1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nick's Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cathpah, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ahonobaka

ahonobaka Active Member

There are plenty of images out there of boots in walnut and chocolate smooth browns, however I was wondering if anyone could post pictures of leather samples they've received from Nicks or actual boots made in these leathers that they own? I've seen the Walnut evo pics on Zuriick's blog, and the infamous chocolate browns posted here, however the Chocolate in particular seems to look incredibly different depending on the light, the person taking the picture etc. and I'm really just trying to get ideas on how this leather looks. I plan on getting the welted Classic Packer but am 50/50 on the color; Chocolate is more then standard packer color, but walnut has such a nice polish to it (yet lightens up with wear)...Any help is much appreciated!

2. ahonobaka

ahonobaka Active Member

3. themonster

themonster Well-Known Member

4. meso

meso Distinguished Member

How so?

5. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

Maybe not improperly attached, but there certainly is a fair amount of wrinkling in the leather on the vamp around the welt. Probably the sort of thing you would not notice much in real life, where you don't get such a close up view. and if you were to wear these on a real worksite where they got muddy or beat up pretty quickly you wouldn't think twice about it. But it is a little disappointing in a boot that shows such nice construction everywhere else.

6. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed that too, it would have bothered me and I would have sent them back...but I wear them for both work and office dress so I'm a little fussy...plus at $400+ one should be fussy IMO.

James

7. ahonobaka

ahonobaka Active Member

^You'll see this on a majority of Nick's but this isn't a quality control issue, rather, it's "just the leather bending around the stitchdown construction. With stitchdown, the leather makes a very sharp bend at the base of the uppers where they join the sole, and some wrinkling there is not unusual. It tends to lessen as the leather relaxes into its new shape." (lifted from Hollows on another forum who knows his leather).

8. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

I am sure this is basically right, but he fact is that you just don't see the same wrinkling on, e.g., Viberg stitched down boots (or at least I haven't seen it), so it's not inevitable..

9. b-ewing

b-ewing Distinguished Member

James, is there a pair you haven't sent back? Bakers must love you :D ;)

In all fairness, it'd bug me too. Is it really possible that this is a stitch down issue??Never seen on a pair of Wesco or Vibergs both of which are true stitch down, let alone a pair of White's, which uses the same quasi rolled welt "stitch down" construction as Nick's.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

10. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior Member

I was considering a pair, but for $450 the creasing seems pretty excessive to me.
    [​IMG]

11. b-ewing

b-ewing Distinguished Member

^^ Are you referring to the creasing along the shaft, as shown in the picture you post?

If so, note that's just a plain fact of life unless you never plan on wearing em!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

12. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior Member

Yeah, I'm a fussy customer, but I freely admit when the error was mine (like my 1/2 size too big SD's) and will pay for that to be corrected. I think Kyle has learned how to deal with me, if it's not right, I'll send it back so don't bother sending it to me at all, but if I get what I want, I'll buy 5.

James

13. ahonobaka

ahonobaka Active Member

I think a contributing factor may also be the leather that's used...It's been mentioned before in this thread that their stock leathers have a more "plastic-y" quality to them so it doesn't surprise me that it'd react that way initially. I'm curious to see how other leathers react but we can't really know until people start buying more and posting pictures ;)

That said, there's no doubting the durability and construction of these boots. This is purely cosmetic and we have to remember that Nicks caters to actual work boots despite them starting to branch into more lifestyle/fashion products as of late. It'd be worth bringing this up to them as the new management is open to feedback and it'd be interesting to see how they address this (as an issue or non-issue).

14. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior Member

I have a pair of their oxfords on order(which is part of that initiative to cater to other than work boots market), should be here in the next couple weeks I hope. I will post detailed pics and review of them compared to my White's for the communal database.

James

15. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior Member

I just think these veiny creases are a bit ridiculous for $450 boots. Compare them to these: [​IMG]