• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Vultain

Reaction score
The difference between 8 or 10 isn't that much. if I had to choose, I would choose the ready to ship.
Absolutely I agree with this. 10" really only comes into play out in the woods to avoid twisting your ankle and extra support. I have never really found a difference between it and the 8". It still is comfortable, just a longer break in ever so slightly.

On a curious note I am currently on the Stitchdown Discord. They are praising 7" like it is some ideal height. I'm not sure why or if it is a flexibility thing? From what I can currently ascertain it has more to do with a 7" boot being able to fully patina, give the flexibility of 6" boot, but the ankle support of a 8".

I can't comment myself because all the boots I have owned have been Chukkas, 6" boots, 8"(my favorite), or 10" in terms of height. I'd be curious to hear viewpoints or experiences of people on here though. Is 7" really a magic number? Or is it something more suited for casual use by fashion moguls?

montanamike

Reaction score
Absolutely I agree with this. 10" really only comes into play out in the woods to avoid twisting your ankle and extra support. I have never really found a difference between it and the 8". It still is comfortable, just a longer break in ever so slightly.

On a curious note I am currently on the Stitchdown Discord. They are praising 7" like it is some ideal height. I'm not sure why or if it is a flexibility thing? From what I can currently ascertain it has more to do with a 7" boot being able to fully patina, give the flexibility of 6" boot, but the ankle support of a 8".

I can't comment myself because all the boots I have owned have been Chukkas, 6" boots, 8"(my favorite), or 10" in terms of height. I'd be curious to hear viewpoints or experiences of people on here though. Is 7" really a magic number? Or is it something more suited for casual use by fashion moguls?
I've never had a 7" but would guess its like a 170 degree latte... people order it because they can not because they would be less satisfied with a 180 degree latte. (I agree that an 8" is the optimal solution for one stone to toss at all the various birds one might encounter fwiw)

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Friends,

My family has a bit of a cycling tradition and my uncle has published a book on the best of the many routes we have taken over the past few decades. If anyone wants one here I’m happy to send it to you gratis. I can’t imagine more than a thousand or two of these will be printed, but they are a fun part of my family’s experience I’m happy to share with you. I’ve included some pics.

My family were originally loggers in Grays Harbor County, WA and I enjoyed many summers in Elma. It was always a nostalgic time to experience those landmarks from the hard seat of a bike and many of our rides went through there but we made it throughout the region, including into BC, Idaho, Oregon and Montana. My uncle hung up his bike shoes after our final ride together last week though I and others in our generation will continue the tradition.

Please message me directly (not chat) and I’ll get one in the mail to you. Thanks again for being along for this journey and I wish you all good health, traditions and a great Sunday.

Cheers,

Shuyler

Attachments

• 3BF4383C-D196-45C8-BDAB-AB8C1B666DFD.jpeg
    3BF4383C-D196-45C8-BDAB-AB8C1B666DFD.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 59
  • CD8A0C15-66AC-4ABA-9DE0-C72E6EFB2FB2.jpeg
    CD8A0C15-66AC-4ABA-9DE0-C72E6EFB2FB2.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 57
  • C21BB5CE-8528-46CE-B1D0-4CA17314DF6E.jpeg
    C21BB5CE-8528-46CE-B1D0-4CA17314DF6E.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 01B9A906-D453-4D6B-8CA7-520BA9AE106A.jpeg
    01B9A906-D453-4D6B-8CA7-520BA9AE106A.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 193

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score

This is totally subjective, but I will throw my hat into the ring about the 10” not mattering. I went from 6” Redwings to 10” Builder Pros (the 1964 Brown… is super supple, and probably has a lot to do with my opinion). For the first couple weeks I tied them at the 8” mark, leaving the top couple of hooks unused. Then after a while I started lacing them right up to use all the hooks. I had zero problem going from 6” lightweight boots to the heavier 10”. I then got some Brown Waxed Flesh 8” Roberts. The waxed flesh is quite a bit stiffer, until it warms up. Now I can hardly tell the difference of which boots I’m wearing during the day. Moving from 6” to either 8” or 10” has had very little impact on my day, it’s the footbed and incredible arch support that has made the major difference (for the better).
As an added bonus, I do a lot of hiking, and normally in heavyweight slimmer 6” boots. I’ve tried the Builder Pro’s and have to say they are quite comfy and the added ankle support is greatly appreciated. The taller logger heel isn’t something you fully appreciate till you’re faced with a steep 3 mile climb.
One of the reasons I went with the higher boots is that I have weak ankles, and tend to roll them easy, possibly part of the reason the boot height hasn’t caused discomfort is that I have relatively thin ankles / lower legs. I could see the added height maybe being more of an issue if I had thicker legs & ankles. But in that case I think I’d just lace them looser.
7” seems like a flex… “oh, I could never get used to 8”, and 6” showed too much ankle… I had to have them custom made, in this super rare leather, by a cobbler that lives on top of a hill in, he takes orders only on the 7th day of the 7th month of a year with a 7 in it”
And besides, we all know why 6 is afraid of 7.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is totally subjective, but I will throw my hat into the ring about the 10” not mattering. I went from 6” Redwings to 10” Builder Pros (the 1964 Brown… is super supple, and probably has a lot to do with my opinion). For the first couple weeks I tied them at the 8” mark, leaving the top couple of hooks unused. Then after a while I started lacing them right up to use all the hooks. I had zero problem going from 6” lightweight boots to the heavier 10”. I then got some Brown Waxed Flesh 8” Roberts. The waxed flesh is quite a bit stiffer, until it warms up. Now I can hardly tell the difference of which boots I’m wearing during the day. Moving from 6” to either 8” or 10” has had very little impact on my day, it’s the footbed and incredible arch support that has made the major difference (for the better).
As an added bonus, I do a lot of hiking, and normally in heavyweight slimmer 6” boots. I’ve tried the Builder Pro’s and have to say they are quite comfy and the added ankle support is greatly appreciated. The taller logger heel isn’t something you fully appreciate till you’re faced with a steep 3 mile climb.
One of the reasons I went with the higher boots is that I have weak ankles, and tend to roll them easy, possibly part of the reason the boot height hasn’t caused discomfort is that I have relatively thin ankles / lower legs. I could see the added height maybe being more of an issue if I had thicker legs & ankles. But in that case I think I’d just lace them looser.
7” seems like a flex… “oh, I could never get used to 8”, and 6” showed too much ankle… I had to have them custom made, in this super rare leather, by a cobbler that lives on top of a hill in, he takes orders only on the 7th day of the 7th month of a year with a 7 in it”
And besides, we all know why 6 is afraid of 7.
Laughed out loud (irl)

Moeck14

Reaction score
We are making progress but still playing catch up a bit on lead times. I'm hoping to have some things launch in mid to late October, however.
Awesome, appreciate the quick reply. Take your time, I know the crew is working plenty hard right now.

Vultain

Reaction score
Hey guys, out of curiosity does anyone have before and after photos of their Nick's in the Wickett & Craig Tan colored Oiled Latigo Leather? Specifically what your care routine is? I have a friend trying to get a pair of boots and most people use Saphir Renuevateur or Heavy Duty LP.

He was specifically trying to figure out how Smith's Leather Balm will age it overtime. Has anyone done a care routine only with Smith's?

Personally I have used Saphir's Medaille D'or 1925 Oiled Leather Cream in Neutral. I felt it was the closest to how Wickett and Craig tans the leather. Given it is refined neatsfoot Oil, apricot oil, and emulsified beeswax.
I then waterproof with a spray of Saphir Super Invulner. It is more maintenance and upkeep even if it is a killer patina. I get it, not for everyone.

Any help is much appreciated! 👍 I'm curious to see what's out there.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, out of curiosity does anyone have before and after photos of their Nick's in the Wickett & Craig Tan colored Oiled Latigo Leather? Specifically what your care routine is? I have a friend trying to get a pair of boots and most people use Saphir Renuevateur or Heavy Duty LP.

He was specifically trying to figure out how Smith's Leather Balm will age it overtime. Has anyone done a care routine only with Smith's?

Personally I have used Saphir's Medaille D'or 1925 Oiled Leather Cream in Neutral. I felt it was the closest to how Wickett and Craig tans the leather. Given it is refined neatsfoot Oil, apricot oil, and emulsified beeswax.
I then waterproof with a spray of Saphir Super Invulner. It is more maintenance and upkeep even if it is a killer patina. I get it, not for everyone.

Any help is much appreciated! 👍 I'm curious to see what's out there.
Wickett actually has a relationship with Smith's and recommends it. I believe they include a little jar in their factory-direct hide purchases though that could be a future initiative. I don't, unfortunately, have any pics.

Vultain

Reaction score
Wickett actually has a relationship with Smith's and recommends it. I believe they include a little jar in their factory-direct hide purchases though that could be a future initiative. I don't, unfortunately, have any pics.
Thanks Shuyler, I heard similar too. I know that the Oiled Latigo is more full of emulsified oils and waxes. Hence why I went with the why I personally went with Saphir MDO 1925 Oiled Leather Cream. To be fair it isn't the cheapest product out there and I found the leather dries faster in the summer. It doesn't seem to make a hydration difference much in the winter oddly. Winter time oddly doesn't suck much out of it. All I can think is the oils and waxes evaporate different in the warmer conditions? 🤔 To be fair we had a long hot summer this year!

Smith's is definitely easier though. It does make me wonder if the pullup lines and irregularities will leave the leather with the Smith's or not? That is what he is most concerned with. I would say Smith's is most definitely the best match for the Double Stuffed you use! 👍 My friend is considering coming down in person to your shop and visiting from California to have a pair made. He prefers in person versus mail in. Ultimately he is just not sure of the leather based on that, and he really wanted to see some examples. 😅

I'd disclose what he does for a living and intends to wear it but I don't want to break his confidence in privacy. I can say he owns over 30+ Red Wing's, and Nick's will be his first high end work boot. He's not afraid of care, but he will will subjecting the leather to far more adverse conditions than I go in. Heavy amounts of dust, and mud will be a factor, Chainsaw and Brush and an overall chore boot. He doesn't do a whole lot abrasive though and has been using an old pair of Red Wing 899's. But the soles are delaminating and they are at that point where they aren't really worth resoling.

From what I could tell he is more leaning towards your 11067 last based upon that. He's been probing me for answers and when it comes to how Smith's would affect the Patina in Tan overtime, I didn't really have a good frame of reference for him. He might go with straight Latigo or your natural Double Stuffed as more examples do exist.

Thanks for the information and I hope that explains more of it.

Phanes

Reaction score
I personally went with Saphir MDO Oiled Leather Cream.
Same here, plus Invulner. I also use the little portion of nicks stuff, which is maybe obenauf LP. So maybe not that helpful but I have a side by side of a new never worn 6 inch Latino vs an 8inch worn since February, from cold to 40c.
Didn't treat them that much because it is already full with everything it needs.
Screenshot_20220929-121503.png

TyrLI

Reaction score
Ouch! I went a half size down from my flex point and went soft toed. I think that might give the comfortability. Have you tried wearing a work sock made for Steel Toes like the Paul Bunyan? I wonder if that might help some? Besides that I use the Woodlore Boot Boss to avoid toe curl. One of the perks to an 8" over a 10" boot. Blistering isn't fun!
Wearing steel toe socks with them today. Can still feel the toe cap when I walk but it seems to be rubbing the top of my toes a bit less. Maybe it will get better as I break in the footed, because they're actually wearable now. Thanks for the idea

Airwalkia

Reaction score
Hate to be that guy but I left a hangry email to customer support

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004_221329_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004_221329_Gmail.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 213

drewzter

Reaction score
Same here, plus Invulner. I also use the little portion of nicks stuff, which is maybe obenauf LP. So maybe not that helpful but I have a side by side of a new never worn 6 inch Latino vs an 8inch worn since February, from cold to 40c.
Didn't treat them that much because it is already full with everything it needs.
View attachment 1837761
boot on the right is which model?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads