• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Reaction score
Nearly 1 month update on my officers:
I have been alternating these with my Wesco jobmasters depending on what other clothes I'm wearing, but they have been worn most days for 3 1/2 weeks, including up the rocky tracks going up the local hills.

They started like this:
20211119_075743.jpg 20211119_173629.jpg

And now look like this:
20211212_132822.jpg 20211212_132836.jpg 20211212_132724.jpg

Due to the wet conditions ahead (we got about 200mm of rain the following week) and an increadibly loud and annoying squeak coming from the heel counter on the left boot, I gave them 2 heavy treatments with Obernauf's HDLP (outside only) and a blow dryer, which darkened them considerably, but so significantly improved water resistance.

The squeak was still there annoying as ever, so I tried filling the heel with 50-50 isopropyl alcohol and wearing them until it dried. Didnt work. Went insane inside and out with talcum powder and wore them for a few hours, flexing my ankles to try and work some of it in. Then I finally made some progress.
I used a heap of the R.M. Williams brand "leather conditioner" on the inside of the heel counter and wore them around like that all day and most of the night. There was enough in there it felt squishy walking around, but it eventually soaked in, and what do you know - the squeak is tolerable and minimal. I also wiped the excess on my hands onto the outside of the boot, which brough out a rich red colour..

Only problem with that method was some seeped past just the heel counter and soaked through the surrounding leather, darkening it more than the other parts of the boot. It's barely noticeable unless you're staring at it though (I did try and even the effect on the other boot by doing the same though.)

These are definitely my favourite day to day/medium duty boots so far. Now I just need a pair in black with V100 soles ?

kornnn

Reaction score
Nicks-sole-honey-sand-cream-2021.jpg
Maybe I was bad looking but I couldn't find any useful information on multiple soles.
Vibram V100 LUG Honey and Vibram 2021 Sand and Vibram Christy cream.

Share information on the comfort, durability and softness of these soles please. All qualities/parameters can be compared with the qualities of the sneakers and with the Vibram V100 outsole. Naturally, this can be a subjective assessment.

And an additional options. I walk about 15 miles a day down the street on a smooth and not very smooth road. Which outsole should I choose? Traveler or Overlander I'd better choose?

I will be very grateful for any thoughts and your own observations.

Last edited:

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The christy and the 2021 are similar in comfort while the Christy looks cooler but wears out faster. The honey vibram is more like the normal lug but softer and more cushioned but also wears more quickly.

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Got ‘em!
1964 Stock Builder Pros. Ordered on November 10th, received today (December 14)
The sizing seems perfect… a little narrow at the very top of the ankle, but doesn’t seem like it will matter, as I don’t think I’ll ever tie them that high. I used the stock fit instructions and they definitely seem to have worked… 10E seems to be my size. There’s a good amount of room in the toe box, but they’re still “snug”. I ordered these because I need some actual work boots… and I wanted to also verify the sizing that I chose for my MTO Roberts (ordered in October, due in about February) I believe I chose correctly. I’ve been wearing these around the house for the last few hours, and they feel great.
The stitching is amazing, very good and symmetrical. There is great arch support (which was what lead me to Nicks in the first place)
So far I don’t think these will be too rough to break in (I’m sure I’ll eat those words).
Can’t wait to see how these age. They have a side porch conversion to a full bath, a mudroom and laundry room to renovate and an old garage to tear down, and a good amount of landscaping ahead of them, come spring.

Attachments

• CFF2118E-AFBD-48C8-B254-F49B015BD7F7.jpeg
    CFF2118E-AFBD-48C8-B254-F49B015BD7F7.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 110
  • A4BF326F-A585-4050-8A00-5DDC9C176BD3.jpeg
    A4BF326F-A585-4050-8A00-5DDC9C176BD3.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 29CD0402-BF09-4F44-9F5D-13E645933C37.jpeg
    29CD0402-BF09-4F44-9F5D-13E645933C37.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 122
  • C9D3805D-4375-46C8-9C8C-42BF22A4BED8.jpeg
    C9D3805D-4375-46C8-9C8C-42BF22A4BED8.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 151

montanamike

Reaction score
Got ‘em!
The sizing seems perfect… a little narrow at the very top of the ankle, but doesn’t seem like it will matter, as I don’t think I’ll ever tie them that high. I used the stock fit instructions and they definitely seem to have worked… 10E seems to be my size. There’s a good amount of room in the toe box, but they’re still “snug”. I ordered these because I need some actual work boots… and I wanted to also verify the sizing that I chose for my MTO Roberts (ordered in October, due in about February) I believe I chose correctly. I’ve been wearing these around the house for the last few hours, and they feel great.
The stitching is amazing, very good and symmetrical. There is great arch support (which was what lead me to Nicks in the first place)
So far I don’t think these will be too rough to break in (I’m sure I’ll eat those words).
Can’t wait to see how these age. They have a side porch conversion to a full bath, a mudroom and laundry room to renovate and an old garage to tear down, and a good amount of landscaping ahead of them, come spring.
Terrific looking pair!

bucky0486

Reaction score
Got ‘em!

Ooh, I love those! At a glance, they look just like my pair ;) (except mine are 8" with Honey soles and HNW last). When I saw your photos, my first thought was, "Which one of the StyleForum yahoos snuck into my house to take pictures of me wearing my boots?"

I will say that the break in was very easy compared to what I was expecting based on what the internet told me.

It sounds like you have a lot of the same projects as I do, so it'll be interesting to see how these two pairs wear compared to each other. So far, the only difference in wear I see is that I have a small stain from a drop of blood.

Reaction score
Nearly 1 month update on my officers:
I have been alternating these with my Wesco jobmasters depending on what other clothes I'm wearing, but they have been worn most days for 3 1/2 weeks, including up the rocky tracks going up the local hills.

They started like this:
View attachment 1718721 View attachment 1718722

And now look like this:
View attachment 1718723 View attachment 1718724 View attachment 1718725

Due to the wet conditions ahead (we got about 200mm of rain the following week) and an increadibly loud and annoying squeak coming from the heel counter on the left boot, I gave them 2 heavy treatments with Obernauf's HDLP (outside only) and a blow dryer, which darkened them considerably, but so significantly improved water resistance.

The squeak was still there annoying as ever, so I tried filling the heel with 50-50 isopropyl alcohol and wearing them until it dried. Didnt work. Went insane inside and out with talcum powder and wore them for a few hours, flexing my ankles to try and work some of it in. Then I finally made some progress.
I used a heap of the R.M. Williams brand "leather conditioner" on the inside of the heel counter and wore them around like that all day and most of the night. There was enough in there it felt squishy walking around, but it eventually soaked in, and what do you know - the squeak is tolerable and minimal. I also wiped the excess on my hands onto the outside of the boot, which brough out a rich red colour..

Only problem with that method was some seeped past just the heel counter and soaked through the surrounding leather, darkening it more than the other parts of the boot. It's barely noticeable unless you're staring at it though (I did try and even the effect on the other boot by doing the same though.)

These are definitely my favourite day to day/medium duty boots so far. Now I just need a pair in black with V100 soles ?
Greetings from Sydney
Great looking boot mate :) is that a veg tanned burgundy or a regular CXL color 8?
Would you please share some of other shoe size your wear? Such as Nike sneakers size or other Boot brand in comparison with these beauty, Thank you very much.
By the way, I also the use the RM William branded conditioner on my boots, they work very well in Australian climate.
Hope the squeak issue go away soon
Cheers

ll00ll00ll00ll

Reaction score
Ooh, I love those! At a glance, they look just like my pair ;) (except mine are 8" with Honey soles and HNW last). When I saw your photos, my first thought was, "Which one of the StyleForum yahoos snuck into my house to take pictures of me wearing my boots?"

I will say that the break in was very easy compared to what I was expecting based on what the internet told me.

It sounds like you have a lot of the same projects as I do, so it'll be interesting to see how these two pairs wear compared to each other. So far, the only difference in wear I see is that I have a small stain from a drop of blood.

Yeah, these already feel pretty comfortable in the ankle/upper area, right now it's breaking in the toebox that seems to be the "worst" part, but i really don't see what all the fuss has been about on the interwebs. Maybe everyone is literally used to sneakers or something. There is certainly some "break-in" to be done. I know in about 6 months these will be much better comparatively, but as of today, i see no real issues with break in.

TyrLI

Reaction score
Yeah, these already feel pretty comfortable in the ankle/upper area, right now it's breaking in the toebox that seems to be the "worst" part, but i really don't see what all the fuss has been about on the interwebs. Maybe everyone is literally used to sneakers or something. There is certainly some "break-in" to be done. I know in about 6 months these will be much better comparatively, but as of today, i see no real issues with break in.
I've had no real break in across four pairs. The only discomfort I felt was my feet getting used to the arch support for the first few days.

Reaction score
Greetings from Sydney
Great looking boot mate :) is that a veg tanned burgundy or a regular CXL color 8?
Would you please share some of other shoe size your wear? Such as Nike sneakers size or other Boot brand in comparison with these beauty, Thank you very much.
By the way, I also the use the RM William branded conditioner on my boots, they work very well in Australian climate.
Hope the squeak issue go away soon
Cheers

Hey mate, these are the burgundy veg tan. These are size 10E, which is the same as my Wesco jobmasters. The only other footwear I really wear are Converse and Vans, and I used to wear cheap chelsea boots to work, and for pretty much all of those I'd wear a 10.5-11.

The squeak has thankfully pretty much gone completely now. It was really loud and annoying for a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads