• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Shuyler,

We can do that, right? Put a Ranger heel with natural edge dressing on my MTO Robert. I'd like to have the logger style curved heel on my custom Robert: Order number POS000016015 . Can you put that in the comments for the order for me please Shuyler? Thanks, Mark
Yes, we can do that.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Ok, I'm officially a hypocrite. Yesterday I mentioned my disdain for leather laces. Out of curiosity (and boredom) I put them in my Manitos for the first time... and the shoes are freaking locked in. Damn. I wasted at least 20 bucks on after market laces and what came with the shoes stock was perfect the whole time.

My only issue is 2 eyelets on my right shoe keep eating my laces. Pretty sure they are gonna do the same to the leather ones. Nicks, how could this be fixed? I've never had this happen with boots before.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm officially a hypocrite. Yesterday I mentioned my disdain for leather laces. Out of curiosity (and boredom) I put them in my Manitos for the first time... and the shoes are freaking locked in. Damn. I wasted at least 20 bucks on after market laces and what came with the shoes stock was perfect the whole time.

My only issue is 2 eyelets on my right shoe keep eating my laces. Pretty sure they are gonna do the same to the leather ones. Nicks, how could this be fixed? I've never had this happen with boots before.
Isn't it interesting that these custom boot companies seem to know what they doing when it comes to default options? Almost like they have been doing this for decades...

Do not think of yourself as a hypocrite... think of yourself as a convert...

Take a round file and polish the inside of the eyelet, then follow with progressively finer grits of sandpaper until you are happy... you may just have a burr...

1603137606344.png

miggyramone

Reaction score
OH, LE. It's nice to know you didn't lost your brass sarcasm during a world wide pandemic. It's good to know some things don't change.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OH, LE. It's nice to know you didn't lost your brass sarcasm during a world wide pandemic. It's good to know some things don't change.
What in my reply did you find to be sarcastic? I assure you, it was not intended to be so...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just messing with you, bro. Sorry if it came off more serious than I meant.
Ah yes "messing"... no offense taken... as I have previously mentioned, English is not my first language, and on occasion I still have trouble recognizing when someone is "having a go".

I also have been known to confuse sarcasm, patronization (along with its etymological cousin condescension), and irony... these subtle differences are further compounded when utilizing the written word, as the usual visual clues on which I typically try to rely are missing.

I thought I might have written something sarcastic without realizing it.

In any event, we are "all good" as they say...

miggyramone

Reaction score
Ah yes "messing"... no offense taken... as I have previously mentioned, English is not my first language, and on occasion I still have trouble recognizing when someone is "having a go".

I also have been known to confuse sarcasm, patronization (along with its etymological cousin condescension), and irony... these subtle differences are further compounded when utilizing the written word, as the usual visual clues on which I typically try to rely are missing.

I thought I might have written something sarcastic without realizing it.

In any event, we are "all good" as they say...
No no, I was just giving you a hard time. Explanation not needed brother. Hell, you're the reason I even got into the Manitos when you shared pics of your pairs with me.

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Just received my Try On pair of boots ( Medium arch soft toe Builder Pros). The sizing was pretty close to perfect with room for a steel toe on my build.

Brannock 9.5D/E and Try On size is 9D

First time ever trying on high arch boots from Nicks. The arch support does feel extreme in these and is quite hard to get used to. The white's smoke jumper try ons had arch support but felt less extreme to me.

Question: Does this arch collapse any? or get more comfortable with break in? or should I punt and go down to a moderate arch builder pro giving up almost all of the arch support?

Any advice welcome

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just received my Try On pair of boots ( Medium arch soft toe Builder Pros). The sizing was pretty close to perfect with room for a steel toe on my build.

First time ever trying on high arch boots from Nicks. The arch support does feel extreme in these and is quite hard to get used to. The white's smoke jumper try ons had arch support but felt less extreme to me.

Question: Does this arch collapse any? or get more comfortable with break in? or should I punt and go down to a moderate arch builder pro giving up almost all of the arch support?

Any advice welcome
It definitely takes time, but the arch does come down as it molds to your foot. Kind of an in exact science unfortunately. Curious what others have to say.

montanamike

Reaction score

Any advice welcome
My data point is weak but here it is..

My 13 year old Rangers (55 last) arch feels less pronounced than my 4 month old Charleys (55 last). It isn't a remarkable difference and it could be just the footbed being perfectly formed over time.

Phanes

Reaction score
Went up to medium arch and yes in the first two days it was noticable but with time all layers, and there are plenty in nicks, of the foot bed start to adapt. Now I can feel even different groves of the toes and the foot stays where it is supposed to be, the steep from heel to front foot is now an even. That took only a week or two. And it feels great, so great that I ordered a high arch because I think I can adapt to that too. If you see a cut away of those boots you can see all the leather that you are walking on. That can mold around you feet and gives a huge advantage compared to single layer and the outer sole rubber shoes.

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
Arch break-in is my biggest concern about the Nicks Robert boot I have on order. Praying that it molds perfectly for a comfortable fit. The try on pair was comfortable on the inside portion of the arches but not so much for the outer portion of the arch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads