1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Nick's Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cathpah, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mathfish

Mathfish Senior Member

I look forward to your post

2. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior Member

These were straight Contender #55 last Foresters in black, originally. I bought them new off of e-bay. I mainly used them as my "going to work" boots when I worked at the railroad. In addition, usually if I grabbed a "go-to" pair, these were the ones.
    The left boot was originally one width wider than the right (as I said , they were from e-bay). This rebuild made both sides the same width. The sole is the #430, and the vamp/counter leather is Tan Teton. I wanted to try something a little different, and I think the Teton will look really nice after it wears for a while. Other than a pair of Drew's lace to toe Packer's (made by Nicks), these are the only other pair of Nicks I have. I have 20+ pairs of White's. This rebuild was about three weeks, not including shipping. IMG_0797.JPG

3. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

I dig em’. Logger heel instead of dogger eh?

What are your thoughts on Nicks 55 last vs White’s?

I just received a pair of Roberts and find their 55 a little “punchier”. Same with their steel toe try-on boots I tried on last night.

4. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior Member

Well the man did say...... "these are the only other pair of Nicks I have. I have 20+ pairs of White's."

In my experience I prefer White's but I only have 2 pairs of White's (SD) and 1 pair of Nick's (Robert).

5. chicken1616

Let me preface this with: While I think that some of the models, as I put forth, are "more stout" than the others, I don't think 99.9% of the people on this board would ever come close to seeing any difference in durability. All White's and Nick's will last a long time.
    This is only about durability:
    The Hathorn Explorer models are made to compete with off the shelf "top line" work boots like Wolverine and Red Wing. I have a pair, and I think they are better than those.
    The straight Hathorn models are probably a half-step below Contenders, and a half-step below the Hathorn Hi-Line, by virtue of less construction steps (stitching, mainly). That said, I don't think it makes any difference in durability.
    I think the Contenders and Hathorn Hi-Lines are comparable in construction. Lasts are different. And by Contenders, I am including all McKay stitched Nicks.
    Next up, I would put White's, SJ, etc.
    At the top, I would put welted Hot Shots.
    I would like to re-iterate, none of this durability makes a difference to 99.9% (and probably 100%) of people.

So what are you left with? Options, fit, and customer service.
    The #55 Contender is lighter than a comparable SJ, noticeably so. That is the reason why I usually picked it to wear, if I just grabbed something. I wore steel-toe, metatarsal guard SJ's and Hathorn EH's at the railroad because I needed to, but I don't feel like swinging a heavy boot like that if I am not working. But even a non steel SJ is heavier than a Contender. I am also getting away from the #100 sole, unless needed. It wears longer, but it is clunky (foot controls) and HEAVY. In the bigger sizes that I wear, HEAVIER and CLUNKIER:). For casual/normal use, the #430 and #269 (for dressier) are my picks.

The #3 toe looks better than the Nicks #4 toe and the SJ toe (very similar), IMHO, but that's me. The #3 Nicks #55 last is narrower, somewhat like the White's #55, but not exactly. The leather options are probably more so with White's overall, but Nicks has some leather that White's doesn't. Most of this is just personal preference.

I honestly prefer White's customer service. I think they are more communicative.

That said, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Personal preferences.

If I was an office type person, and I wanted to pick an all around if I only had one pair?
    For Nicks, the Contender Ranger 6" #430 in Walnut with a medallion toe cap.
    For Whites, (this is a tough one), probably a SJ 6" #38 Swing, #430, 1/8" higher heel, half-slip, in Red Dog, with a medallion toe cap.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018

6. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

@chicken1616 - THANK you for the excellent & thoughtful write up! I’m in 100% agreance of your analysis of top tier “off the shelf” brands vs White’s/Nicks entry level vs their Work line. I could not have put it any better.
    The Hot Shots I tried on last night are the most substantial boot I’ve ever put on my foot & ive been wearing boots across this spectrum for over 20 years. For my line of work I also find the 100 sole to be clunky but unfortunately Nicks has only ASTM certified them with that sole (specifically in “Red X”). In regards to leather options, White’s also has more bandwidth with soles as well. My Farmer/Rancher steel toe’s have the 700 sole which is much lighter & holds almost no mud (wife approved).
    Apologies if I strayed a bit off topic.

Enjoy your “new” boots!

7. chicken1616

Couple of pics in wear. These are 8" Nicks Packer false tongues. These Contenders kind of have a western saddle shoe look now, which I dig.
    BTW, if you run false tongues (I do on everything, including SD's), the Nicks are way better. You can get them in any length, and they are angle cut at the top so they don't move over. IMG_0798.JPG IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

8. andy b.

andy b. Senior Member

I have a pair of the Nick's Hot Shots, 6", LTT, Tan Teton leather. They are quite substantial and the Tan Teton is the heaviest boot leather I have ever dealt with. It took weeks to break them in.

9. chicken1616

Pic?

10. andy b.

andy b. Senior Member

Here is a post I made right before I sent them for a resole. I'll see if I can get a new pic today.

11. Mathfish

Mathfish Senior Member

Nicks Roberts does the sizing match up to White's Boots exactly. I have Smoke jumper & semi dress in 55 and 461.
    I also have Nick's packers in the same 9.5 ee. Very happy with how all the boots fit.

12. Crit_Obs

Crit_Obs Well-Known Member

I would like to say yes but with the caveat that the arch position is not identical, so if one's White's fit 100% right on the arch with no room for error then TBYB a pair of Roberts, IMO, FWIW, my $0.02 etc.

13. Rolanberry

Rolanberry Well-Known Member

Kyle at Baker's told me Nick's tend to fit half a size larger than White's, when it comes to the 55 last, and that seems to be what I've noticed as well. I can't speak to any other lasts though.

14. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

Nicks sized & built my Roberts in 12B. I went through the full try-on process to ensure perfect fit which they are.
    I wear an 11.5D in my White’s Bounty Hunters & MP’s. I feel like these are a great fit as well.

15. Mathfish

Mathfish Senior Member

Thank you all.
    I'll go through the fit sheet process to ensure a proper fit.