• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

LouieBailie

Reaction score
You can't stretch boots. I've tried on two pair of high end boots. You can stretch them minimally Mabey a 1/4 size. Cathpaw all talk no results
That would be the most incorrect statement in the thread, it is even better than the guy asking how a "shoe stretcher" shrinks something....

I personally have stretched Vass, Edward Greens, Bespoke J. Lobb, Carmina. Trickers, Herring, JM Weston Alligator, RRL Bowery boots, Alden Shell Cordovan shoes boots (Indys), Wolverine Shell cordovan, Allen Edmonds shoes and boots in shell cordovan, Hanovers, Nettletons, FootJoys, all in alligator Russell Moccasin boots shoes and moccasins in alligator elephant buffalo, J&M Aristocrats, Florshiem Imperials, Whites, Nicks, and Wesco and Corcroran Jump boots. Plus many I don't remember. One just has to have to correct PROFESSIONAL equipment and know how to use it.

All the above will stretch their respective items for customers at their request.

Some of those few manufacturers might be considered high end ....
happy.gif

LouieBailie

Reaction score
"half size in width or length"

That would be a full size in width and a half size in length, the exact parameters listed for the Ultra Cam machines.....the same ones in every professional, collegiate, and hundreds of amature sports locker rooms to adjust the shoes, skates, boots anything that surrounds your feet........then add the professional cobblers and even high end shoe salons.

Nay no one stretches shoes/boots/skates/tennis shoes, say the Ostriches of styleform.
crackup[1].gif

westie187

Reaction score
Quote: Could you PLEASE start up a shoe stretching thread. I think I speak for many other members when I say this is getting tedious.
facepalm.gif

LouieBailie

Reaction score
Could you PLEASE start up a shoe stretching thread. I think I speak for many other members when I say this is getting tedious.
facepalm.gif
Use the block feature if you do not like to read the posts.....you are now blocked.

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, right, the block feature. Good, now this is back to a Nick's boots thread, rather than a Huberds and shoe stretching thread.

So, I think I have my Nick's build all finalized: 6" semi-dress, unlined, plain toe, soft toe, extra eyelets, so 6 eyelets, 3 speed hooks, 1 eyelet, or 5/3/1 (just want more than the default 4/3/1). No pull tab, 430 sole/heel, single natural midsole, lowered block heel.

And, the leather, *maybe* Natural Chromepak if they can get their hands on some. Otherwise, probably Brown CXL (I don't think I want another natural CXL boot probably).

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could you PLEASE start up a shoe stretching thread. I think I speak for many other members when I say this is getting tedious. :facepalm:

The new normal: Louie offers advice, then proceeds to act like a dick and taunt people if anyone questions or disagrees with his opinion, ******** up the thread.

Last edited:

misterjuiceman

Reaction score

The new normal: Louie offers advice, then proceeds to act like a dick and taunt people if anyone questions or disagrees with his opinion, ******** up the thread.

It's not really even enough to block him, either, since people who don't know any better come in here and listen to his nonsense. I'm not sure if he's a troll or not, but it's a terrible to have him in these threads.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He is for sure a troll. Anyone who blatantly gives incorrect advice (like being able to shrink shoes that are too big) is a troll. People often come here as a resource to gain insight from folks perhaps more knowledgeable than they are. So I hate thinking someone could make a terrible decision based on his idiotic rantings.

That said the issue is that people file the fire by continuing to acknowledge his rantings. If everyone simply chose to ignore him rather than respond he would go away much quicker.

westie187

Reaction score
He is for sure a troll. Anyone who blatantly gives incorrect advice (like being able to shrink shoes that are too big) is a troll. People often come here as a resource to gain insight from folks perhaps more knowledgeable than they are. So I hate thinking someone could make a terrible decision based on his idiotic rantings.

That said the issue is that people file the fire by continuing to acknowledge his rantings. If everyone simply chose to ignore him rather than respond he would go away much quicker.
If Louie is not a troll, and legitimately feels he's offering solid advice, (as Fok pointed out before his ten day vacation, and Louie's cool down period) then he should start a new thread. The incessant posts on Huberd's and the Ultra 80 machine are ******** up multiple threads. I came to this forum for exactly the reason Ryden posted earlier- there are people here who are much more knowledgable than I, and offer their advice in a polite, helpful, constructive way.

This is just getting old. It needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

westie187

Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about Nick's Boots in other threads, and I recently ordered a pair for myself...but I just can't find a lot of info out there about them, either in a forum that cares about style, or in English. Seems like it's time to start a thread here on SF to gather some more information.

Here is the link to the pair that I ordered from Vermillyea Pelle in Dark Olive CXL, however Dustin (owner of Vermillyea Pelle) is customizing them for me so that they'll be a 6" boot with a different (non-black) tongue...the color of which has yet to be determined (waiting to see if Nick's can/will split down the dark olive CXL into a thickness appropriate for tongue leather. EDIT: They can. My boots will have a Dark Olive CXL tongue.). The sole will also be just a touch thinner, and the heel will be lowered just a tiny bit.

Looking at the Nick's site, it appears that they don't offer a traditional stacked leather block heel, so I believe it's Dustin at Vermillyea Pelle who is either doing it himself, or he has been helping Nick's incorporate that style/process into their workflow. Dustin apparently has many years of leather repair/cobbler work under his belt prior to opening Vermillyea Pelle, and I think it really shows, given how nice that block heel looks (I prefer it to White's offering in block-land.

Aside from Vermillyea Pelle (and dealing with Nick's directly), I know Baker's also sells Nick's Boots, so hopefully Kyle can share some images of builds that he's seen come through his store, too. I imagine he probably has a pretty good knowledge of available options for customization and leathers, too.

After wearing White's for a while (very similar to Nick's), I'm really looking forward to seeing how Nick's offerings will differ. Nick apparently worked at White's way back when, and left the company (1964?) out of frustration towards corner-cutting to start his own boot company, and used a lot of the same techniques and build elements as those used at White's. The company is now owned by a different Nick, who I believe is unrelated to the original Nick.

From what I've seen, the stitching looks beautiful and the reviews that I read on logger/smokejumper forums were very positive (even in direct comparison to White's), so it'd be nice to get a thread going so that people can share photos and thoughts/knowledge about Nick's.

Whatchya got?

Looking forward to receiving mine:

These are awesome. Love that color!

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those olive CXL boots are pretty sweet.
Has anyone had a pair of olive CXL long enough to comment on how it ages?
Curious if it ages much as natural CXL does or if the olive tones remain.

Last edited:

dtpdta

Reaction score
Nick's has the 6 inch brown Robert as a ready made option for anyone wanting to get some without the wait. Anyone considering those?

ZenSilk

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Pic DUMP for y'all. These are @ 3 months, and I will admit I have been babying them. There is a small scuff on the inside left toe that is visible, this is from a branch. I use these boots for yardwork and also for play, and I do wear them to my place of employment occasionally.

I very lightly condition these based on how much **** they've been put through. I use coconut oil. I wipe them with a damp cloth and brush them as often as I can, which ends up being a wipedown/brushing 2 times a week.

The leather has been very sturdy and has been breaking in rather nicely. I use shoe trees in these.

As far as sizing goes I had to go down a full size from my dress shoe/Brannock size;
I'm a 9.5D Brannock...
- 9.5D AE Strand
- 9D Converse
- 9D Wolverine 1k
- 9D Danner
- 8.5D Oak Street Trail Ox
- 8.5D Nick's

I had originally picked up a pair of 9D. I did not understand how the boots were suppose to fit. The arch shelf was in the wrong place entirely and caused very serious pain the entire time I had the boots on, and the pain was too far forward. I realized that this has to be because the arch support was in the wrong place. I sized to 8.5 at this point. The boots were snug "like a firm handshake" and have stretched in width to accommodate my weird feet very nicely. The arch support is really unbelievably comfortable.

I recommend to anyone buying Nick's to walk around your home for a few days and make sure the arch support is in the right place. If you **** that sizing aspect up you will have a $450+ pair of torture chambers for your feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads