Nick's Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cathpah, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dtpdta

dtpdta Active Member

These the ranger with a vibram honey? The sole looks less bulky than other pics I have seen. Did you order and customize these through Nicks?

2. TheBlackGoat

TheBlackGoat New Member

They were ordered through bakers.
    The sole and heel are stock height.
    It may look thinner due to the honey vibram blending with the natural mid sole.

The Tan Teton is a nice rugged leather. Already starting to age nicely

3. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Please forgive the newbie question. In the bottom picture, the shaft /uppers looks to have loose grain wrinkling or is that normal?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

4. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Yeah they look great to me. A classic workboot shape. Not too bulbous at all.

5. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

6. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

So gonna place my order for a pair of Nick's oxfords. Talk to Kyle via email and he said to order the baker's oxford and specify Nick's to build it to my specs. Would be in already but alas their website locked me out so will have to wait until next week. Gonna do a Burgundy mexcel leather lace to toe with leather midsole and commando mini lug. Kyle told me which last and toe to specify to get the widest toe box so I'm eager to see what comes back. This whole game is like Russian roulette!

James

7. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

James, you're on a bender right now- my kinda guy!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

8. Midguardian

Midguardian Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a pair Nicks. My build of the day is a walnut smooth toe vamp and upper, with rough out toe cap and heel counter.

I am leaning towards the Ranger, but then was looking at the catalog last night and saw the Homesteader. The difference between the Honesteader and Ranger appears to be a classic welt (homesteader) versus mckay Kay lock stitch (ranger). Can anyone confirm? Is it it worth $50 to get a welted boot?

9. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I guess it is kind of a bender. It's taken me 42 years to finally find shoes that actually fit and look good too (kind of hard to dress up Keen's for work), and they are made domestically (I love British shoes and have owned several high end pairs but clearly they got some funky ass shaped feet as I can't understand how any Brit shoes are truly comfortable...or is it my feet that are funky shaped....hmmm), and well built and resolable for basically life if you take care of them....

I have purged the majority of my shoe wardrobe so now it is time to fill in the holes. Black chunky boot-check. Tan dressy boot-forthcoming, bugundy work casual oxford-Nick's forhcomimg, black work casual (will be a Wesco lace to to oxford), forthcoming.

There is so little information out there on the oxford's Nick's, White's and Wesco make. I guess I am among a minority that loves oxfords so will be getting a pair from each of the big 3 and will share my thoughts for those out there who are podiatrically challenged but don't want to look like a granola cruncher or grandpa.

James

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

10. dtpdta

dtpdta Active Member

I don't know how many people here pay attention to the Nick's boots instagram but they have some good stuff coming out now and in the future. Olive Chromexcel Roberts boots out right now (the Vermilyea Pelle version looks better though) and Moc toe boots coming in the future. http://instagram.com/nickscustomboots

11. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Maybe this is clear elsewhere, but is Nick's "mexcel" just the same thing as "chromexcel"..?

12. dtpdta

dtpdta Active Member

The olive and natural colors are horween chromexcel. The colors formally known as mexcel are now Domain black, brown, and burgundy. Those are from Seidel Tannery

13. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Lina,

Different tannery, and thus different name, but same tanning method. If I am not mistaken it's the same tannery as what wesco sources for its domain leathers

14. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

Any Roberts causal boots with some wear and tear on them? Curious how they look after being worn for a while.

15. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

It's Seidel. Viberg's used their stuff. Dayton's famous charcoal nubuck leather is from Seidel, actually.