• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reverse calf maintains a finer nap than a true suede, as RC is the topmost layer where the fibres are shorter while suede is the split taken from further below the surface. They’ll all fuzz up to some degree, best to avoid hard brushing whenever possible as that’ll accelerate it. That lighter trick does work if there’s an odd looking patch, plus you get a reason to carry around a Zippo like one of the cool dudes

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reverse calf maintains a finer nap than a true suede, as RC is the topmost layer where the fibres are shorter while suede is the split taken from further below the surface. They’ll all fuzz up to some degree, best to avoid hard brushing whenever possible as that’ll accelerate it. That lighter trick does work if there’s an odd looking patch, plus you get a reason to carry around a Zippo like one of the cool dudes

Hm, maybe it's the brushing. The person selling those shoes on eBay claims they've only worn those three or four times. In eBay-speak, I assume this means twenty times. But I've owned suede shoes forever and have never had suede shoes get hairy on me. I've only had them go "bald" (can't think of a better word). Basically, the nap gets compressed and slightly shiny.

Maybe that person was a bit too rough with the brushing.

Will keep the lighter trick in mind, although that sounds scary on expensive shoes.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go at them with a wire brush trying to get some spilled hard seltzer off them, you’ll pull the fibres right out. The lighter trick is easy enough, hard to do any damage really - just wave the flame close until the longer hairs fizzle away, the main leather has some sort of herd immunity protecting it

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dieworkwear has a drawer full of deer bones, so I dont think he is falling for the lighter trick

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm, maybe it's the brushing. The person selling those shoes on eBay claims they've only worn those three or four times. In eBay-speak, I assume this means twenty times.
what they didn’t mention was that 3-4 wears was for a week straight without ever taking off the shoes while they walked a marathon everyday to break them in.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the two pairs of suede shoes I own, I'd say suede quality.

One pair I own has a couple hairy spots and has been worn a lot.

Another is a chewbacca pair, hasn't been worn much, and still got hairy.

A good quick brushing after each wear is what I do for both. I like these rubber style ones on the bottom. The bristle brushes I find are too harsh for suede.

Photo-2021-07-03-4-35-15-PM-scaled.jpg
Avoid the top one. I have found that a good horsehair brush just for suede shoes work the best should the shoes have no damage.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid the top one. I have found that a good horsehair brush just for suede shoes work the best should the shoes have no damage.
I agree on avoiding the top one.

I've used other bristle brushes and they don't clean as well the rubber one on the bottom. It feels like it sucks up the dirt and crud from the shoe pretty well, without damaging anything.

FlowableFill

Reaction score
It looks like travel restrictions to the U.S. are being loosened in early November.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like travel restrictions to the U.S. are being loosened in early November.
Green suede gatorskin loafers!!!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might finally happen! Looking at mid November to get the party started.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I’m fully vaxxed and down to party

unfortunately, we have all learned that buying shoes is a new fad, and that wearing Oxford shoes is a sign of somebody not knowing how to dress (and derbies are ugly, and loafers aren’t worth getting bespoke).

many of us will probably just wear sneakers with our tailored clothing so we look like we are making informed decisions on coherent outfits and are not new to wearing to dressing well.

sorry

(completely joking, you make some great shoes even some other posters feel that buying nice oxfords is a fad and shows a lack of experience in wearing clothes)

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
All the real stylish cats are wearing Oxfords with their carhartt these days. Didn’t you get the memo?

I had to google Carhartt. Wtf is that?

It’s a shame so many of the nice shoes you have made are no longer appropriate to wear today, now that the suit is dead and oxfords are frowned upon unless wearing a suit.
And with derbies tending to be ugly, and loafers being loafers…

well…, bespoke sneakers time?

ahhhh nevermind, I still think your shoes are great!!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads