• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

TyrLI

Reaction score
A Guy posted a pic of his boots in this leather is gorgeous and wondered if they are bringing it back... apparently is not available in the options at the Nicks Site...
I looked it up, it's a type of leather, not the color:

Latigo leather is cowhide leather that is combination tanned. First it is chrome tanned, then it is vegetable tanned. Before modern combination tanning, latigo had been combination tanned with alum and gambier.

Latigo is usually infused with oils and waxes. Techniques such as hot-stuffing, wet-stuffing, and fat liquoring have been devised to increase the amount of oil and wax the hide can hold. Due to oil/wax infusion, and its partial chrome tanning, the leather is moderately flexible, less rigid than full vegetable tans, but more rigid than full chrome tans. Because of its weight and tanning process, latigo is among the most expensive cattle hide leathers.

Seems like a best of both worlds kind of thing

l33tcoder

Reaction score
Let me try my luck - any chance of having belts in the new W&C leather offerings? Would love to have one in Milled Buck Brown or Chestnut bridle leather :)

mikeczyz

Reaction score
Let me try my luck - any chance of having belts in the new W&C leather offerings? Would love to have one in Milled Buck Brown or Chestnut bridle leather :)
It's not exactly what you want, but a guy I know makes belts from W&C Buck Brown Harness. Not milled, though:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm, that is a good idea, we just have the medium brown right now. It's a different thickness than the boots so it starts to get pricey from an inventory standpoint but will look into it.

l33tcoder

Reaction score
Hmm, that is a good idea, we just have the medium brown right now. It's a different thickness than the boots so it starts to get pricey from an inventory standpoint but will look into it.
Ohh...I didn't realize that the leather thickness for belts is different - is it thicker than the leather used for boots?

mikeczyz

Reaction score
Yeah, we use 14 Oz for belts, though that is not common
i'm guessing leather inventory is why you don't have a 'buy a matching belt' option for all models? when I purchased my boots, I was given an option for keyclip/drink sleeve, but would have loved the opportunity to add in a W&C leather belt to match the boots.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i'm guessing leather inventory is why you don't have a 'buy a matching belt' option for all models? when I purchased my boots, I was given an option for keyclip/drink sleeve, but would have loved the opportunity to add in a W&C leather belt to match the boots.
Correct, the smaller goods can be made with the same leather but we think belts need to be thicker

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.