickett & Craig veg tan is not a ton more than a Chromexcel on a per square foot basis, but has a lot less usable material per side, so in reality, is quite a bit more expensive to use. I'll do the math on what it might take for a horsehide and see what you guys think when we get through the British Tan rotator. I'll make the test horsehide boots available for purchase if you guys want them, provided we already have your sizes on file.

As an aside, the British Tan is beautiful and you should all buy some. My first new personal boots in 2 years are going to be British Tan Urban Loggers, it is a beautiful leather, especially if you're looking for something a little different. It's not as 'normal' as a Walnut/Brown CXL but more serious than a Predator/Tobacco.

andrew2011

Reaction score
Yeah. I don't know if we've always done the best job factoring in leather costs in the past and are trying to get better at it. For example, the Wickett & Craig veg tan is not a ton more than a Chromexcel on a per square foot basis, but has a lot less usable material per side, so in reality, is quite a bit more expensive to use. I'll do the math on what it might take for a horsehide and see what you guys think when we get through the British Tan rotator. I'll make the test horsehide boots available for purchase if you guys want them, provided we already have your sizes on file.

As an aside, the British Tan is beautiful and you should all buy some. My first new personal boots in 2 years are going to be British Tan Urban Loggers, it is a beautiful leather, especially if you're looking for something a little different. It's not as 'normal' as a Walnut/Brown CXL but more serious than a Predator/Tobacco.
What are your thoughts on Wickett & Craig vs the British Tan leather? I ordered a pair of Americanas in W&C but am also drawn to the British Tan CXL. Is there any difference in durability/care between the two types of leather?

montanamike

Reaction score

Bakers is a 110-140 upcharge for horsehide as a point of reference. I don't know the production implications of horsehide vs bovine but off hand, it seems pretty reasonable

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads