• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

chicken1616

Reaction score
Agreed, Tygum VBAR with Nitrile Cork has been my favorite sole bar none! I never got to experience Gro-Cord back when Vibram made them for Red Wing. That's about the only sole I have zero experience with. Best traction indoors on oily conditions with wear for me.

Oddly for everyone hating on the Christy I have found it far more slip resistant to indoors and on snow. Really ice sucks period, V100, etc. it doesn't matter. You're best off to put on traction/ice cleats. That said for real ice, not snow, VBAR 700 Cork Nitrile strangely has been my best sole personally but you'll fall with any of them on ice if you aren't careful.

The Darwin award for faceplanting and falling for me has a no contest for me goes to Dainite. Hands down bar none the sole I have almost snapped my neck using! I have had boots with them I refuse to wear except during the summer months, because I value my life. They aren't bad on soil, hiking, or asphalt. But get things wet, or an indoor waxed floor with a wet spill be it oil, chemical, or water... They are the worst! As soon as I wear the soles out I am going with Vibram Teton(Dainite's oil resistant cousin), or VBAR 700 Tygum Cork Nitrile.

Not a fan of the 430 Mini lug but it isn't that bad on ice either. It just feels hard as a rock under foot for me. I find the V100 personally more comfortable.
The Vibram 269 is very slip resistant, even on ice. Very flexible also. My favorite casual sole

GringoInChile

Reaction score
TLDR: Questions

1. Do you think I'm right that my current boots might be 1/2 size too long?

2. Do you think it's true that HNW last feels 1/4-1/2 size shorter than the 11067 last?

I would love some advice on whether to size down for my second pair of Nick's boots. Unfortunately, Nicks customer service has been less than helpful (again) regarding sizing, so I'm hoping I might find better advice here.

My first Nicks are 11067 Urban Loggers. I think they might be a good 1/2 size too long. According to the internet, a half size = 4.23 mm. I placed a 12mm block behind my heel and laced up the boot. The whole front of the boot still feels comfortable. Moreover, the crease/flex point looks much more normal/healthy (see photo). And I've frequently read that the position of the crease/flex point is the most important factor when deciding length.

I want to order some HNW Urban Drifters for my second pair (because I'm not loving this high arch). I've seen people mention that HNW can feel 1/4-1/2 size shorter than 11067 (example here: guy who purchased both and can't even use his HNW). Nick's customer service says they do not recommend changing sizes between different lasts . . . but I don't have much confidence in them because they've been frustratingly unreliable. I'm hoping you folks might provide some better recommendations.

Many thanks!

Adam Boot 3.jpg

GringoInChile

Reaction score
Did you do the fit sheet?

For my first boots, a year ago? Yes. I did it 20x and took the best sample. They recommended a half size even larger than this and brushed off any questions I had. Thankfully I came here and other websites to find better sizing info.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
TLDR: Questions

1. Do you think I'm right that my current boots might be 1/2 size too long?

2. Do you think it's true that HNW last feels 1/4-1/2 size shorter than the 11067 last?

I would love some advice on whether to size down for my second pair of Nick's boots. Unfortunately, Nicks customer service has been less than helpful (again) regarding sizing, so I'm hoping I might find better advice here.

My first Nicks are 11067 Urban Loggers. I think they might be a good 1/2 size too long. According to the internet, a half size = 4.23 mm. I placed a 12mm block behind my heel and laced up the boot. The whole front of the boot still feels comfortable. Moreover, the crease/flex point looks much more normal/healthy (see photo). And I've frequently read that the position of the crease/flex point is the most important factor when deciding length.

I want to order some HNW Urban Drifters for my second pair (because I'm not loving this high arch). I've seen people mention that HNW can feel 1/4-1/2 size shorter than 11067 (example here: guy who purchased both and can't even use his HNW). Nick's customer service says they do not recommend changing sizes between different lasts . . . but I don't have much confidence in them because they've been frustratingly unreliable. I'm hoping you folks might provide some better recommendations.

Many thanks!

View attachment 1805247
I'm sorry you've had this experience. It has prompted internal discussion, fwiw.

I wear the same size in both the HNW and the higher-arch lasts and believe that is the case for most others which is probably why you got that message from CS. Maintaining size across lasts is the company line. However, if you feel that the 67 is too long but the width is good the simple answer would be to go a half-size down and one width wider. I wear a 12 in Nikes and other mass-market brands and wear an 11E in our shoes, if that is helpful.

There are aspects of sizing and fit that are subjective which can muddy the waters. Obviously, that's no excuse and it's our job to guide you through the process and I apologize that hasn't happened here. Sometimes we go for promptness when maybe a more nuanced approach would be appropriate.

With all that said, I would recommend a half size down and an extra width if you're comfortable with where the current width is at.

GringoInChile

Reaction score
I'm sorry you've had this experience. It has prompted internal discussion, fwiw.

I wear the same size in both the HNW and the higher-arch lasts and believe that is the case for most others which is probably why you got that message from CS. Maintaining size across lasts is the company line. However, if you feel that the 67 is too long but the width is good the simple answer would be to go a half-size down and one width wider. I wear a 12 in Nikes and other mass-market brands and wear an 11E in our shoes, if that is helpful.

There are aspects of sizing and fit that are subjective which can muddy the waters. Obviously, that's no excuse and it's our job to guide you through the process and I apologize that hasn't happened here. Sometimes we go for promptness when maybe a more nuanced approach would be appropriate.

With all that said, I would recommend a half size down and an extra width if you're comfortable with where the current width is at.

Thank you so much! This is exactly the sort of answer I've been looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time.

I'm a very happy Nick's customer -- their product is fantastic. And I assume that their customer service email is absolutely flooded with general inquiries from potential customers, so I don't blame them. But I do wish there were a separate email or means of contact for the specific questions of actual customers because I find I have to keep repeating my question over and over only to have it brushed off by telling me check out the videos on lacing techniques. But it's a minor criticism, and it's worth noting that the overwhelming majority of people seem to have a great customer service experience.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you so much! This is exactly the sort of answer I've been looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time.

I'm a very happy Nick's customer -- their product is fantastic. And I assume that their customer service email is absolutely flooded with general inquiries from potential customers, so I don't blame them. But I do wish there were a separate email or means of contact for the specific questions of actual customers because I find I have to keep repeating my question over and over only to have it brushed off by telling me check out the videos on lacing techniques. But it's a minor criticism, and it's worth noting that the overwhelming majority of people seem to have a great customer service experience.
Thank you, appreciate the kind words, it is something we're always trying to improve and pride ourselves on. We are going to have a round-table this week on what we can do to better address this issue, it has frankly always been a challenge but we'll be looking at better ways to make available the sizing data we've accumulated over the years as well as asking for more reference points during the purchase process and making that available as a key for future customers. I would love to hear any additional feedback you might have and thank you for being a customer.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my first boots, a year ago? Yes. I did it 20x and took the best sample. They recommended a half size even larger than this and brushed off any questions I had. Thankfully I came here and other websites to find better sizing info.
This is my experience but everybody has different experiences… I can fit very nicely in 1 and a half sizes down in length from my brannock in the hnw last and up 1 width. I may even be able to go TTS in width I’m not 100% sure yet tho. Just trying to fully break in the pair before I make that decision for future purchases. You guys can take it from me because I’ve tried to go down 2 full sizes and it was too small. I did it so y’all don’t have to. But 1 1/2 sizes down in length and 1 width up worked perfect for me.

i hate when my boots feel a half size too big because then I get heel slip and it’s just not a good time. I would personally recommend anybody to start at a full size down from brannock and maybe up 1width and just go from there. I am of the mindset it’s more important to get the width right and then that allows you to go down half sizes/full sizes/ size 1/2 in length.

I once bought a 8 EEE nicks and my brannocks 8 1/2 FF. They were very tight I couldn’t even get them on. My size 7 FFF boots however fit like a glove and I probably could go down 1 width… TBD.
I’ve only ever worn and tried on nicks hnw last. My experience is just with that last only. I thought it may be helpful to share it.

I really believe however the only right answer to achieve the “perfect fit” is to go to a nicks store or stockist store if they exist and try a pair on. I do realize not everybody is trying to achieve the perfect fit.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is my experience but everybody has different experiences… I can fit very nicely in 1 and a half sizes down in length from my brannock in the hnw last and up 1 width. I may even be able to go TTS in width I’m not 100% sure yet tho. Just trying to fully break in the pair before I make that decision for future purchases. You guys can take it from me because I’ve tried to go down 2 full sizes and it was too small. I did it so y’all don’t have to. But 1 1/2 sizes down in length and 1 width up worked perfect for me.

i hate when my boots feel a half size too big because then I get heel slip and it’s just not a good time. I would personally recommend anybody to start at a full size down from brannock and maybe up 1width and just go from there. I am of the mindset it’s more important to get the width right and then that allows you to go down half sizes/full sizes/ size 1/2 in length.

I once bought a 8 EEE nicks and my brannocks 8 1/2 FF. They were very tight I couldn’t even get them on. My size 7 FFF boots however fit like a glove and I probably could go down 1 width… TBD.

I really believe however the only right answer to achieve the “perfect fit” is to go to a nicks store or stockist store if they exist and try a pair on. I do realize not everybody is trying to achieve the perfect fit.
So yeah, sizing is super simple :)

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey … I just happened to notice a 6 inch boot from nicks handmade boots wasn’t the same height as any other 6 inch boots I have other then whites.

I was just wondering why? Trust me I appreciate more leather!. Is there any functional reason other then aesthetic for the height difference?

now that I think about this post, I know my nicks has a bigger heel. That’s probably the reason.

Attachments

• 4E9361A1-2249-4FA9-B8A3-412AA9B9B247.jpeg
    4E9361A1-2249-4FA9-B8A3-412AA9B9B247.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 9E47280D-B7F9-4C97-81B7-88FC4758E3C1.jpeg
    9E47280D-B7F9-4C97-81B7-88FC4758E3C1.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 92

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey … I just happened to notice a 6 inch boot from nicks handmade boots wasn’t the same height as any other 6 inch boots I have other then whites.

I was just wondering why? Trust me I appreciate more leather!. Is there any functional reason other then aesthetic for the height difference?

now that I think about this post, I know my nicks has a bigger heel. That’s probably the reason.
Are the heel heights different? Are your Truman's the old style or the goodyear welted versions?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are the heel heights different? Are your Truman's the old style or the goodyear welted versions?
Also, some brands will scale height proportionally to length in their patterns, so an 8.5 might be a bit less than 6" while a 13 might be a bit more. We have a uniform height regardless of size.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Truman’s are the gyw version … I measured 7 1/2 inches in height on the nicks and 6 1/2 on both the Truman’s and vibergs …. Heels were 1 inch (Truman) and a little over a inch (viberg) nicks were a little over 1 1/2 inches.

they should all be similar in terms of builds… (6inch height and the smallest heel stack each company offers) but nicks it looks like has more leather heel stack (even with the moderate option) then the truman and what seems like double the heel stack as the viberg. I’m not gonna flood the thread gallery with measurement pics I was just doing it out of curiosity.

I’m assuming you just get more of a boot when you buy a nicks then those other brands.

so like if you are a consumer and you buy a 6 inch boot (hnw moderate heel stack) really expect a 7 1/2 in boot in terms of height. And maybe that applies to the 8 inch? It’ll really be 9 1/2 inches in height if it was hnw moderate heel stack? Since that’s how mine are measuring? And then if you add the classic, big leather heel stack it might get even taller? What do you think lol.

just goofing around with the boots. For what it’s worth I measured 2 pairs of whites with the smaller leather heel stack option and they also measured the same exact height as the nicks … 7 1/2 inches. One was a rancher (I think built on the smoke jumper last)? And one was on the 55 last

TyrLI

Reaction score
The Truman’s are the gyw version … I measured 7 1/2 inches in height on the nicks and 6 1/2 on both the Truman’s and vibergs …. Heels were 1 inch (Truman) and a little over a inch (viberg) nicks were a little over 1 1/2 inches.

they should all be similar in terms of builds… (6inch height and the smallest heel stack each company offers) but nicks it looks like has more leather heel stack (even with the moderate option) then the truman and what seems like double the heel stack as the viberg. I’m not gonna flood the thread gallery with measurement pics I was just doing it out of curiosity.

I’m assuming you just get more of a boot when you buy a nicks then those other brands.

so like if you are a consumer and you buy a 6 inch boot (hnw moderate heel stack) really expect a 7 1/2 in boot in terms of height. And maybe that applies to the 8 inch? It’ll really be 9 1/2 inches in height if it was hnw moderate heel stack? Since that’s how mine are measuring? And then if you add the classic, big leather heel stack it might get even taller? What do you think lol.

just goofing around with the boots. For what it’s worth I measured 2 pairs of whites with the smaller leather heel stack option and they also measured the same exact height as the nicks … 7 1/2 inches. One was a rancher (I think built on the smoke jumper last)? And one was on the 55 last
I mean, subtract the heel and you have a 6" boot. It's just a matter of where your benchmark is located.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yeah, to @TyrLI ’s comment we consider heights to be the height of the leather from the top of the heel. Just different philosophies, I guess. Our original founder worked at White’s in the ‘50s and ‘60s so not surprising we have some similarities there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads