1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nick's Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cathpah, Jan 29, 2014.

1. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

This is the single best thing about CXL!

Love the way it looks with an undyed leather edge (not sole edge), which is why I don't understand why sometimes (like Sixteen's "Stealth" boot) they go ahead and dye the leather edges. You get the worst qualities of CXL, but lose the best thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Those mostly weren't QC issues. That was just a demonstration of how they terminate the welt/out-turned upper on White's. It's much sloppier than Nick's. I don't think it's out of spec for White's—it's just one of their goals to finish it nicely, while it seems to be more of a priority for Nick's. I have another album for Alden, too. It's worse.

3. misterjuiceman

And then they went and left the midsole un-dyed for that stealth boot. What a mess.

1 person likes this.
  4. Beane

Beane Senior member

This is a new brand for me, they look great

5. Chris Tran

Chris Tran Active Member

6" Robert in stock. If you don't want to wait 6-10 weeks, I'm pretty sure this would please 90% of everybody.

These things smoke my Alden Indy and at $429, that is a savings compared to the $515 that my Indys in CXL command today. The eyelets on my two year old pair of indys are starting to come together because the leather is oilier and thinner than that used on NIcks and White's boots. I probably have less than a 1 finger spacing now compared to the 2 or so I had when I bought them.

Also I'd like to comment that the stock 10" black Hot Shot also looks really good and all the boots can be used as an indicator of how another can fit since the Hot Shot, Ranger, and Robert are the same boots +/- a sole or a leather option. For example if you asked for a 6" Robert in their stock Chocolate leather and a Vibram 430 sole, you'd be getting a 6" Ranger. Whereas if you were getting a ranger in Olive CXL and a Western Comp sole, it'd basically be a Robert. Both have the #3 toe and the same construction if I'm not mistaken.

For those of you dropping in custom orders, I'd just honestly tell them what you want without fussing with the naming convention. Their "dogger" block heel is also superior to the other company's offering.

Also I think if you mention Reddit, they're giving 10% off. My local dealer is giving 10% off (still gotta pay 9% tax) just as a gesture of kindness so I have no real motivation to call up HQ unless I had leather-specific questions.

I have a Ranger in Walnut coming, and I'm thinking if the Teton Tan option might be a touch loud to get on a matching pair, but with a structured toe and medallion cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Basichanwen

Basichanwen New Member

7. Basichanwen

Basichanwen New Member

Nice boots!How much money

8. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

9. dtpdta

dtpdta Active Member

I just got my Nick's boots in brown waxed flesh from Vermilyea Pelle. They are amazing. My favorite pair of boots right now. And Dustin was a pleasure to work with.

Here is the album on imgur

http://imgur.com/a/v8lsB

Here is a last comparison with OSB Trench Boots and Red Wing Beckmans

http://imgur.com/a/FOG7P

1 person likes this.
  10. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Those are fantastic. The waxed flesh is awesome.

11. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

You already know my feelings on these...but holy hell do I love these.

I cannot wait to get my pair (almost identical aside from a captoe).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  12. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

Got a good news/bad news call from Nicks a couple days ago.

Good news: Boots were done.

Bad news: They were done in olive chromexcel rather than the olive chromepak (that isn't even in stock yet)

Perhaps because my widths don't match, they offered me the messed up pair at considerable discount. When I was done picking my jaw up off the floor, I gave them my credit card number and here we are.

[​IMG]

Build details as I remember:

Cap Toe
    Natural Edge
    Vibram 430
    Dogger Heel
    10" Ranger
    #3 Toe
    Unlined (is how they came, I think I didn't specify)

On the chromepak ones, I'll probably switch it to black tongue rather than brown and request a lining. I'm undecided on dropping the cap for more variety.

More pics here: http://imgur.com/a/gjoWT

1 person likes this.
  13. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I had never even considered green as an option for leather choice but I would totally do an oxford in that exact leather! And your #3 toe looks rounder than the one discussed tonight on the white's forum, gives me more hope for my forthcoming burgundy mexcel oxfords. Stunning boots man! James

14. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I am curious about the difference between Chromexcel and Chromepak..? Can anyone speak to it? I've assumed they are very similar, though in pics Chromepak looks a bit less shiny. But wonder what the differences in tanning and/or looks are...

15. misterjuiceman

Chromexcel is chrome-tanned and vegetable re-tanned. Chromepack is just chrome-tanned. Both leathers are hot-stuffed. The full breakdown of the differences can be seen here: http://horween.com/leathers/full-tannage-list/

16. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

Beyond the tanning process differences, Chromepak has a pretty different feel and look to it. To say it's hot stuffed doesn't do it justice. It's like a leather foie gras, stuffed so full of waxes and oils it can't take any more. The surface is almost sticky and it has a strong kind of industrial smell. It's probably the most water and dirt resistant leather I've ever used. And while I find it kind of a pain in the ass to work with, the pull up is insane.

I did a run of belts in burgundy and natural over the summer that were pretty wild: http://imgur.com/a/1JoTt

You can see the pull up on the natural ones pretty good in this picture at the buckles.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. pe3brain

pe3brain Senior member

Can anyone help me with deciding on my next boot? I have a heavy workwear aesthetic, and currently only have black cherry beckmans and brown Chippewas. I'm not sure if I should go with a new brown boot, an olive boot, or a black boot help? It's gonna be a Cuban heel, mini lug sole, 6" Robert boot with captoe. Can anyone provide any pics of nicks in these colors? I see reverend's olive, so nicks brown and black leather offerings.

18. Chris Tran

Chris Tran Active Member

Just get what you like. I think unless you're going into the fray and need the traction, I wouldn't get the 430 sole. It rocks side to side since it's not perfectly flat. I would get the 700 sole, or the composition sole if you spend time indoors or on concrete only. It's still quite good for dirt.

The website has all the colors in CXL, I would get olive. It's the most interesting one I've seen so far.

Anyway wanted to share my 8" Ranger in Walnut. It's a stock boot so there are many more like it, but these are mine! Also dear GOD is break-in a real thing on the standard oil tanned leathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fucking hell those are sexy dude. Those are going on my phone wallpaper if you don't mind.

They fucked up with me too, they told me Teton Tan wasn't in stock cept in roughout. I was like ahh shit well I'll take olive CXL then. Then they called me two days later and told me it was in stock in a voicemail, but i took 24 hours to call them back and they had already cut the olive CXL.. but they ate it and are doin em in Teton Tan now! Gary and Frank are awesome to talk to by the way, they never run out of time for a customer.

I enjoy using the standard leathers that these companies have been using on the boots that made them famous. My problem is they are a bitch to break in. They bite your ankles to shit for those 80 hours lol. I got the first 8 done.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  19. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

Unless you're working those boots every minute, it is going to take longer than 80 hours.

20. CrackedCrab

CrackedCrab Senior member

Nice looking rangers Chris. You inspired me to get mine out tonight. I regret not breaking these in sooner. I wore a them couple times last spring then put them away all summer it was so hot here. And even though it's a no frills model, I like them a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014