• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I wonder what Nick's last is similar to Whites #55( semi-dress?

I'm wearing my Nicks Falcon as I type, have had them for about 2.5 years. I have 2 pairs of White's SD in 55 as well and the arch ease is purely a White's thing.

What I'm saying is, if you are planning on using the boots to work in and/or stand a lot, the White's will give you more support.

Another super annoying thing with my pair of Nicks Falcon's is that the top of the boot was cut too wide so when I tie them the top eyelets nearly meet. That may just be my pair though. And the break in on mine was brutal, though that may in part have been an artifact of waxed flesh.

Both my SD's were comfortable right out of the box.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Falcon is not built on #55 or any other of their arch ease lasts, while their SD-analogy "Robert" and many other models are.

tallyho

Reaction score
I'm wearing my Nicks Falcon as I type, have had them for about 2.5 years. I have 2 pairs of White's SD in 55 as well and the arch ease is purely a White's thing.

What I'm saying is, if you are planning on using the boots to work in and/or stand a lot, the White's will give you more support.

Another super annoying thing with my pair of Nicks Falcon's is that the top of the boot was cut too wide so when I tie them the top eyelets nearly meet. That may just be my pair though. And the break in on mine was brutal, though that may in part have been an artifact of waxed flesh.

Both my SD's were comfortable right out of the box.
Thank you for sharing your experience. So, you means SD and Falcon only similar on the upper?

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience. So, you means SD and Falcon only similar on the upper?

Falcon is built on their HNW last which is the same/similar to White's Northwest last, i.e. flatter than Kansas.

If you want a similar-styled boot built on their #55 last check out "Robert".

tallyho

Reaction score
Nick’s use the #55 as well, it’s almost the same as White’s but I think they build the arch-ease a bit differently so they don’t feel exactly the same.
Interesting! So their appearance will be the same, right?

tallyho

Reaction score
Falcon is built on their HNW last which is the same/similar to White's Northwest last, i.e. flatter than Kansas.

If you want a similar-styled boot built on their #55 last check out "Robert".
Thanks! Actually, I'm looking for an alternative boots for White's BH

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Falcon is not built on #55 or any other of their arch ease lasts, while their SD-analogy "Robert" and many other models are.

Thanks for the clarification.

That explains it.

mlwdp

Reaction score
I recently contacted Nick's the other day about making the Ranger boot MTO and asked them if they could do it in Horsehide as I like the William. They said sure and looking at a $60 charge. That's awesome.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
I recently contacted Nick's the other day about making the Ranger boot MTO and asked them if they could do it in Horsehide as I like the William. They said sure and looking at a $60 charge. That's awesome.

Yeah, apparently they are game for all sorts of MTOs that cannot be configured in their webstore, arrangements have to be made and details discussed on the phone & by email.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And given that Wesco has a $160 up-charge for HH that seems pretty good...

mlwdp

Reaction score
I did confirm with over email about the pricing of the Ranger in Horsehide. They said it's the same price as the Robert in Horsehide ($605). I really like the sleekness of the Ranger. I also asked them about the break in and they said it would better than the thick leather they normally use.

IMG_4560.JPG

mlwdp

Reaction score
Yeah, apparently they are game for all sorts of MTOs that cannot be configured in their webstore, arrangements have to be made and details discussed on the phone & by email.

Unfortunately, they can't make the Hot Shot or Builderpro Contender in Horsehide. That would've been crazy!

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Unfortunately, they can't make the Hot Shot or Builderpro Contender in Horsehide. That would've been crazy!

This is what they told me back in August, about making a Builder Pro in horsehide:

I said:
On your online boot builder, one cannot spec a "workboot" using your fancier leathers; is there any way to make a, say, Builder Pro with your horsehide?
Nick's CS said:
Unfortunately, we don't offer the work boots in "dress leathers" online. This would have to be special ordered.
I said:
How would one go about placing a special order on a ”dress leather” workboot?
Nick's CS said:
We would handle the special order through email and phone call.

I didn't proceed with it at the time as the rates at which they ship to EU are nothing short of redonkolous, but up until now I have been satisfied in knowledge that this is even an option; they told you it's not, in as many words? :-(

mlwdp

Reaction score
One of the employees told me over the phone, but I guess you could try to work it out and buy them while putting it in a special order.

miggyramone

Reaction score
How does the Brown Domane leather compare to Brown Chromexcel? Nicks claims it's identical but a reviewer on their site said it has a shade of red to it. Thanks! I'm debating between the Nicks Robert and the Whites Bounty Hunter as a second pair of boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads