• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

cathpah

Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about Nick's Boots in other threads, and I recently ordered a pair for myself...but I just can't find a lot of info out there about them, either in a forum that cares about style, or in English. Seems like it's time to start a thread here on SF to gather some more information.

Here is the link to the pair that I ordered from Vermillyea Pelle in Dark Olive CXL, however Dustin (owner of Vermillyea Pelle) is customizing them for me so that they'll be a 6" boot with a different (non-black) tongue...the color of which has yet to be determined (waiting to see if Nick's can/will split down the dark olive CXL into a thickness appropriate for tongue leather. EDIT: They can. My boots will have a Dark Olive CXL tongue.). The sole will also be just a touch thinner, and the heel will be lowered just a tiny bit.

Looking at the Nick's site, it appears that they don't offer a traditional stacked leather block heel, so I believe it's Dustin at Vermillyea Pelle who is either doing it himself, or he has been helping Nick's incorporate that style/process into their workflow. Dustin apparently has many years of leather repair/cobbler work under his belt prior to opening Vermillyea Pelle, and I think it really shows, given how nice that block heel looks (I prefer it to White's offering in block-land.

Aside from Vermillyea Pelle (and dealing with Nick's directly), I know Baker's also sells Nick's Boots, so hopefully Kyle can share some images of builds that he's seen come through his store, too. I imagine he probably has a pretty good knowledge of available options for customization and leathers, too.

After wearing White's for a while (very similar to Nick's), I'm really looking forward to seeing how Nick's offerings will differ. Nick apparently worked at White's way back when, and left the company (1964?) out of frustration towards corner-cutting to start his own boot company, and used a lot of the same techniques and build elements as those used at White's. The company is now owned by a different Nick, who I believe is unrelated to the original Nick.

From what I've seen, the stitching looks beautiful and the reviews that I read on logger/smokejumper forums were very positive (even in direct comparison to White's), so it'd be nice to get a thread going so that people can share photos and thoughts/knowledge about Nick's.

Whatchya got?

Looking forward to receiving mine:

Last edited:

the shivman

Reaction score
I have been yearning for a pair of Nicks for a while. These aren't my pics/boots, but these are just a couple of builds from Japanese sites that have especially piqued my interest.

Mutombo

Reaction score
Subscribed, looking forward to your impressions.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered non-standard leathers on a boot directly from Nick's? Not a fan of the standard-fare leathers, but I'm intrigued by the boots.

Reaction score
I will be visiting Nicks tomorrow to go over production on our existing boots and to start sample making on FW 14-15 boots. I will try to get some factory shots as well as pick their brains on leather and last options [sprung toe]. Someone on the Whites thread asked about Horse Hide... Any other leather requests?

anrobit

Reaction score
I will be visiting Nicks tomorrow to go over production on our existing boots and to start sample making on FW 14-15 boots. I will try to get some factory shots as well as pick their brains on leather and last options [sprung toe]. Someone on the Whites thread asked about Horse Hide... Any other leather requests?
Bison, chromexcel in various colours, roughouts, some suede, horsehide, and maybe...shell cordovan?

Thank you for looking into this, by the way.

Last edited:

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
How does a boot straight form Nick's differ from one through VermilyeaPelle in terms of construction? Is it done entirely at Nick's or are some parts done in your shop. I think cathpah mentioned that you may be doing the heels? Are these standard Nick's lasts or do you have your own?

Last edited:
Reaction score
How does a boot straight form Nick's differ from one through VermilyeaPelle in terms of construction? Is it done entirely at Nick's or are some parts done in your shop. I think cathpah mentioned that you may be doing the heels? Are these standard Nick's lasts or do you have your own?
The boots I do with Nicks are custom heights with no top facing (the strip of leather up around the top of the boot). This helps to keep the boot from biting at the top of the shaft on 6" and shorter boots as well as creating a more clean, less stitched up panel of leather. All the boots I'm doing with them will have a block heel, either in a full leather stack and a toplift or with a short leather stack and a 4/8 Vibram half heel (as pictured). All the boots pictured on my site and this post were soled, heeled, and finished by me. I will find out tomorrow if I will still need to do the soling and heel work or if Nicks will be able to. All the edge finish work will still be done be me. Nicks x VP boots will mostly feature Horween and Charles F. Stead leather, as I bring Nicks the leather I use for my other goods.

cathpah

Reaction score
Horsehide, roughouts (especially a dark brown, which White's doesn't offer), shell cordovan (which White's charges a $500+ upcharge for over their CXL versions), and more of that waxed flesh/similar unique leather and treatments. I'm not huge into exotics, but interesting treatments like that provide a lot of uniqueness and intrigue without me feeling like a wannabe Crocodile Dundee. Also more of the rarer CXL colors (dark olive is great, and you're one of the few places that uses it...or certainly that "stocks" it) would be nice. Oh, and maybe something in Chromepak, if that's even possible (I know it's usually used for handsewns, but Viberg did a boot with it a while back).

I should add that I'm not really familiar with Charles F. Stead leather, so I'd be interested to see what interesting offerings they have...particularly pull-up leathers, or any really thick leathers for extra-rugged workboots, like White's' "smooth distressed."

Really excited to see what you're planning for FW 14/15.

Edit: As an aside, I really love the pure leather stacked heel over the short stack, but I know it's not always possible (I do love a Vibram 430 outsole). If you can find a way to keep the all-leather stacked heel an option--especially with any half-soles like the commando--I think that'd be ideal.

Edit2: Woah, just took a look at the Stead leather website, and it looks like their waxed Kudu is actually Kudu (unlike Alden's "kudu"). I have no idea if it's any good, but that kind of thing would intrigue me, too. My aversion to exotics is more aimed at crocodile/lizard/ostrich type thing...but a good functional/non-show-off leather with different characterstics than a traditional cow-leather is very much welcome.

Last edited:

ben2t

Reaction score
hey Shivman are those the 4" oxford or the regular 3"? I am really digging for Nick's oxford.

Last edited:

ben2t

Reaction score
They might consider making a repro of Army Service Boots!

JVK1

Reaction score
I'd love to see a pair of Army Service Boots. Can we ask about that?

As far as leathers, I'd be interested to see if they'd offer Chromepak or a black leather with an interesting finish, and would like to hear about the Charles Stead leathers offerings in general. What exactly do they provide? Thanks so much!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads