• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes are probably close to $8k or $10k.

It's insane to me that, when you spend this much money on a pair of shoes, you should have to look over the details when receiving them, like you're checking over someone's work. The whole point of paying this much money is that you're hiring experts to look after all these things for you.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes are probably close to $8k or $10k.

It's insane to me that, when you spend this much money on a pair of shoes, you should have to look over the details when receiving them, like you're checking over someone's work. The whole point of paying this much money is that you're hiring experts to look after all these things for you.

Are you going to comment on instagram? Serious question. Might be educational to GC.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Local gator not pleased by results of bespoke shoes
IMG_8300.JPG

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you going to comment on instagram? Serious question. Might be educational to GC.

I'm not on Instagram, so I can't comment. But I don't think the company is interested in hearing this kind of feedback, nor do I think they're unaware that such criticisms exist. When I returned my order and remake, I had a pretty lengthy argument with the Glasgows at a trunk show. We both made our positions very clear. I think Junior is more interested in who wears his shoes, rather than how they're made. I think Senior is also mostly interested in making money and company expansion, not delivering the best shoes he can.

Of course, as a customer, you can always go back to the company and bring up these issues. I have experienced this process myself and have been told by other Clev customers that they've gone through the same rigmarole. It's almost like a game. You buy shoes, check to see if they're a disaster, and then go through the negotiation process. Do you want a remake? Would you like to buy the screwed-up pair for a discounted amount? Or are you willing to take a partial refund and go on to the next order? So on and so forth.

But when you pay so much money, why should you have to look over your shoes at home? This seems insane to me. I am not a shoemaker and am not in a position to judge these things. I shouldn't have to post photos of my shoes online for feedback (often from non-experts). This is the whole point of hiring a shoemaker! Yet, when you go to Clev, this is the game you end up having to play. The bespoke shoe thread is full of insane examples of screwed-up shoes.

Honestly, I wish people were more forthright about this years ago when I first went to Clev. I wish there was more info about this online. Looking back, I should have known something was up when the very first page of the Bespoke Shoe thread was about a pair of screwed-up Clevs.

If I'm being honest, I think all of the major West End firms are slightly dicey, but Clev is the worst of them. I wouldn't go to any of the big West End firms for a pair of shoes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads