• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

montanamike

Reaction score
I wonder if my 5" semi dressesque hopes are featured in the front here..
Nicks5.jpg

montanamike

Reaction score
Hmm. Think a 5" would do well?

With one guy... I have long admired the semi dress style but have had had squeaking issues... All I can say with any degree of confidence is you would sell one 13EE for sure. I'm sure you have a better grip on the overall market.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
With one guy... I have long admired the semi dress style but have had had squeaking issues... All I can say with any degree of confidence is you would sell one 13EE for sure. I'm sure you have a better grip on the overall market.
I'm 99% sure that's a 5" Charley, which we can make for you.

nikolau

Reaction score
Hi folks- what’s the difference between The Falcon and The Robert?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi folks- what’s the difference between The Falcon and The Robert?
Hi, this is fairly subjective. The Robert is a higher arch, built on a 55 last, and has a dogger heel, meaning it slopes in as it approaches the ground. Some people may find it more supportive of their arch, especially if they are used to more height variance between their heel and their toe, like if they’re used to traditional work boots, especially the Pacific Northwest style, akin to competitors like Whites and Wesco. It tends to a more rolling gait, imo, because of the arch and the heel. It also comes with a pull loop to make it easier to put on.

The Falcon is on a more moderate arch, called an HNW, and is like a traditional service boot with a block heel that will feel like ‘normal’ footwear in that there is not a ton of variance between heel and toe height. It is probably more like what a layperson thinks of when they think of a casual heritage boot, IMO. A Falcon will fit in pretty much wherever formal footwear isn’t required. A Robert is more distinctive, IMO. They are both handmade so interesting in that way, and both overbuilt in that they are durable and heavy and you can’t wear them through a metal detector because of all the nails, if that’s a concern.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe its the camera angle? The nick's dogger heel looks disproportionately large compared to the rest of the boot. From the side, the heel portion is almost a third of the length of the sole.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 8.35.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 8.35.06 PM.png
    786.3 KB · Views: 342

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe its the camera angle? The nick's dogger heel looks disproportionately large compared to the rest of the boot. From the side, the heel portion is almost a third of the length of the sole.
I don’t have any data points if our heels are bigger than others in this class but this is a 9 so anything larger might be more proportionate to your tastes. I agree that it is kind of a chunky boot, but have a few and they look pretty good, but I’m a 12.

montanamike

Reaction score

I've never noticed it on mine (size 13). It seems by a quick look that the lower heeled options (from Nicks and other makers) use a bit smaller heel but that could be just how it appears in pictures. I have no direct experience as I am a fan of the arch support found in the higher heeled options.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this disproportionate look happens more often on smaller boot sizes, size 9 and below. Nicks could you share some pics of boots in smaller sizes, side profile?

forestradio

Reaction score
I think this disproportionate look happens more often on smaller boot sizes, size 9 and below. Nicks could you share some pics of boots in smaller sizes, side profile?
Roberts 8.5 FF. I thought the same thing until I got a pair. Up close pics on a computer make the heel look disproportionately large; once you wear them the heel looks just fine. Of course this also depends on attire imo, if you wear real slim fitting pants the heel will stick out more and the falcon might be a better choice but then you'd lose the arch support of the 55 last. I'm really happy with my pair.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 395
  • thumbnail (8).jpg
    thumbnail (8).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 458

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads